the longevity of flushing breeds

Sharon
GDF Junkie

the longevity of flushing breeds

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:52 am

In the "hunting " section there are excellent posts on, " Best flushing breed for hunting swamps".. My post's subject was asked also in that thread. Thought it deserved a separate thread.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: the longevity of flushing breeds

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:36 am

One of my favorite dog's of all time is the Labrador. This from a guy with DD's. I had horrible luck with them. They are riddled with so many different health issues and for some reason, seem extraordinarily plagued by cancer. I lost three to it. One, Nipper was a Super Powder dog and died of eye cancer at about six years old. That is such a rare cancer they did a paper on her at Wisconsin State University, Madison. Then there was Big Bubba. What an animal. A son of Honcho, a clown, an incredibly gifted animal. He finished 14 licensed AKC trials in a row. I was breaking him out for the Open at 2 years old. I had just had a guy offer me $12,000.00 for him and turned it down. Then, he started limping. I took him to the Vet and he was riddled with cancer. Died in my arms at 2 1/2. Jenny. My and my son's great buddy. Small loving, great bird dog on land and water. Got cancer and her kidney's began shutting down. I went upstairs and took a shower, she wanted at the bottom of the stair for me. When I came down, I sat in my recliner, she jumped into my lap, looked up at me, whimpered and died in my arms. She was about 3.

I trained three tremendous field trial dog's that had hip dysplasia end their careers before 4. One of those still did become a FC-
AFC.

Can't speak for all the other flushing breeds, but I can tell you the lab's do have some health issues which the breeders are working to correct.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:49 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:36 am
One of my favorite dog's of all time is the Labrador. This from a guy with DD's. I had horrible luck with them. They are riddled with so many different health issues and for some reason, seem extraordinarily plagued by cancer. I lost three to it. One, Nipper was a Super Powder dog and died of eye cancer at about six years old. That is such a rare cancer they did a paper on her at Wisconsin State University, Madison. Then there was Big Bubba. What an animal. A son of Honcho, a clown, an incredibly gifted animal. He finished 14 licensed AKC trials in a row. I was breaking him out for the Open at 2 years old. I had just had a guy offer me $12,000.00 for him and turned it down. Then, he started limping. I took him to the Vet and he was riddled with cancer. Died in my arms at 2 1/2. Jenny. My and my son's great buddy. Small loving, great bird dog on land and water. Got cancer and her kidney's began shutting down. I went upstairs and took a shower, she wanted at the bottom of the stair for me. When I came down, I sat in my recliner, she jumped into my lap, looked up at me, whimpered and died in my arms. She was about 3.

I trained three tremendous field trial dog's that had hip dysplasia end their careers before 4. One of those still did become a FC-
AFC.

Can't speak for all the other flushing breeds, but I can tell you the lab's do have some health issues which the breeders are working to correct.
I have lost 3 Labs to cancer - fortunately all of them lived a much longer life than yours. We are currently biding time with an 11 year old that was given 3 months to live by the vet 2 years ago. Of all the Brittany's I have owned I have only had one get cancer.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:59 pm

Wow. Some very sad stories posted.
I had one Jack Russell die from cancer too at age 9.
One Jack Russell stolen.

All of my GSPs and setters lived from 11-14.
Two TPLOs needed on the setter.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:20 pm

Sharon wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:59 pm
Two TPLOs needed on the setter.
Not cheap and certainly not convenient, as I have good reason to know. What kind of post op therapy/recovery did you do, and did they fully recover? Steve

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes, expensive, but this was an exceptional setter who did really well in AF trials.(I don't think I could talk my husband into it again. :) )I did exactly what the vet recommended ( see below) . 8 weeks later she was running around again and yes she fully recovered.

https://tploinfo.com/blog/what-to-expec ... o-surgery/

on the left is the TPLO dog , and Mom is on the right: all waiting nicely to see who gets in the car first. :)

https://imgur.com/a/5wRXxAm

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:43 am

I don't know that there is much difference in longevity between flushing dogs and pointing dogs. I would guess that with most hunting breeds that one can expect a dog to live 12-14 years. I know there are owners (myself included) that have had dogs die at a much younger age. I personally have not had a dog live beyond 12 and had some that didn't see 8.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:52 pm

That’s wild about the cancer issue. My fishing buddy has a lab that dying of cancer right now. I believe she’s 11 or 12 but still definitely seems to be an issue the breed has. My in laws had a Golden Retriever that died very young due to cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:20 pm

RatDog wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:52 pm
That’s wild about the cancer issue. My fishing buddy has a lab that dying of cancer right now. I believe she’s 11 or 12 but still definitely seems to be an issue the breed has. My in laws had a Golden Retriever that died very young due to cancer.
While there are exceptions, the extremely popular breeds have a predisposition towards such things. I suspect it is a matter of less than ideal breeding over a protracted period of time, but I wouldn't care to suggest that to people that own them. You don't get much more popular than Labs and Goldens. There is an enormous -- and expensive-- bunch of healthcare clearances that are required by many breed clubs, and in the less-popular breeds, clearances (CHIC is the acronym for Canine Health Information Center) are promoted as a reason to buy a specific litter. The popularity of these breeds mean that it is rarely done on a percentage basis by breeders.