Purina Proplan sport 30/20 vs 26/16

EAM

Purina Proplan sport 30/20 vs 26/16

Post by EAM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Any reason to use the one with less protein and fat? Ive always fed 30/20, didn't know 26/16 existed.

Garrison

Re: Purina Proplan sport 30/20 vs 26/16

Post by Garrison » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:49 pm

It is my understanding that the higher protein and fat ratios in performance food aid in recovery and usable energy for hard working dogs. Higher protein levels have been shown to help dogs prevent exercise related injury and also help with faster recovery after bouts of heavy exercise. Higher fat content is associated with usable energy for the dog during exercise. Dogs fed a higher fat diet year round have more endurance during heavy exercise and can also be put back in to shape faster from time off during the off season. It can take time for them to get used to metabolizing the extra fat. If they are already metabolizing the higher fat content this is not an issue. If raising the fat content prior to season it should be done a couple months prior to starting exercise. Assuming you have a bird dog that receives an above average amount of exercise you are better off to feed what you are currently feeding and feed less of it when the dog is not being worked hard. The 26/16 would be more geared toward dogs that are moderately active in their daily routine. That said, most dogs probably do not exercise enough to see any appreciable difference between the two. Many bird hunters are plenty happy with the results of feeding foods that are 24/20, 28/18 and 26/16 year round.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Many guys feed the 30/20 during hunting season and then go to the 26/16 in the off season when the dog isn't being worked as hard. But it might depend on which one your dog does better on. I had a spayed female and I really had to watch her weight. With the 30/20 I found she would add weight even during the hunting season. I fed her 26/16 year round and she did very well on it. I now have another spayed female that is on 30/20 and weight gain is not an issue. You have to do what's best for your individual dog.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm

I have an older dog now so use 20/16 as I trust pro plan. Used 30/20 for many years earlier.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Food posts especially when Brand names are mentioned are Not really Training orientated and should be ignored or removed ..(imo) .
But admin can ride with it . 8)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Well its not in the TRAINING category ; it is in the HEALTH category, and the new member asked the question.
If this bothers you, why not just not answer?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Sharon wrote:Well its not in the TRAINING category ; it is in the HEALTH category, and the new member asked the question.
+1

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 am

Sharon wrote:Well its not in the TRAINING category ; it is in the HEALTH category, and the new member asked the question.
+2
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:20 am

I am getting the feeling some are having a hard time with Jon’s departure and need somewhere to direct it.

Sorry to get this thread off topic but I was wondering what you guys do when nature calls and you are in the woods? And go!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:12 pm

LOL Please let's not go there. :D

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Sharon wrote:LOL Please let's not go there. :D
I often have relapses ,and get things wrong in the wrong boxes . Does that make me a wrong person ,or just keep admin on here on their Toes :oops: :D :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Yes you definitely keep me on my toes. :) All is forgiven.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 am

Keeping with 30/20 vs 26/16 foods no matter who's brand I'm trying to put weight on a 9 y.o. 16 lb. house dog.

Is there any truth that 30/20 food can cause a dog to loose weight due to the higher protein.

This dog has been free fed all her life as she only eats when she's hungry. She mostly sleeps during the day but does play fetch every night for 10 min. or so in the yard. No matter what food I feed her weight stays the same. She has a very pronounced waist line and you can feel her back bone.

The vet has done a fecal every year no worms or bug in her system. Healthy as can be just a light weight for her breed.

I wonder if a food with more grain like ground corn or wheat would help at all?

All comments welcome.
Mike B
So. California

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:40 am

MikeB wrote:Keeping with 30/20 vs 26/16 foods no matter who's brand I'm trying to put weight on a 9 y.o. 16 lb. house dog.

Is there any truth that 30/20 food can cause a dog to loose weight due to the higher protein.

This dog has been free fed all her life as she only eats when she's hungry. She mostly sleeps during the day but does play fetch every night for 10 min. or so in the yard. No matter what food I feed her weight stays the same. She has a very pronounced waist line and you can feel her back bone.

The vet has done a fecal every year no worms or bug in her system. Healthy as can be just a light weight for her breed.

All comments welcome.
Mike B
So. California

Mike,

Judging from your posts over the years and your background, you have a lot more experience feeding dogs than I. But I did have a couple thoughts about your situation.

Seems that most senior formulas are higher on protein and lower on fat than an adult maintenance diet. I believe senior dogs require more protein because they don’t use it as effectively and the lower fat is to keep their weight down which seems to be a common theme for most senior dogs.

I believe I have also read that protein actually requires calories to metabolize in the body so is not utilized well as an energy source.

I have also been told by a guy who runs his walkers on lions in cold weather and have also noticed several posts on various forums that some have had better results keeping weight on dogs if they went to a 24/20 formulation instead of a 30/20 (usually in regards to Victor and Diamond). Maybe there is something to it, don’t know?

