What is the MOST money you've seen or heard a dog sell for?

Spaniel

What is the MOST money you've seen or heard a dog sell for?

Post by Spaniel » Fri May 22, 2020 9:15 am

We have plenty of posts about what's the most you'd pay for a puppy, or what does a started or broke dog go for.

But what is the most you've ever heard a dog selling for? In the livestock world it's easy, there are public auctions. I've been to an auction where a $40,000 black angus cow was sold; and earlier this year a bull was sold for more than $1 million.

With a finished dog, you're mostly paying for the training time, training birds, etc. All the gas to hang those hunt test ribbons on the dog, etc. I once saw a newspaper article from the 1920s or 30s where it said a man was offered like $1500 or $3600 for his multi-champion field trial winning pointer, and adjusted for inflation that was over $50,000 in today's money.

Are any of the top dogs worth $50,000 today? Do multi-time champion field trial dogs ever change hands? Has anyone ever seen the insured value of an Ames winner? What would Shadow Oak Bo have been worth?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: What is the MOST money you've seen or heard a dog sell for?

Post by shags » Fri May 22, 2020 10:56 am

$40,000 and that was around twenty years ago. No hunt test ribbons that I know of, but a photo on the steps of The Big House :D

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri May 22, 2020 12:15 pm

According to an article on “The Richest” web site, the original Lassie, a male collie named “Pal”, earned up to $4,000 per week (early to mid 1950's). The article states that would be equivalent to roughly $50,000 per week today. :roll: :lol:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm

30 years ago was pretty common for a field trial contender to go from 10-20,000.00. Have no idea today what they're bringing. Since there's no money, only prestige involved, seems like there would be a cap on their worth.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri May 22, 2020 1:24 pm

^^^^ Stud fees and puppies. And IIRC there were some decent purses for some championships ; don't know about futurities and things like Purina awards.

Spaniel

Post by Spaniel » Fri May 22, 2020 1:30 pm

shags wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:24 pm
^^^^ Stud fees and puppies. And IIRC there were some decent purses for some championships ; don't know about futurities and things like Purina awards.
But it seems like the stud fees would be somewhat limited; even if these dogs are the equivalent of a Kentucky Derby winner, the stud fees are no where comparable. Plus, each litter throws 6+ puppies rather than just 1 foal.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri May 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Shadow Oak Bo was bred a bit at $1250 per. I've seen puppies by him go for $1500-2000 where 'regular' pups are/were $300-$600. Think how many pedigrees Tekoa Mountain Sunrise is in, so he was used a lot. Even pointer winners can command quite a bit 8) If a stud or dam is able pass on all the good stuff, the prices go up. I wouldn't be thinking my winner will be buying me a new truck, but the income would offset some of the cost of competing and maybe buy a round or two at dinner.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am

Was winning shooting dog stakes with a nice young derby setter. I saw he was...special. So I called a pro that runs the shooting dog circuit.
He campaigned the dog for a couple of years with admirable results but my friend couldn't afford to keep him with the pro.
The pro had a buyer for this setter. They offered my friend $26,000. That was about 30 years ago.
He declined.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm

Featherfinder wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am
Was winning shooting dog stakes with a nice young derby setter. I saw he was...special. So I called a pro that runs the shooting dog circuit.
He campaigned the dog for a couple of years with admirable results but my friend couldn't afford to keep him with the pro.
The pro had a buyer for this setter. They offered my friend $26,000. That was about 30 years ago.
He declined.
The old saying goes " when two fools met".
GSP Stud dog owners in the Midwest routinely get $1000 or more stud fee for a dog with a NAVHDA or hunt test title. For what ever reason Shadow Oak's Bo puppies have always been cheap.
Retrievers capable of winning a national champion sell for unbelievable amounts. Six figures. I don't live in that world.....Cj
Ps. It used to be easy to get 5 figures for a nice finished dog. Not so easy now.
Last edited by cjhills on Sat May 23, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mask

Post by mask » Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm

I've heard fools don't spell well. When it comes to dogs I guess I'm a fool too. I turned down 5 figures for a derby after his first trial. If I would have sold him my lovely bride would have never forgiven me. I was never sorry for my decision so go figure. :wink:

