What i have learned. Hunting trip.

kibafang90

What i have learned. Hunting trip.

Post by kibafang90 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Went on a hunting trip with a friend that lives to hunt.
He said my dog was better of a dog than his trained boys. And would love to borrow her from time to time.
Thing is she doesnt hear a word a stranger says :lol:

I learned that.
Some guns are freakin loud. Like deafening.
My weim didn't seem to give a care. Didnt even look. He was pretty amazed with the fact.Told me over an over. Couldnt get over it. Dont see why all the excitement. Dogs dont have a clue what a gun is...
Hunting is taxing on unconditioned dogs. Lots of agility ground work done.
He was very happy with how i can quickly send her to certain areas with my body language and a couple words. Again, dont see why he doesnt train his dogs the same. Wouldnt it make sense?

LONG day and my dog wore out real quick. He says he keeps his dogs severely conditioned for the long trips in different weather. Im my dogs defense, shes over 13.
I had fun but i learned a lot about myself. No more gun dogs for me. Ever. Ill stick to herding breeds in the future. I have my eye on the higher drive dogs.

Anyways, just a word. Not expecting any replies. Just sort of a journal out loud.

With that said. Why do you all like to hunt?

RichK

Re: What i have learned. Hunting trip.

Post by RichK » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Higher drive dogs? I don't think I've ever seen a higher drive dog that my GSP.

I like to hunt mostly big game. I did Pronghorn last fall, bear in New Brunswick this fall, Caribou in the Brooks Range next August, and then Africa in 2016. I also go for deer, turkey, upland, and waterfowl each year in addition to doing one larger trip like mentioned above.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 pm

RichK wrote:Higher drive dogs? I don't think I've ever seen a higher drive dog that my GSP.

I like to hunt mostly big game. I did Pronghorn last fall, bear in New Brunswick this fall, Caribou in the Brooks Range next August, and then Africa in 2016. I also go for deer, turkey, upland, and waterfowl each year in addition to doing one larger trip like mentioned above.

I have met a few lovely bird dogs that i know i would enjoy. But to keep my response simple. Ill stick to dog breed in video or breed closely related.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd2wD7aV6as

Bigger game sounds interesting actually. Brad was telling me how you stake out for a good animal. Thats when it all gets serious.
Thats very interesting to me.
Caribou. Thats amazing.

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:04 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
RichK wrote:Higher drive dogs? I don't think I've ever seen a higher drive dog that my GSP.

I have met a few lovely bird dogs that i know i would enjoy. But to keep my response simple. Ill stick to dog breed in video or breed closely related.

Bigger game sounds interesting actually. Brad was telling me how you stake out for a good animal. Thats when it all gets serious.
Caribou. Thats amazing.

Just like any hunting, it's not about the actual kill but everything that leads up to it and takes place after it. Upland is great because I can combine shooting, the outdoors, and my dog(s) into one activity. A bad day in the field is better than a day spent behind a desk working.

A good animal could take a lifetime to encounter but I wouldn't consider it time wasted.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:13 pm

RichK wrote:
kibafang90 wrote:

Caribou. Thats amazing.

Just like any hunting, it's not about the actual kill but everything that leads up to it and takes place after it. Upland is great because I can combine shooting, the outdoors, and my dog(s) into one activity. A bad day in the field is better than a day spent behind a desk working.

A good animal could take a lifetime to encounter but I wouldn't consider it time wasted.
:wink: 8) Nothin to say.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu May 01, 2014 6:33 am

