GSP Water Introduction

bayleymay27

GSP Water Introduction

Post by bayleymay27 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:14 pm

Back with another question about my GSP. I know GSPs are primarily upland game dogs but I’m an avid duck hunter, and I’d like to train him to retrieve ducks as well. When is an appropriate time to introduce him to bodies of water? He enjoys the back tub when I wash him but does anyone know when I should start to introduce him into bodies of water? I go to college in Tampa Florida so I can pretty much get him in any body of water year round because it’s not cold at all. I’m home in Georgia for the summers and during that time he will be around 6 months old. Is that too late or should I start getting him use to it while he is younger?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Water Introduction

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Bayleymay:
no ,that is not too late.
Once mine are retrieving good I use dead birds in shallow water. Just keep getting a little deeper until he has to swim to get it. He may have a problem at first but they figure it out. Most of my dogs are not natural water dogs. But once they learn they do very well.......Cj

bayleymay27

Post by bayleymay27 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Cj:

Thank you ! I will try that.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:20 am

I myself get right in there with them if it's just he & I. But the fastest way I know is if you have another dog that likes to swim as well as play with your pup. When the other pup/dog goes in your pup will really want to join in all the fun !

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:03 am

Florida ??? Watch out for Gators :!:

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:39 am

Didn’t think they used dogs in fla due to gators and sw crocs.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:09 am

Seeing as how you live in a warm place I'd get with it. I agree with Max2 and try to find someone else with a water loving retrieving dog and train with them. I have a GWP that is now 8 mos old, I started her in early August last summer and she was hitting the water with my older dogs. She even went in the water this fall and winter some in Idaho. But she also has a lot more coat than a GSP.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:40 pm

What you NEVER want to do, is to force him in to the water. My favorite way is to find a small pond or creek. The pond should have an island and both should be wadeable. I simply walk across them and if the pup doesn't follow, sit down. If you have an older dog, or have a friend with an older dog, bring them along and have the older dog swim or wade across the pond or creek with you. I never introduce retrieving until they are swimming well. Another GREAT method is to throw cheeto's in shallow water and let pup wade to them and eat them. Don't YOU eat them. :D Again, this gives him a very positive water experience with no pressure. Most dog's when older will just follow an older dog with not problem. I make a big deal of it and have fun with him in the water. I have three rules with a puppy: 1) Never throw them in. 2) Never pressure them. 3) Never get them in the water by asking them to retrieve. Picture is pup going through water into in very shallow pond. She didn't appreciate the CC. Image
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

JAY

Post by JAY » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm

I introduced by GSP pup to water immediately; namely in his 3rd month in the winter time. I would take his on leash to fields with small frog ponds and let him decide what to do. It turns out he loves ice so he would pound on the pond to break off a piece of ice to eat. A few months later we visited flowing streams that were big enough to make sounds. He was intimidated at first by the sound and movement but I didn't ask him to do anything but walk along with me by the stream. Later I would cross a stream and he would decide to follow after some nervous whining and provided I was right next to him. Then I tossed sticks into deeper streams and asked him to "fetch". He was nervous at first (whining) but went in to fetch. He soon liked swimming. That was when he was about 6 months old. So after 1 year he goes into all sorts of water (muddy ponds, ocean, rivers, etc) except he does not go into swimming pools unless I go in first and call him in.

In summary I did not force him. I encouraged him and gave him praise and protection.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Wed May 19, 2021 7:03 pm

Totally fell into this but I have had incredible luck with goslings! Dog starts swimming after them and they are not big enough to fly so flitter just ahead of the dog on the water! Dog won't want to stop.
Doyle

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Thu May 20, 2021 8:03 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:40 pm
What you NEVER want to do, is to force him in to the water. My favorite way is to find a small pond or creek. The pond should have an island and both should be wadeable. I simply walk across them and if the pup doesn't follow, sit down. If you have an older dog, or have a friend with an older dog, bring them along and have the older dog swim or wade across the pond or creek with you. I never introduce retrieving until they are swimming well. Another GREAT method is to throw cheeto's in shallow water and let pup wade to them and eat them. Don't YOU eat them. :D Again, this gives him a very positive water experience with no pressure. Most dog's when older will just follow an older dog with not problem. I make a big deal of it and have fun with him in the water. I have three rules with a puppy: 1) Never throw them in. 2) Never pressure them. 3) Never get them in the water by asking them to retrieve. Picture is pup going through water into in very shallow pond. She didn't appreciate the CC. Image
This is what I do as well. Cheetos work wonders, usually just you getting in the water helps.

