Baths/ dry skin and loss of hair

amegslw16

Baths/ dry skin and loss of hair

Post by amegslw16 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:37 pm

So I have a 10 month old female black lab. How often should she be bathed she is a inside dog and wife is a clean freak. I never had a hunting dog, how often should we bathe her? What should I use for shampoo? She’s also getting lots of dry skin patches and loosing a lot of hair. Any similar thing with dry skin issues and loosing patches of hair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cicada

Re: Baths/ dry skin and loss of hair

Post by Cicada » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:50 am

Could be mange I usually give my dog some salmon oil pills to boost their immunity.

I only bath my GSP's 2 or 3 times a year or when they get into skunks like they did last week.

Grant

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:47 am

A bottle of shampoo lasts a long time, so the best answer is get some from your veterinarian. If you mention the dry skin, they will give you something appropriate. Dogs can have allergies, and that can definitely lead to problems such as you describe. Try (gradually) changing her food to some other foundational type of protein. A visit to a dog supply store such as Treats Unlimited will give you lots of choices. NutraSource has many types.

You really don't need to bathe dogs very often at all if you brush them regularly (depending on the breed.) You can probably get grooming information on labradors at the LRCA site. A grooming table will save your back and make it a lot easier to do.

Some oil supplementation is probably useful as mentioned above, but labs do shed and they shed a lot. Get your wife a Roomba e5, and let it pick up the hair every day.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:08 pm

Dogs who spend a lot of time on hard surfaces tend to get callouses on the joints that don't have a lot of muscle padding. Sometimes these callouses start out looking like dry flaky skin with missing hair. Something soft to lay on could help.

If your wife is a neat freak, then you'll have lots of challenges with a lab... You really only need to bathe if they encounter something in the field requiring a bath or if they begin to smell.

Good luck.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:35 am

I think the obvious question is, have you taken the dog to your vet for a professional opinion? You can get lots of suggestions and opinions on this forum or many others but a hands on diagnosis is what is needed. Skin issues can be really hard to diagnose and figure out. It could be mites, allergies, or any number of other causes.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

amegslw16

Post by amegslw16 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:01 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:I think the obvious question is, have you taken the dog to your vet for a professional opinion? You can get lots of suggestions and opinions on this forum or many others but a hands on diagnosis is what is needed. Skin issues can be really hard to diagnose and figure out. It could be mites, allergies, or any number of other causes.
Vet appointment has been scheduled for her, I just decided to put questions up in case someone else had similar Issue happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:07 pm

Is that the elbow? It looks like a capped elbow and that is sleeping on hard surfaces not diet.

Still, the dog needs fat in the diet in order to have a good coat, so check the fat level of the diet.

Do a lot of brushing to keep the dog clean instead of a bath. Sometimes rub the dog down with a damp towel for a mini-clean. Use a rubber or jelly curry type comb to remove loose hair. Get a Furrminator for shedding season but only use it for shedding because it will cut hair.

Baths are to get rid of "stinky". Stay away from scented shampoos. Anything made for horses is good. Horses have sensitive skin so their shampoo isn't going to harm skin or coat. I bathe with Orvus WA paste: one Tablespoon in a gallon of warm water add 2 Tablespoons of liquid glycerin, squeeze that through the coat, rinse well. be sure to get all soap out of the coat.