Upland Hunting Clothes

PoorMansWrangler

Upland Hunting Clothes

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:17 pm

Can any one recommend me some upland hunting clothes? I would like to have a dedicated vest shirt and set of pants to wear while working my dog. I have all my whitetail hunting clothes, but would like to keep those separate. Any good brand names I can shop at or you can recommend? Thank you!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Upland Hunting Clothes

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 pm

I have used a pair of Carhart bib-overalls as my hunting clothes and they work really well and affordable.

Ezzy

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Just bought some Patagonia field hacking pants. They are awesome but do get sweaty if it is warm and you are going uphill. They need vent zips but so do all of the upland pants out there.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Check out Orvis. A person who hunts from beginning of season to the end will need a couple different weights of pants and shirts as I am often hunting in 80s-90s in Sept and below zero in Feb. A windbreaker is a great garment to have as well.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:37 am

I have never found a pair of upland pants that were really that comfortable or fit me correctly. I much rather wear an old comfortable pair of jeans or good pair of hiking pants if it is going to be wet. I put on a pair of chaps or gators depending on what I am walking through. Strap vest that can be put on over any base layer or layers for me.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:49 am

As posted above, different conditions call for different clothing.

If you are walking through briars and such, nothing beats a pair of uninsulated cordura bibs. I have a set of Wick bibs that will withstand just about anything nature can throw in my path. You can even spray them to repel moisture and that will keep you reasonably dry walking through dew and such. . Wick is out of business but there are several suppliers that are still out there. The can be warm, even though uninsulated.

If that is too much for you, I suggest a pair of cordura faced pants. I like the cotton/poly blends(65%/35%). You can wash them and they look new.

I buy them a bit bigger than I need, so I can put on a set of insulated leggings in the really cold weather.

As far as shirts and such, I have various weights, mostly cotton canvas, but I have a couple of 100% poly shirts that block the wind very well. When it is really cold, I also have a couple of old, Woolrich, heavyweight cotton Chamois shirts that I will wear as an outer layer. I don't wear a hunting jacket. I use a front loading vest, but my hunts are not all that far from the truck, so I don't need to carry much other than shells and a bit of water for the dog...and me.

I will wear a ball cap type hat, unless I am in briars. Then I wear a hat with a brim all around, to protect my ears, so I can stick my gloved hand on top and bull through without getting a sliced up ear(which smarts and bleeds like a SOB).

Oh and I almost always wear a good leather glove on my left hand to fend off brush and such. My right hand may have a light glove with the index finger cut off.

RayG

RayG

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:21 am

I'm too tall for any reasonably priced "upland" clothes so I almost exclusively wear Carhartt for hunting clothing. I wear the Double Front Work Pants (B01 model) and they are a lot better than regular jeans for blocking thorns and the like. They also have some loops and side pockets that sometimes come in handy for an ecollar remote or other things.

I like my backpack style "vest" (even more so when it's warm) and just wear either a t-shirt or, if it's cold, a hooded sweatshirt. Carhartt makes a lot of orange clothing. I usually have orange shirts since I wear the backpack style "vest" and it doesn't give you much orange on the front of you. The Force t-shirts are good and come short or long sleeve (100410 or 100393 model). For hoodies the K121 was great but it's discontinued, the K122 is the zipper version and having a zipper might be better anyways. The sweaters are pretty tough and I haven't had any problems with going through any kind of cover with them, I might get some briars or something stuck in them but it comes out with no harm done.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:33 am

Check out Cabalas and or Bass pro shop. I always carry a light pair of rain gear. A strap vest with more pockets than you think you will need is a good idea too. Go on line and look at all the vests to get an idea and go from there. What ever you decide water proof clothing is always a good idea.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:53 pm

LL Bean’s lightest upland pants with light facing.....2” shorter and 1” greater in waist than normally worn....then, suspenders.
Bean also has a miracle shirt fabric that works well tho a good flannel is hard to best.
Windstopper sweater, if necessary...layers can be good.
Works for Appalachian multiflora and greenbrier to short grass and switch...Oct. thru Jan., for me.