Most dog people do not hunt just to shoot birds. It is very hard to explain to a non hunter. To me it has a lot to do with the dog work, but it is more about the whole scenario. It is not about how well the dogs are trained. Seeing the dogs doing what they are bred to do and purely enjoy doing it is the best part. That is what is about for me. It is not about having a robot dog that is trained like a machine.
If you think how much your Wiem enjoyed hunting imagine how much she would like it if she had started as a puppy and the fact that she does it for you. If not she would just eat the bird.
There is something almost magical about the action between a pointing dog and a bird. Some times I forget to shoot. That is when I know I got it right. The dogs always make my day better.
Certainly not telling you what you should do, but I think from your posts you may enjoy going to a gun club and shooting skeet, trap or sporting clays. You need to wear ear protection of course. With a little experience you might find that you really enjoy bird hunting. For sure your dog will and it gives you a good opportunity to hang out with your dog and have a good time. It is also good way to keep your dog in condition. Maybe shorten up the hunts a bit.
Don't give up on bird hunting and bird dogs to quickly it may be a perfect hobby for you. Especially since you seem to have a good repoire with your dog........................................Cj

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:52 pm

If it takes a lifetime to get a good dog might pay to evaluate where you buy dogs or how one trains....its not that hard, there are good dogs with tons of potential everywhere....

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by cjhills » Thu May 01, 2014 3:00 pm

birddog1968 wrote:If it takes a lifetime to get a good dog might pay to evaluate where you buy dogs or how one trains....its not that hard, there are good dogs with tons of potential everywhere....
I think they mean a life time of hunting to take a good animal. Don't know for sure

RichK

Re: Re:

Post by RichK » Thu May 01, 2014 4:25 pm

cjhills wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:If it takes a lifetime to get a good dog might pay to evaluate where you buy dogs or how one trains....its not that hard, there are good dogs with tons of potential everywhere....
I think they mean a life time of hunting to take a good animal. Don't know for sure
I was referring to taking a trophy animal. It shouldn't take a lifetime to get a good dog.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Gotcha....my mistake

JKP

Post by JKP » Sat May 03, 2014 5:58 am

For me hunting is like going to a concert....you're hoping for magic...it doesn't happen every time....but when it does, it is something that stays with you. I have killed a lot of game....but when I talk about my hunting experiences
I always seem to come back to those magical moments, those afternoons when the dog, the heavens and my gun were aligned and something just extraordinary came together....and when its with friends, its even better.

JMHO....

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat May 03, 2014 6:50 am

I like JKP's explanation. I live for hunting, and to be brutally honest I couldn't care less whether I ever shoot anything or not. I'm just as happy hunting with a camera as I am with a gun. That being said though, being out there with the dog, seeing him flush a bird and mark the fall, and then go through whatever heck he has to in order to proudly deliver it into my hand is a magical moment that makes those days when we do put something in the bag an unforgettable experience. Aside from that, I just love being out in nature, alone with your thoughts and sounds of the birds, animals and elements around you. It's something that cannot be explained to someone who doesn't hunt... It's a feeling... a state... that has to be experienced to understand. Being able to share that time with a dog - and even better, a dog and a little person.... Now that's what it's all about.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat May 03, 2014 7:04 pm

It's something that cannot be explained to someone who doesn't hunt... It's a feeling... a state... that has to be experienced to understand. Being able to share that time with a dog - and even better, a dog and a little person.... Now that's what it's all about.
This statement is as accurate as any you will ever read or hear. It simply cannot be explained in words!