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 am

Mask, the saying is dated so that's why they "met" - past tense. :wink:
Well, I've owned dogs I wouldn't sell for $26,000 BUT what does it take? What if a person offered me $50,000? Still no? What if they offered $100,000?
It's hard to say. We aren't all in the same financial situation. I sold a young pointer to that same pro for just $4500. I had too many dogs and the money served us. Was it the wrong call for us at that time?

mask

Post by mask » Sun May 24, 2020 9:44 am

Featherfinder wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 am
Well, I've owned dogs I wouldn't sell for $26,000 BUT what does it take? What if a person offered me $50,000? Still no? What if they offered $100,000?
It's hard to say. We aren't all in the same financial situation. I sold a young pointer to that same pro for just $4500. I had too many dogs and the money served us. Was it the wrong call for us at that time?
I see humor in almost everything and try to not get personal about anything. What a person pays or gets for a dog does not necessarily make one a fool though. One always has a choice to buy or sell. If I was offered 50k for any dog except the one I alluded to he would be headed for a new home. So no offense intended.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 pm

A few years ago I heard of a dog that won a CH in one of the dakotas, that evening the owners wife turned down a $60,000 offer, said they were having too much fun with the dog. The dog ran the national this year.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Mon May 25, 2020 10:03 pm

cjhills wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm
Featherfinder wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am
He declined.
The old saying goes " when two fools met".
GSP Stud dog owners in the Midwest routinely get $1000 or more stud fee for a dog with a NAVHDA or hunt test title. For what ever reason Shadow Oak's Bo puppies have always been cheap.
Retrievers capable of winning a national champion sell for unbelievable amounts. Six figures. I don't live in that world.....Cj
Ps. It used to be easy to get 5 figures for a nice finished dog. Not so easy now.
SOB puppies are cheap because they arent worth squat on the circuit. Both was bred a ton and had shown mediocre results at best. He does produce bird finders though, however most hunters are looking at the continentals.

IMO if setters had a more commanding presence in the NAVHDA world they would be priced higher. Frankly nearly all continentals are over priced. $1000-$2500 for an 8 week old puppy that you have no idea what it will turn out like is a fools gamble. If your wanting a hunting dog then you could buy a pretty amazing field trial washout that has spent a couple years on the prairies and brag to your buddies that fall.

Most people dont have any clue that dogs breed on a downward scale. So they think anything with a field trial parent is too hot and cant find birds, little do they know most major circuit dogs probably see more wild birds in 3 months than a hunters dog does all year.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 am

Ryandoolittle, whether it's dogs or jeans or whatever, "the market" too often determines the cost, not the performance/value. Perhaps the price some breeds command tells you something about them, OTHER than their value? You can pay a LOT of $$$$ for a designer dog.
Also consider that some breeds command a handsome sum as puppies and then hardly appreciate in value. Pointers/setters cost little to acquire but can bring a tidy sum if they are high quality performers.
Check this out!

Tibetan mastiff puppy
Pup sold for $2 million. A golden-haired Tibetan mastiff puppy has reportedly been sold for a whopping $2 million in China, potentially making it the world's most expensive dog.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:03 pm

SOB puppies are cheap because they arent worth squat on the circuit.
Not sure if you are allowed SOB ,Ryan, maybe you are ? :roll:

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 am

Dogs are cheap! In January 2017, a homing pigeon sold at auction for 1.42 million dollars.

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue May 26, 2020 2:39 pm

A dogs monetary value is based on what the seller is willing to accept and what the buyer is willing to give; regardless of breed! :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 pm

polmaise wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am
RyanDoolittle wrote:

He meant Shadow Oak Bo .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Tue May 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Ten grand for a well bred derby showing a lot of promise. The transaction was conducted on horseback. Including writing the check. Paper work to be shuffled later.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue May 26, 2020 5:54 pm

polmaise wrote:
RyanDoolittle wrote:

I think maybe you shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Sharon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 pm
polmaise wrote:
RyanDoolittle wrote:

He meant Shadow Oak Bo .