That said, some folks fret about wet and cold and scratchy briers so their own choices may change with conditions or what is popular or with the weather.
You will receive all manner of opinion re best...simply fit & try....and try again.

Cap tho...Stormy Kromer, none better if cold is afoot.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:25 pm

I really like the carhartt double front work dungaree for most upland hunts. I'll add gaiters if there's snow or a lot of mud on the ground. During the early season I'll wear carhartt (single front) work dungaree. If it's really wet or raining, I'll wear Cabela's waterproof bibs.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 am

I bought a pair of Dan's Briar Fighter Bibs ($115.00) from The Briarproof Superstore last season. I bought them big so I could layer underneath if needed. They are tough, well made digs. I've only had them for a partial season....but for grouse hunting in the thick stuff I get in to around here, they're nice. I'm going to add a coat eventually, but I didn't want to get divorced so I'm separating the purchases. If you don't need that level of Briarproof, you could probably be more comfortable in an uninsulated set of carharts....but these are waterproof and way better protection vs the sharp and pokies. There's another set they have called "high and dry" that are only 89.00. Not really sure what the difference its, probably just as good for less money.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:45 am

Double front dungarees are great until you discover hawthorn and mesquite. That being said it is the only thing I could find for my wife that fit.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm going to add to my Dan's Briar Fighter post. I took them out and put them to the test today....partially because they came up in this thread earlier, and partially b/c I knew I was going to be walking through some thicket that no sane human being would ever want to walk through (I lost a $500 drone and spent 2 hours fighting a HEAVY briar filled thicket only a rabbit could navigate trying to find it). I went out this morning with jeans and a tshirt under my Dan's and Carhart coat. I was a sweaty mess when I was done (it was probably 80 degrees out & humid). To push the test, I just wore a pair of gym shorts under them when i went out this evening. I was still pretty sweaty when finished, but less bad. The more important thing is that with no extra layers on, these monster briars never got through my Dan's. This thicket was so thick I was frequently leaning backwards and pushing (hard) to slowly force my way through. It was hard work. I was taking some pokes through my carhart coat, but it did overall pretty well too. I'm pretty impressed with them.
Additionally, they are American made. They have high quality zippers, buttons, and stainless buckles and heavy stitching. I think these will last for a bunch of years.

If you're a midwestern grouse hunter, these would be REALLY hard to beat. If you are a quail/pheasant hunter that walks fields and comes across some occasional light thorns....I would probably get something softer & more breathable.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 pm

Any cordura products I have worn have all had very disappointing performance (sorry birdogger2). The pants (of a known brand) for example:
When hunting in grouse/woodcock habitat where thorns are part and parcel of where "I" find grouse/woodcock, hawthorn and the likes just LOVE to hitchhike a ride in cordura. What typically happens as cordura is a weave, regardless of the style. That means that just the very tips of the thorns occasionally hook up then snap off IN the weave...only the very tip. Try finding or getting that microscopic thorn tip out!?! By then end of day(s) you end up with a red rash or welt which is irritating to say the least. If you still have doubt, walk through a burr bush in cordura!!! The burrs seem to jump onto the cordura….not quite but you'll be pulling burrs off for some time. Doesn't happen with waxed cotton.
In boots (of a known brand) where cordura is supposedly used to enhance the look or "lighten the weight of the boot" (reduce the cost would be the more appropriate justification) and because of my marginally splay-footed stride, I have literally worn the cordura right off along the inside seams of both left and right boots where it meets the leather. So-much-so, I exposed the insulation underneath and that after just 2 years afield! Admittedly, the boots were made in China (as most are today).
I like a blaze orange vest but simplicity in design is often the best. The more orange the better in my opinion. I personally have no use for those that come with all manner of gadgets or water carrying apparatus - they add unnecessary weight. I'm not stuck on a brand and there are many good ones. I also use a strap vest for warmer climbs which also have blaze orange pockets and game bag.
I have a pair of Gokey (made in the USA) all leather upland boots for this season. Time will tell. They are very comfortable right out of the box!
I just wear jeans when hunting but I bring along a pair of waxed cotton over-pants. They repel thorns reasonably well, do not pick up "hitch-hiker" thorn tips, and keep you dry, even in the crotch area unlike chaps I have tried in the past. The added plus of the water resistant over-pants is that should you stop in somewhere for lunch, you can just slip off the elasticized waste over-pants and not have to sit down in wet, muddy, (or bloodied) pants.
Last edited by Featherfinder on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:49 pm