Thanks CDN_Cocker,
Charlie

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun May 04, 2014 4:54 pm

kibafang90 wrote:...I learned that.
Huh?
kibafang90 wrote:My weim didn't seem to give a care. Didnt even look. He was pretty amazed with the fact.Told me over an over. Couldnt get over it. Dont see why all the excitement. Dogs dont have a clue what a gun is.
Mine do.
kibafang90 wrote:He was very happy with how i can quickly send her to certain areas with my body language and a couple words. Again, dont see why he doesnt train his dogs the same. Wouldnt it make sense?
Not really....mine know where to look better than I, mostly.
It's a nose thing.
kibafang90 wrote:I had fun but i learned a lot about myself. No more gun dogs for me. Ever. Ill stick to herding breeds in the future. I have my eye on the higher drive dogs.
I concur with your decision, if not with your confusion over drive and gun dogs.
kibafang90 wrote:.With that said. Why do you all like to hunt?
Why?...Oh, many reasons.
Making memories, renewing memories, sharing memories.
Carrying on or creating a tradition; the gift of watching a dog who is given opportunities, then develop with starts and stops to fulfill their genetics and our own late night dreams; the look in a dog's eyes as a point is approached...or a bird missed; the last hour of the day regardless of the habitat and the drive out to the hard road with the window down and maybe a high school football game on the radio; being gifted with the wonder of a new dog and, oddly enough, the sadness of losing an old one; the wonder of the point, the thunder and rush of a bird flushing, the cloud of feathers seeming to fall forever and the thump signifying success...love the thump; learning and gaining an ever-growing respect for the bird and where it is found; weather; new coverts or old ones yet to decline; swatting stuff out of the air and finding value in a scratched stock and worn blue; the accumulation of stuff, from examples of the rich literary tradition of birdshooting to the latest glove that at last will keep a finger or two warm(maybe); getting lost and finding you weren't; understanding what trusting a dog really means; a nice meal enjoyed....from a ruffed grouse with a side of Merlot and Mahler to a steak cooked by someone who understands both rib steaks and medium rare; people from landowners who shout "cover your beer!" to cranky old fellas who tell you about their first snow machine(Snow Prince); missing a bird cleanly and with a smile; understanding the concept of enough.
Really, the reasons to bird hunt are more plentiful than the seconds in a hunting day.
But, those were a start.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun May 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
kibafang90 wrote:...I learned that.
Huh?
kibafang90 wrote:My weim didn't seem to give a care. Didnt even look. He was pretty amazed with the fact.Told me over an over. Couldnt get over it. Dont see why all the excitement. Dogs dont have a clue what a gun is.
Mine do.
kibafang90 wrote:He was very happy with how i can quickly send her to certain areas with my body language and a couple words. Again, dont see why he doesnt train his dogs the same. Wouldnt it make sense?
Not really....mine know where to look better than I, mostly.
It's a nose thing.
kibafang90 wrote:I had fun but i learned a lot about myself. No more gun dogs for me. Ever. Ill stick to herding breeds in the future. I have my eye on the higher drive dogs.
I concur with your decision, if not with your confusion over drive and gun dogs.
kibafang90 wrote:.With that said. Why do you all like to hunt?
Why?...Oh, many reasons.
Making memories, renewing memories, sharing memories.
Carrying on or creating a tradition; the gift of watching a dog who is given opportunities, then develop with starts and stops to fulfill their genetics and our own late night dreams; the look in a dog's eyes as a point is approached...or a bird missed; the last hour of the day regardless of the habitat and the drive out to the hard road with the window down and maybe a high school football game on the radio; being gifted with the wonder of a new dog and, oddly enough, the sadness of losing an old one; the wonder of the point, the thunder and rush of a bird flushing, the cloud of feathers seeming to fall forever and the thump signifying success...love the thump; learning and gaining an ever-growing respect for the bird and where it is found; weather; new coverts or old ones yet to decline; swatting stuff out of the air and finding value in a scratched stock and worn blue; the accumulation of stuff, from examples of the rich literary tradition of birdshooting to the latest glove that at last will keep a finger or two warm(maybe); getting lost and finding you weren't; understanding what trusting a dog really means; a nice meal enjoyed....from a ruffed grouse with a side of Merlot and Mahler to a steak cooked by someone who understands both rib steaks and medium rare; people from landowners who shout "cover your beer!" to cranky old fellas who tell you about their first snow machine(Snow Prince); missing a bird cleanly and with a smile; understanding the concept of enough.
Really, the reasons to bird hunt are more plentiful than the seconds in a hunting day.
But, those were a start.
Very well said and so true!

