Fences and First Aid Kits

IDHunter

Fences and First Aid Kits

Post by IDHunter » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:14 pm

Combo topic here, as these two things are going hand in hand for me right now.

1. How do you guys train barbed wire aversion, or at least barbed wire "saftey"? My 8 month old blockhead has dinged himself pretty good a couple times on it, and doesn't seem to be naturally picking up on the fact that he needs to operate with some finesse around these fences. Hopefully that will come with maturity and continued exposure, but any recommendations on how to actually train this would be great. Our quail hunted ended today in the first 30 minutes when he laid open his ear on a fence. I swear a cut ear bleeds like a mortal wound... it was a tense few minutes until I figured out that it wasn't overly serious. I've got a couple ideas in my mind on how to work on this with him, but figured I'd see what you all suggest first. We'll be avoiding areas with fences as much as possible, but fortunately/unfortunately I have access on a couple pieces of private ground that both used barbed wire fences in several spots, so this could be an issue if he can't figure this out.

2. This incident got me thinking more about covering all bases when it comes to a field first aid kit that I'll carry on my person for all hunts. What do you guys carry in your vests when it comes to K9 first aid in the field? Do any of you carry a quick clot type product for your dogs?

Thanks

averageguy

Re: Fences and First Aid Kits

Post by averageguy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:00 am

I start training for fences at a much younger age and I select a spot where the fence is old and not as sharp. I start at a place where the path to duck under the fence is pretty obvious. I want my dogs to learn to duck under the bottom wire if possible versus trying to go through wires above and below them. They learn to go up and down the fence looking for place to get under.
Last edited by averageguy on Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:46 pm

So by training for fences you're basically just exposing them to the fences and letting them figure out that they need to look for a good spot to go under? Do you do any type of correction/reinforcement if they go through in a way that you don't want? I was thinking of using check cord and later an e collar for any times when he tries to run through without slowing down A LOT, and also for any times he tries to go between the bottom two wires as opposed to under the bottom wire, as that is what I'd prefer as well. Just curious if anyone sees any glaring issues with that approach.

I've had my dog around fences basically since day one, but he doesn't seem to have really caught on to handling them well yet. But I haven't tried actually training him on a way to do it, so that's the missing step that I think I need to address ASAP. It was an oversight on my part, as I was focusing on other things and the fence training just slipped my mind.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:10 pm

I select a reasonably safe spot where the fence is old enough to not be sharp and the path under the bottom wire is obvious. I call the pup, kneel down and encourage it go under, praise it when it does. Once we have that down I will do the same on a sharp fence. They are going to encounter sharp fences and it is better than I be there to teach them initially as I have new sharp horse pasture fences just below my house. I have also had my Wife on the opposite side so we could call the pup back and forth a few times, praising each time. That and exposure to lots of fences has been all it as taken for my pups to do well with fences.

My current pup did get caught on a barb and was yelping. I got her off and the experience was a good teaching moment for her. I could see her hitting a fence while in hot pursuit of something but otherwise I she seems to know how to handle them. My older dog could win a limbo contest for how low and fast he goes under a fence.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:37 pm

Good to train for them, but really doesn't matter. There are thousands of hidden, long abandoned, fences out there that can even get you SD is famous for them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:45 pm

Very true. Thank goodness that GPS units are now available. I have a bad memory of finding a beagle hung up/dead on a fence.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks all, some good feedback and kind of reaffirms what I was thinking. Will give it a go and will have to hope for some luck as well.

To my other part of the topic, do any of you carry anything like quick clot in your first aid kit? And more generally, what does your dog first aid kit consist of?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:13 pm

If you're going to try to close the gash, carry a safety razor so you can shave the cut first. Also clean any dirt out. Don't want any infection.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:37 pm

I carry a dog stapler in the truck. Never had to use it.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:44 pm

averageguy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:37 pm
Same with me. My big first aid kit is in the truck, just essentials in the field.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:39 pm

IDHunter wrote:Thanks all, some good feedback and kind of reaffirms what I was thinking. Will give it a go and will have to hope for some luck as well.

To my other part of the topic, do any of you carry anything like quick clot in your first aid kit? And more generally, what does your dog first aid kit consist of?
I don’t know how it works with dogs but in the Marines we were always cautioned to only use quick clot as a last resort. If I remember right they said they said once you get to care they have to cut out whatever the quick clot interacted with and be sure to clean it all out before closing. Better than dying but not pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:43 pm

RatDog wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:39 pm
IDHunter wrote:Thanks all, some good feedback and kind of reaffirms what I was thinking. Will give it a go and will have to hope for some luck as well.

I don’t know how it works with dogs but in the Marines we were always cautioned to only use quick clot as a last resort. If I remember right they said they said once you get to care they have to cut out whatever the quick clot interacted with and be sure to clean it all out before closing. Better than dying but not pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that makes sense, guess I've heard similar as well when talking about back country first aid for big game hunting. Good call.

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:46 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:44 pm
averageguy wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:37 pm
Same with me. My big first aid kit is in the truck, just essentials in the field.
What essentials do you carry with you in the field? Gauze, vet wrap, booties, Benadryl? That's basically what I'm thinking for a bare bones kit... perhaps minus the booties.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:19 am

No boot's, that can wait until I get back to the truck. Leatherman for quills or wire, gauze pads for bad gashes, Vet wrap for everything, Duct Tape which CAN be used for boots (very small roll), 6" piece of rope which I can use for tourniquet, releasing Connibear, or leash, crazy glue. Everything else is in truck.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 pm

You are definitely well prepared. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm

I just let them run through barbwire starting from 8 weeks when we starting working them. They figure it out and we dont have issues.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 pm

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm
I just let them run through barbwire starting from 8 weeks when we starting working them. They figure it out and we dont have issues.
Yep it doesn't take long for them to figure it out. Although I had a Lab cross that would hit a barbwire strand so hard that he actually popped some staples out of a wood post. Some dogs just never learn. Thankfully he never got ripped up too bad.

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 pm

fishvik wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 pm
RyanDoolittle wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm
Yep it doesn't take long for them to figure it out. Although I had a Lab cross that would hit a barbwire strand so hard that he actually popped some staples out of a wood post. Some dogs just never learn. Thankfully he never got ripped up too bad.
Yep I can relate to this. My dog is finally starting to figure it out, but that's after several encounters that have left him bloody in one manner or another. When he gets going, especially if his prey drive has kicked in, it's like he doesn't even register the fence sometimes. No BS he hit one so hard a few weeks ago that it completely summersaulted him. Luckily it was barbless so he didn't get ripped to shreds, but he either didn't see the wire or just didn't register it. Gets pretty fricking annoying after a while, especially when it IS barbed and you're bandaging wounds that could have been avoided. He's finally starting to really slow down when he gets to them, and find a good way through, but it's been a frustrating process getting to this point.