I have not been able to find them now but I have a pair from Cabela's. I think they were called boarhide...looked good and very tough. Have since gotten jeans etc... but nothing as good so will probably move to chaps.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 am

I have to keep in mind that we are so fortunate to have such a wide variety of habitat available to us in America. As such, my recommendations may be spot on for some and yet very alien to others.
To more appropriately address your question, you may want to offer more details as to your typical hunting environ, species, and time of year, perhaps? There are folk here that might better address your needs than what I offered.

marc

Post by marc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:58 pm

I have had the same Filson Tin cloth apparel for 3 dogs and over 30 years, It's like wearing waterproof armor in the woods, and gets more comfortable with every use. Yes, it's expensive, but the cost amortizes to peanuts over its useful life.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:42 pm

Got it thank you for your guys help! I am in Ohio, so thicker cover I would imagine thicker cover with brambels with mixed CRP

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Brambles is the main reason. I had always hunted in jeans then got into brambles...

marc

Post by marc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Just came today - from the hunting fairy! New Filson Single Tin pants with leather hem and boot zipper and snaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:22 am

Getting close to the season for many and started for some. I figured I chime in and add a thing and confirm others. Most folks that have hunted for some time have figured things out, so this is more for those who haven't and the original poster.

For the field chasing birds, I think about five things mainly:
Cover (how tough is it) briars, burrs, thorns and ticks
Temperature
Wind
Blood
Miles to walk

Jeans alone--bird blood on my jeans makes the wife and I unhappy, so on the occasion that I'm out for a quick hunt, Filson tin chaps are great.
Waxed cotton blocks wind totally and will turn most every thorn and is waterproof but are uncomfortable in heat and or rigorous activity.
Nothing beats waxed cotton pants or bibs for protection, but the more modern Cordora faced pants work well enough in most cases and are significantly lighter and cooler.
I prefer bibs for comfort and the pocket. My LL Bean Briar Pants are a size or more bigger and I always wear the mighty gallus. They were invented for a reason. When fighting through cover always bending and stooping and twisting and such, movement restriction is no fun.An added bonus with the LL Bean Pants is a built in elastic cuff that keeps ticks from crawling up your leg.
Heavy canvas shirts help, but you are gonna get briar scratched on arms and body.
A waxed cotton field jacket offers great protection, warmth and water resistance, but again hot and perhaps clammy. There is always a trade-off.
When not in heavy briar country, a water-proof nylon upland jacket is nice to have. Open country means wind and it can sap your heat and strength over time.
Ball cap type headwear will get snatched away and also cause you to bump your head on a branch...I just live with it.
:-)
Filson Waterfowler hat or for not so cold weather a Stormy Kromer.
Leather gloves are, well, leather gloves.
Filson Strap vest--the old simple type was just reintroduced. Mine has lasted 12 years and just broken in.

Boots--perhaps most important of all gear. Sturdy, waterproof with a real welted sole. Don't bother wasting money on fancy semi-athletic footwear. Get some real boots. Your whole body will thank you for many years to come.

Some of this stuff is expensive, but if purchased over time, the pain isn't so bad and will last a lifetime or close. Good gear is something worth having. I like things that work well.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 am

I have an upland shooting shirt from Cabelas and a cheap pair of brush pants from Mills Fleet (made by Wrangler I believe). Nothing fancy.

The shirt is breathe-able and has big pockets in the front with sewn in loops to attach my lanyards to. I really like the shirt. The pants do their job, but their biggest draw back is how much moisture they absorb and how heavy they get. That being said, they don't get me wet, so I'll deal with it and spend the extra money on other things.