Charlie

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:35 pm

I really am out of the norm on this forum! I am a non hunter in a room of hunters, i guess what should i expect.
I TRY to see the best in hunting. But i try and try and i can not see it.
I'm not sure if i should stay back in "my corner" of the dog world with my herding breeds, and stay gay over my ringsport, PP, and agility.
BUT i DO have this craving. I want to understand hunting! Badly.
Thank you all for trying to help me see the beauty! It is very amazing to feel your comments. :)
Ehrfurcht!! 8)

-kiba

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 09, 2014 5:24 am

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 09, 2014 5:24 am

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:43 am

You must have an unquenchable love for the outdoors, not a passing wish to take a walk once in awhile....go to a truly wild place 100 miles from nowhere and take a dozen mile walk.....its an experience in solitude some folks can't stomach. If you love that then add a beautifully gaited independent dog that can float over the ground .....a gun isn't really necessary. Except to eventually reward the dogs work.

A good number of people can't take such solitude alone with only their thoughts....but if you can and it thrills you to be in such places you may begin to understand.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:07 pm

what websites for?

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:07 pm

kibafang90

Re:

Post by kibafang90 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:08 pm

birddog1968 wrote:You must have an unquenchable love for the outdoors, not a passing wish to take a walk once in awhile....go to a truly wild place 100 miles from nowhere and take a dozen mile walk.....its an experience in solitude some folks can't stomach. If you love that then add a beautifully gaited independent dog that can float over the ground .....a gun isn't really necessary. Except to eventually reward the dogs work.

A good number of people can't take such solitude alone with only their thoughts....but if you can and it thrills you to be in such places you may begin to understand.
Beautiful feeling, being off with a dog.
Maybe one day some of us on the forum could meet.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 16, 2014 2:16 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
what websites for?
From the goat website....

"Hi- does anyone out there use any dogs for herding their goats ? Seems that sheep are used much more for dog herding trials etc. I was wondering if anyone has any herding experiences of goats vs sheep.
I have a small farm and teach dog training and have dabbled in some herding. I would like to get some goats (since I prefer them so much more than sheep) that I could use for dog training as well....
any thoughts or suggestions. I'm looking for naturally polled types of goats (which do you think would be best)
with my previous horned goats, I have seen the goats use their horns to try to gut the dogs when they are threatened- so horns are out of sure ! they would try to put their heads underneath the dogs and thrust up....
Thanks for your thoughts ! btw i have working German Shepherds."

Obviously the goat site mention was regarding herding dogs...same as the chicken website. :idea:
The "working dog forum" would also appear self-explanatory.... :idea: :idea:
You have zero interest in bird hunting or desire for the sluggish birddog.....I gave you some options.
You be welcome.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
kibafang90 wrote:
what websites for?
From the goat website....

"Hi- does anyone out there use any dogs for herding their goats ? Seems that sheep are used much more for dog herding trials etc. I was wondering if anyone has any herding experiences of goats vs sheep.
I have a small farm and teach dog training and have dabbled in some herding. I would like to get some goats (since I prefer them so much more than sheep) that I could use for dog training as well....
any thoughts or suggestions. I'm looking for naturally polled types of goats (which do you think would be best)
with my previous horned goats, I have seen the goats use their horns to try to gut the dogs when they are threatened- so horns are out of sure ! they would try to put their heads underneath the dogs and thrust up....
Thanks for your thoughts ! btw i have working German Shepherds."

Obviously the goat site mention was regarding herding dogs...same as the chicken website. :idea:
The "working dog forum" would also appear self-explanatory.... :idea: :idea:
You have zero interest in bird hunting or desire for the sluggish birddog.....I gave you some options.
You be welcome.

Im sorry mountaineer it is ME not you. But i do not understand some words the way you say them. :| I do not understand the post. Sorry!
I do think you said below "you do not want to hunt or want a slow bird dog". But i DO want to learn most about hunting. :) And i already own a bird dog right now. She is not the best for ME and what i want with dogs, but she is "bleep" awesome NOT sluggish. And she does her best in what i ask her to do.
Again, i do not really understand the post.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Some folks like to talk in code or some supposed hi falutin language....makes em feel special. ;)

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm

kibafang90 wrote:... No more gun dogs for me. Ever. Ill stick to herding breeds in the future. I have my eye on the higher drive dogs....
:idea: ....and Good Luck in your endeavors.