Dog disappeared off the face of the earth

greg jacobs

Dog disappeared off the face of the earth

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Got up chukar hunting at first light Saturday. We were getting out our vests and guns, turned around and my sons 8.5 year old gsp was already heading down the finger. We called but he was out of hearing range. He looked over and said the GPS collar wasn't turned on. We headed down the finger, figuring we would catch up. Didn't happen. Called my wife and she brought up our glass. We split up and spent the rest of the day walking the canyons and glassing. No luck. At full dark we added my son's shirt and hunting vest to the pillow and water bowl that we had put out earlier in the day. Heading down feeling really concerned. His brother from out of town, his good friend and my son grabbed their sacks and some supplies and headed back up for the night. After 13 hrs, this is what the boys found.
rsz_220191102_202436.jpg

Can't tell you how good Sunday was. His feet are a mess but he is home. I imagine he is out for 3 or 4 weeks but we can live with that. I'm thinking a few prayers were answered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NEhomer

Re: Dog disappeared off the face of the earth

Post by NEhomer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:41 am

Oh man, so glad it ended well!

That must have been frustrating. Years ago I took my parent's springer hunting and at the first gun shot she took off. 5 days later we finally got that "bleep" dog back. When folks bat an eye over the price of an Alpha 100, I think back to that time when I would have paid 5 times as much for one!

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:09 am

A lost dog is so worrying. Glad you had a happy ending!

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:06 am

Nothing worse than losing a dog. Don't know if she is dead or stolen. Glad there war a happy ending.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:53 am

Love a happy ending!
Grant

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:22 am

Good to hear you have the dog back. The old shirt/jacket left at the start spot brings back memories. Years ago one hunting buddy's dog would seem to get misplaced more than a few times during the season, after driving around 2-4 hrs searching we'd find her on the shirt or jacket.... glad it worked for you.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Winston Churchill -- who knew-- said that "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."

That may be true, but finding a dog you thought was gone is a strong contender for second place.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:51 pm

Now isn't that true? :)
So glad you got your dog back Greg ; I remember the anguish of not being able to get my dog back.... stolen at a skeet shoot championship weekend.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 am

NEhomer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:41 am

That must have been frustrating. Years ago I took my parent's springer hunting and at the first gun shot she took off. 5 days later we finally got that "bleep" dog back. When folks bat an eye over the price of an Alpha 100, I think back to that time when I would have paid 5 times as much for one!
Yep. Lost a really nice GSP pup to a herd of deer. Before I found her she ended up on a busy highway.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:55 am

Amen....
I've been there. Glad he's back!

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:11 am

Makintrax73 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 am
NEhomer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:41 am

Yep. Lost a really nice GSP pup to a herd of deer. Before I found her she ended up on a busy highway.
Oh man, so sorry to hear that. GPS technology has really made life easier for sure.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:52 am

iv never have lost a dog that I didn't get back, the longest iv had one missing is mayby 24 hours but that was 24 hours of aganey
this was befor the tracking collars even if the dog is lost its self the peice of mind is worth ever penny
I was working my frinds dog he would do fine for a while but when he couldn't locate me he would take off I would call and whistle him in but most times he would go the opposite direction the dog couldn't distinguish where sound was comeing from I would have to track him down with the truck I would have lost that dog for good without the tracker, happy you got your dog back