I will also bring them along fishing trips. A fish flopping around in the water near show is usually too much temptation for a young dog with any sort of prey drive. They won't be able to stay out of the water.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 20, 2021 3:09 pm

bayleymay27 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:14 pm
Back with another question about my GSP. I know GSPs are primarily upland game dogs but I’m an avid duck hunter, and I’d like to train him to retrieve ducks as well. When is an appropriate time to introduce him to bodies of water? He enjoys the back tub when I wash him but does anyone know when I should start to introduce him into bodies of water? I go to college in Tampa Florida so I can pretty much get him in any body of water year round because it’s not cold at all. I’m home in Georgia for the summers and during that time he will be around 6 months old. Is that too late or should I start getting him use to it while he is younger?

Thanks!!

Never too early , no matter the breed 'Bayleymay' !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpdsdOmyuA8

Nyzk

Post by Nyzk » Fri May 21, 2021 9:42 am

I have trouble with my GSP she is scared to death of water wont go any were near it if its more then a couple inches deep I have tried to use her pray drive and treats but it didn't and if I go in she just stays on shore and whines and barks, she also hates baths.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri May 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Start at the start.How old is it?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon May 24, 2021 12:20 pm

Gsp or any other!
Starting at the start for some is easy , starting at the start creates an issue!
Allow me to expand with leisure of not seeing or knowing any history of personal knowledge of the OP' or the dog with the OP. Much like anyone else I presume.
I had a client with a dog that refused to walk through puddles , being in Scotland we have loads of them , even in Summer!
"infuriating behavior ,and down right annoying when the dog suddenly lunges out of the way and refuses to walk in the same direction as me on the safe path" she exclaimed !
Have you ever tried Running through the puddle ,just before the dog lunges to avoid it , I asked ?
"No was the reply".
I'll expand ....
If you want a dog to jump a fence at a particular point with a command word or action and there is no other option for the dog to achieve a self reward for the dog(like closing all other options such as restrictions physical to prevent that action) then the reward is for the handler/trainer achieving the result of the dog jumping the fence, but the dog had no other choice and is unlikely to have learned the command in real terms to jump a fence on a command word in all situations ?..In my understanding of a dog being introduced to water, or any other medium .
...In Text , you would think it is 'Force' , but in application it is merely allowing them (dogs) figure it out themselves without our help and encouragement (which normally confuses a young dog with applause from the touchline ,when it's doing it wrong :wink: )
A dog recently required me wading out and getting waist high in water ,but that's fine by me , he just required confidence to get his paws off terra firma and gain propulsion in water , like running ...lol
He became an accomplished Gundog, and 'excelled' in Waterfowl competition and Hunting in the UK and Sweden with his owner .
ps, I never used flapping live birds or any other 'tools' to entice /lure or cajole the dog to get in the water .I'm sure with right weather conditions/temperature , relative level of age and understanding and a whole lot of fun , be it a slipper or an old 'croc' shoe ..it should be 'fun fun fun'.

Nyzk

Post by Nyzk » Tue May 25, 2021 4:17 pm

I have tried going swimming with her but it just doesn't wont I have ignored her called her and every other idea on the internet but none of them worked could it be because there are no ponds or lakes that are over 40 degrees around here even in the summer?
she is 13 1/2 months old

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 25, 2021 4:52 pm

That's cold. Do you live in Alaska? :) Not all dogs will ever swim. I've yet to have a terrier that will willingly swim. I know you want your GSP to swim and return ducks , but maybe you need 2 dogs- a GSP for upland and a lab for ducks. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Nyzk

Post by Nyzk » Fri May 28, 2021 6:06 pm

No we don't live in Alaska thank goodness! :D we are going to Californian soon would it be okay for me to go swimming and throw bumpers in the water for her?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri May 28, 2021 6:51 pm

Nyzk wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:06 pm
No we don't live in Alaska thank goodness! :D we are going to Californian soon would it be okay for me to go swimming and throw bumpers in the water for her?
Safe an OK as long as the only Great White's where you swim are the fat people on the beach. You're welcome.

Nyzk

Post by Nyzk » Fri May 28, 2021 8:39 pm

Thank you! :D

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 am

Nyzk wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:17 pm
I have tried going swimming with her but it just doesn't wont I have ignored her called her and every other idea on the internet but none of them worked could it be because there are no ponds or lakes that are over 40 degrees around here even in the summer?
she is 13 1/2 months old
Don't go swimming with her, use shallow water and make sure she can walk on the bottom without getting to wet. Gently move out farther to play, if she stops, keep playing and come back in a bit. Never tried gone hunting's way but bet it works fine. I'd simply be sure that is was fairly shallow the first few time's. Don't overwhelm her with deep water from the start.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:40 pm

Another tip I think I might of gotten on here from a member who is no longer with us...if dog is treat crazy. By a bag of Cheetos and start throwing in shallow water. As their confidence builds move the treats further out.
Doyle

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:40 pm

You might try running him in the heat around water, be my bet he will find water to get in! :D