Hmmm-

I wonder what Polmaise was alluding to?? I could hazard a guess... but I believe I should not, but rather leave that to each reader.

More entertaining that way, I think.

RayG

PS - FWIW, I have seen a fair bunch of Pups out of Shadow Oaks Bo and while they seem not to have distinguished themselves in field trial competitions, most of the ones I have seen were pretty good bird dogs that would have made a discriminating hunter quite happy, IMO.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue May 26, 2020 9:38 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 pm
Sharon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 pm
polmaise wrote:

He meant Shadow Oak Bo .

Hmmm-

I wonder what Polmaise was alluding to?? I could hazard a guess... but I believe I should not, but rather leave that to each reader.

More entertaining that way, I think.

RayG

PS - FWIW, I have seen a fair bunch of Pups out of Shadow Oaks Bo and while they seem not to have distinguished themselves in field trial competitions, most of the ones I have seen were pretty good bird dogs that would have made a discriminating hunter quite happy, IMO.
Yes, he does produce good bird dogs. But at the risk of derailing the thread, he would not be a dog I would want to breed to. There are far better studs out there producing better results but in the field and on the circuit. Unfortunately he was bred for the title and not for the results. Hopefully this doesnt set the breed back in the future.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 27, 2020 7:33 am

Can't remember the dogs name, extremely famous EP. Early part of 20th century the tabasco sauce family bough it for something like $90k. He was 11 yrs old at the time.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed May 27, 2020 11:35 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:54 pm
polmaise wrote:
RyanDoolittle wrote:

I think maybe you shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about.
Ryan , my good friend. I know more about SOB than you can imagine . I think you shouldn't talk and Doomore.

mask

Post by mask » Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pm

I think we might be getting a little of topic. So I will say that if one pup out of a litter of well bred dogs makes a true all age dog it is considered by some 100%. That is considering they are run in a lot of AA trials and given a fair chance. I know that there are a few exceptions but one out of a litter is good. That goes for shadow oak bo's get or any other AA winner.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed May 27, 2020 12:41 pm

mask wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pm
I think we might be getting a little of topic. So I will say that if one pup out of a litter of well bred dogs makes a true all age dog it is considered by some 100%. That is considering they are run in a lot of AA trials and given a fair chance. I know that there are a few exceptions but one out of a litter is good. That goes for shadow oak bo's get or any other AA winner.
To get back on Your Topic Mask, If all pups from ''well bred dogs" don't compete in competition and achieve no awards ,that is 100% . There is no exceptions ! ...doesn't make the litter any better or worse in performance of breed enhancement , (unless you can prove otherwise?) .just makes them the same as they were bred 100% :wink:
Taking You back on thread ....Perhaps it is what the parents or owners or trophies or ribbons that are what is on sale to the buyer ,rather than the dog . To me that's just marketing . Maybe I'm wrong and just want a dog to train :lol:

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed May 27, 2020 4:27 pm

If every body only wrote about things they know on this forum. It would eliminate a lot of writing. A male pup's mother is a bitch so what is he. some more than others.
My brother went the retriever direction and sold Lab retriever pups for what I thought was a insane amount. He had some very good dogs. Never had a National champion. Not many people have. He sold a black male MH for 50 grand.
I also guided a guy in SD who came from New York to hunt for five days. He bought a finished dog for $4500 and gave it to me when he left. Many of the people we guided bought new shotguns and gave them to us when the left. Money does not mean a lot to a lot of people.....Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Thu May 28, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Wed May 27, 2020 4:53 pm

mask wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 pm
If you can get 1 AA dog out of every litter, I would say you have a very successful AA program, especially with setters.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed May 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Featherfinder wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 am
There's a very old and very true saying among dog trainers: " Whenever you're offered a good price for a dog, take it because you're only a heartbeat away from nothin'".

