Incontinence in old dogs

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Incontinence in old dogs

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Apparently this is common in old spayed females. Have a 14 year old setter here. Has anyone found the hormone meds to make a difference?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Incontinence in old dogs

Post by shags » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:06 pm

Ask your vet about Proin; a friend of ours used it with his old dog and it worked well. In the meantime, you might try some baby diapers or Pull-ups (with a hole cut out for her tail) or stick a pad inside a pair of boys' briefs and used the fly for the tailhole.

Best wishes, it's difficult sometimes, keeping the old ones going :cry:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks Shags. Helpful as usual. Tried the diapers but she had them ripped off in 20 minutes. :)I see the vet tomorrow so will ask about Proin.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

zrp

Post by zrp » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Proin usually does the job and doesn't have the potential side effects that the hormones come with. It would be my first try.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:06 am

Incurin if the Proin doesn't help.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you.
Dr started her on Stilbestrol today. No infections ; Dr took some blood as it may be kidney failure. I'll hear in a couple days. Never an easy time; I've had 8 dogs and all died differently. This is my last gundog though so it is particularly difficult.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:43 pm

zrp wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:01 pm
Proin usually does the job and doesn't have the potential side effects that the hormones come with. It would be my first try.
Dr prefers Stilbestrol initially as it is a once a day pill , which is reduced ( every other day, every 3rd day, every .....) until incontinence starts up again. At that point you return to the previous dose. Proin is a twice a day pill. Dr feels the hormonal aspect is useful. Stilbestrol gave her almost immediate relief.
Yes it is the beginning of kidney failure- protein in the urine. Definitely happened fast. In July , urine etc was great; 6 weeks later.....

She wanted to go for a run today to see if the woodcock had arrived yet , so off we went. :)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:34 am

I'm glad for you that the stilbestrol is working...I bet Lady is happy, too, not to be embarrassed every morning.

We caught our old girl's renal problems at Stage 3/4 so her outlook wasn't good. But we kept her going for a good while by watching her phosphorous intake. She didn't want to eat the rx kidney diet, so I called around some companies to ask what their lowest phosphorous diets were, and went with one of those (turned out to be senior formula).

Best wishes for stabilizing Lady's kidneys, and many more woodcock searches for her.