My boots are Under Armour Bozeman Speed Freeks. I LOVE these boots! I can't say enough. They are water-proof and have 600 grams of thinsulate, but they are EXTREMELY light! The pair weighs less than 3 lbs. They are boots as light as tennis shoes and it shows. My legs and feet feel great after tromping through the grouse woods and pheasant fields. I STRONGLY recommend these boots, especially if you like to walk quite a distance (my average grouse hunt is 10 miles of walking).

I just got a new vest/pack. It is the APLS OutdoorZ Upland Game VestX. Literally arrived yesterday so I can't say much about it. So far, what I can say is it has a TON of space to pack stuff in and it feels much more stable/secure than my old strap vest. It's more of a backpack than a vest so it follows the backpack design. I'll also say that this pack could fit a very big dude. I'm pretty averaged sized (5'11, 195lbs) and I had to really tighten it up to get it snug. After the season I plan on writing a more in-depth review to see how I feel then.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:23 pm

marc wrote:Just came today - from the hunting fairy! New Filson Single Tin pants with leather hem and boot zipper and snaps.
Those look nice.... If I expand away from my Dan's Briar Fighters, I'll have to look in to those. I assume they make a similar material light jacket?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:00 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have used a pair of Carhart bib-overalls as my hunting clothes and they work really well and affordable.

Ezzy
Same here with an Orange Shirt from LL Bean.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:59 am

I replaced some decades old gear this season with 4 garments I bought from Orvis. Two pairs of brush pants, one light for 40 and above temps and the other heavier for winter conditions. And a full length zipper windbreaker, which also has large zipper openings in the armpits for venting heat. And an upland bird shirt with orange heavy material from the elbow to the wrist and some excellent pocket placements/functions. They are all excellent.

I wear various ball caps with mesh for venting heat as long as I can, and go to a Filson wool blaze orange stormy Kromer type hat when temps are cold and wind is blowing. I wear fingerless leather gloves as long as I can, have some thin elk hide full finger gloves when it gets colder and some thinsulate insulated leather gloves when it gets real cold. Have also used some wool/thinsulate glo-mitts for sub-zero temps, flipping the mitten back to expose my fingers for shooting as I approach my dog on point.

I have some Cabelas long underwear which I wear in bitter temps. The top has zipper in the front which allows me to vent heat and the best feature is the sleeves go all the way down my hands to the base of my fingers with a thumbhole. It traps heat in my hands and wrist and allows me to get by with a much lighter shooting glove under most winter conditions. I also have some very thin silk long underwear bottoms that add warmth without bulk or restricting my legs and some duofold tops which wick sweat. I carry a neck gaiter and wear it when brutal temps and winds require it, and I have stocking cap which gets some use over the top of the Filson, usually at the start of a hunt before I start getting hot. The highest quality uninsulated boots (schnees/kenetrek), with liner and smartwool socks work for me. I add Kenetrek Gaiters when it gets colder and wet which traps heat well and keeps the moisture off the tops of my socks where it would wick on down to my feet otherwise.

Compression shorts reduce fatigue.

A carhart insulated brown canvas duck hoodie when it get real cold, an APX insulated vest underneath provides excellent warmth with near zero weight/bulk and does not bind up my shoulders for shooting. I also picked up a blaze orange Gamehide coat with a hood cheap that is waterproof and insulated. In a SD blizzard it has seen some use. People spend way more money on name brand stuff but Gamehide garments have provided me excellent service and value for decades now. Was wearing my camo Gamehide insulated bibs and coat hunting whitetails in single digits yesterday morning, have been using those two garments for that and waterfowl for over 20 years now ...

That is my system.

Compton30

Post by Compton30 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 pm

I hunt in almost exclusively in my layering system from First Lite. Their Merino wool keeps you steady on hot and cool days. Also will still keep you warm when it's wet. Other than that I just wear a pair of uninsulated brush pants and a vest. First Lite is expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.

marc

Post by marc » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:09 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:
marc wrote:Just came today - from the hunting fairy! New Filson Single Tin pants with leather hem and boot zipper and snaps.
Those look nice.... If I expand away from my Dan's Briar Fighters, I'll have to look in to those. I assume they make a similar material light jacket?
Yes they make tin cloth jackets. they also have a lighter cloth line called shelter cloth.