Males or females

Country-Side Breeders

Males or females

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu May 06, 2004 6:42 am

What does everyone prefer...male or female dogs and why?

I prefer both. I have both in the house and if I didn't know any better, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the two. In the field, I like the determination my females have, but the longevity of the males I have.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu May 06, 2004 6:45 am

Its hard to say for me. I'm thinking I like the females better. This could be just because Bell is a female, and she is the best dog I've had...

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Thu May 06, 2004 7:40 am

i have both, but i believe that the females make better hunters. i have seen this true in all breeds and in different hunting disciplines.
but thats just my view...

ladylabtrainer

Post by ladylabtrainer » Thu May 06, 2004 8:54 am

We have always had male labs and then we took the sole survivor from a breeding of our yellow male and it was a female. At first it was different training her. Not used to females. My husband and her didn't click at all so I took over her training until last fall when she turned 18 months and she seemed to be matured. Now Ria and Dave are best buddies. I guess in the long run they are easier to train, I still like the bull headedness of males. We still have 2 males and now a 2 y/o female. She is a hoot to watch in the field. She loves this game. Our biggest issue is every 6 months and her heat cycle. The boys go nuts. So for 4 weeks, I have 2 complete idiots on our hands.

Helen

Post by Helen » Fri May 07, 2004 2:03 am

We have 5 bitches and one dog. I personally can't see the difference in them, in their working ability anyway. The only problems we have is when one of the bitches are in season, especially when we are doing the counts as Harvey just stops eating.

I think in future, we will stick to all bitches as it's just easier than having mixed.

Helen

raven

Post by raven » Fri May 07, 2004 6:33 am

Ravens a male no reason why I pick male mabey cause I am cheap and the breeder charged more for females. He said the only real differance he's evere seen was that females mature faster at least with Britts and humans

boykinhntr

Post by boykinhntr » Fri May 07, 2004 8:02 am

I think it depends. I have always had female's b/c they seem to potty train better ( they don't need to mark everything) and seem to be much more calm. However, I now have a male Boykin, Remi. Remi's training is going as well as I could ever wish for. He is a great worker and house dog. I got a male because I needed the bigger size. Boykin female's may barely reach 30# and I need one that is about 40. They just do better with geese at that size.

Wireviz_lady

Britts

Post by Wireviz_lady » Fri May 07, 2004 9:24 pm

LOL at Raven...Britts dont EVER mature. THey are pups forever! We had Britts when I was a kid and our Copper was a pup until the day he died at like 15yrs. Every day he would take a run around the section. When he got older the neighbors would have to call us to let us know he had pooped out about half way. D*** he was a good dog.
Bec
We have 3 males and 3 females right now and I kindof like my makes better...dont know why.

byrsta

Re: Males or females

Post by byrsta » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Stupid reason, but when I go hunting, it's guys weekend out, so I have always had a male bird dog. Besides being the only guy in a house full of women (Wife, 2 daughters, 2 female dogs, 2 female cats), I need some help.

Razor

Post by Razor » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Males. I never have to worry about the heat cycle during hunting season.

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:17 am

the females are #1 in my book..we have 3 males and 1 female GSP.

1 reason I don't like the boys: I hate sending dogs off the line and you see the males in the first 2 minutes or so fighting over who will have the last pee on that bush. Boy's have to mark EVERYTHING as theirs...guess it's a guy thing. But you don't see the girls running out there peeing on all the bushes! :)

I just prefer the female dogs.

I prefer the mares over the geldings also. I prefer the "attitude" of the mares over the geldings.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:59 am

Did anyone notice that this thread was 4 years old? Not that it's not an OK topic, but there are much newer verses to this particular song to contribute to.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:12 am

Holy Revived Thread Batman!

GDF was scarcely over a month old when this one was originally written. :lol:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

zachz

Post by zachz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Males for me, It may just luck I'm on my second male GSP, we have a female Golden and female Britt. With my first male gsp, he was so even tempered, he would share his food, toys, bones, even a meaty bone from the butcher. You could call for him, whatever he was chewing he brought it back and would give it you me. With the girls though, when I call them they go the other way, I have to get them cornered, pry whatever it is from there mouth while there growling and snarling the whole time, when I get it away there fine, they know the routine. The new boy at 8 months is already acting like my old boy, very cooperative. The only reason I take the chew things away from them is I don't them have that stuff unnattended.

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:18 pm

I like males because I feel like I can identify with them a little better. They're hard headed and reckless, like to pee on things, get stupid around females in heat. It's probably imaginary, but I do feel like I have a little better idea of what's going on in their heads. It makes me think they are funnier too. I grew up with females, but have only had the two males as my own dogs. They are more like me. They are great with each other as well. They share everything and have never had any aggression/possession problems with each other. No heat cycle is a bonus too.