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu May 28, 2020 4:59 am

CJ, if you were gifted a 28 gauge SxS, I would happily pay you anything you want for it right up to $500!
Money has and continues to rule the world we live in - dogs not excluded.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 am

A very successful Springer breeder near me; who has been in business for nearly 60 years has a rule. "Never get so attached to a dog that you won't sell it"
One day, they sold their young son's dog while he was in school. He now runs the kennel. It works for them. Not for me. I turned down many buyers because I did not like the situation for my dog.
FF the people who buy shotguns and gift them to the guides do not buy 28 gauge side X sides......Cj

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:33 am

It is important to separate amateur from professional, or perhaps emotional from rational. I have certainly sold dogs, sometimes because they didn't work out for me and were for sale, and other times because someone spontaneously offered me a good price.

On the other hand, I have had dogs that were not for sale at any rational price and probably not for any irrational price either. It isn't always about money, though I'll grant you that's an amateur rather than a professional viewpoint. But I am an amateur, though, I hope, a good one.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Thu May 28, 2020 2:37 pm

cjhills wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 am

FF the people who buy shotguns and gift them to the guides do not buy 28 gauge side X sides......Cj
Lets hope they dont😉they arent practical for pheasants🙂

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu May 28, 2020 9:49 pm

I remembered a fellow Carlo Degan He bought a GSP in 1960 for $250 he bred that breed for decades some were winners some were not so much but a lot of birds ended up in the freezers of the local Italian gang. That was a lot of money in 1960...

Grant

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Fri May 29, 2020 3:52 pm

Cicada wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:49 pm
I remembered a fellow Carlo Degan He bought a GSP in 1960 for $250 he bred that breed for decades some were winners some were not so much but a lot of birds ended up in the freezers of the local Italian gang. That was a lot of money in 1960...

Grant
About the price of a PudelPointer today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:37 am

Weimdogman I agree, a 28 gauge on wild pheasant or chukar wouldn't be my caliber of choice BUT a good shot can do well with a 20 gauge on both.
A bad shot won't do any better with a 10 gauge.
There are SO many variations on what we hunt, where we hunt and when we hunt. If I was to pick a species alone without considering the other salient contributors, I can assure you that my son can kill cock pheasants on a game farm VERY effectively with his 28 gauge. So, a blanket statement like 28 gauge is not good for pheasant hunting might be correct or perhaps not.
I strictly shoot 20 gauge for all of my upland hunting. The shells I use have narrowed down to one brand and one size/speed as well with woodcock being one of the exceptions.
If you've shot pen-raised Bobwhite, you are in for a real surprise shooting wild Bobwhite. The shell selection varies and that is on one species.
I'm searching for a sweet 28 gauge because I want to be more selective about my shooting opportunities. I want to elevate my experience afield. I want to walk as long and (almost) with the same stride that I used to. The weight savings of that 28 gauge AND the seldom considered weight of the shells can make a significant difference after consecutive days afield (typically 12+ days).
Perhaps I'm just getting more "mature".
CJ, if that 28 SxS comes your way, you know you have someone interested. NOT a 6 pound 28 gauge or a 28 gauge on a 20 gauge frame or a 28 gauge with 26" (or God forbid even shorter) barrels. I mean a REAL 28 gauge SxS - straight stock - fixed chokes - slivered fore-end - extractors not ejectors....! Oh baby...…!

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:39 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm
30 years ago was pretty common for a field trial contender to go from 10-20,000.00. Have no idea today what they're bringing. Since there's no money, only prestige involved, seems like there would be a cap on their worth.
Wouldn't there be significant stud fees that could allow some recouping of the investment? I just looked at a popular-ish GWP in the NAVHDA lines, he sired 16 litters that I could see.

How many litters did the Honcho's and Lean Mac's of the world sire?

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:39 pm

16k and 24k are the two highest ive seen sold for

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:24 pm

JONOV wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:39 am
gonehuntin' wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm
Wouldn't there be significant stud fees that could allow some recouping of the investment? I just looked at a popular-ish GWP in the NAVHDA lines, he sired 16 litters that I could see.

How many litters did the Honcho's and Lean Mac's of the world sire?
When Jay and Val Walker were campaigning Thunderhead, I drove to Medford and bought two pups from them. They had bred Thunder, I believe 100 times that year. He was bred so much that when a car pulled in to their drive, Jay would say "Girlfriend Thunder" and thunder would run to the storm door and start salivating all over it. Dog was a money machine for Jay and Val.