My parents had a female golden who was always skinny, bird dog skinny and she was a retriever. She was an occasional grazer sometimes would skip a whole day. Pain in the butt with multiple dogs when they all acted like vacuums and would be after her bowl as soon as they were done. Sometimes a little wet food or warm water would get her a little more interested. She passed away skinny at 15 years old. Think we probably worried about it more than she did.

Garrison
- Mark Twain-

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 am

MikeB wrote:Keeping with 30/20 vs 26/16 foods no matter who's brand I'm trying to put weight on a 9 y.o. 16 lb. house dog.

All comments welcome.
Mike B
So. California
Some dogs, like some people, are just naturally thinner. Maybe adding a little fat to the diet helps them to keep a little more weight on.

What has worked for me when dogs get picky or go off their feed is to let them get hungry. They get a few minutes to eat, then the bowl comes up until tomorrow. Rinse and repeat, and it's never been more than one or two missed meals to have them readjust their appetites.

Note that this is for dogs who are otherwise acting normally, with their usual energy and behavior, not for dogs who are acting like they might be sick. If your dog recently gone off her feed, consider having bloodwork done to check out liver and kidney function. IME that stuff sneaks in at around 8 or 9.

For my oldsters, I top dress with a spoonful of canned food, just because I think the smell keeps them more enthusiastic about eating.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:24 am

All comments welcome.
Mike B
So. California
Mike:
If I had the female you describe, especially if she is spayed, and she is under weight but healthy an happy, I would thank my lucky stars. Overweight in adog like that is far more common and causes many more health issues,...…….Cj

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 am

cjhills wrote:

All comments welcome.
Mike B
So. California
Mike:
If I had the female you describe, especially if she is spayed, and she is under weight but healthy an happy, I would thank my lucky stars. Overweight in adog like that is far more common and causes many more health issues,...…….Cj
I agree. +1.

Also I believe the poster who mentioned that protein requires more energy to metabolize might well have a point. Not sure about higher protein and senior dogs though.

RayG

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am

birddogger2 wrote:
cjhills wrote:

All comments welcome.
Mike B
So. California
Mike:
I agree. +1.

Also I believe the poster who mentioned that protein requires more energy to metabolize might well have a point. Not sure about higher protein and senior dogs though.

RayG
Ray

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutri ... enior-dog/

Check out this article about feeding senior dogs citing an associated study that shows they may need up to 50% more protein compared to a younger dog. They need the extra protein because of loss of muscle mass as they age. Most senior diets do have more protein not to be confused with weight loss diets.

Garrison
- Mark Twain-

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I certainly agree with everyone's comments.

With the help of my local pet supply store owner I have found a food that is 26/16 and over 500 K/cal per cup. Also trying a supplement called Young At Heart for senior dogs from K9 Power.com That makes my dog want to eat 2 times a day when i put the food down. I'll try a 30# bag of food and see where her weight is. I'm certainly not looking to put a lot of weight on her just fill in the bony spots. Yes I know thinner is better. With my 40 plus years in the dog the training business and owning, rescuing and training so many different working and sporting breeds I've never had a dog like this.

Thanks everyone and happy hunting.
MikeB
Los Angeles, CA

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 pm

A higher fat food has been shown to increase a dog's VO2 max, even with out training being implemented, thus a higher fat food with a hunting dog should be fed starting at least a month ahead of training, if not year round. You only have 100% of a diet to play with, or 100 seats for everything; carbs, fat, fiber, water, ash, vit/min and protein so each seat needs to have something useful for the dog for ultimate performance. So, for instance, if fat is twice as much energy as a carb or protein it would also make sense to have a higher fat food when trying to keep weight on. Protein is not meant for fuel, it is meant for maintaining muscle, repair and growth. Fat is meant for energy use, the furnace being fueled that makes those muscles go. Carbs are not really needed to any great deal in a dog but will be used for fuel or converted to fat. Ultimately, how you judge the food to be working well will be the stool consistency, the way the dog performs, hair and skin coat, and recovery, to name a few. Dogs are meant to be fueled on fat, not carbs, as that is what their metabolism is set up for and they will excel when offered this with proper training.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Very interesting read. Thank you. If I'm reading it correctly , my old dog (13) needs more fat than carbs or protein.??

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Not necessarily. I would stay with a higher protein for an older dog unless there is a medical condition needing lower protein in the diet. This usually is 26% prot or better. Also use highly digestible proteins for these guys. The overall ash level of the diet can help tell you how digestible the proteins are, for instance. The older dogs need this level of protein to maintain their muscle mass as they break it down more when older then younger so a low protein diet as a preemptive diet is not always the best. I recc a fat level typically in the 16% or higher amount for an older dog as well that includes a high level of omega 3's that contain DHA and EPA's. Not all omega 3's are the same, ocean sourced much better than land sourced(fish oil versus flax, for instance.) Lower carbs in general seem to do a dog better overall as well.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks very much. I'll check out the food I am providing and see if it meets your criteria.