GSP split nail

PoorMansWrangler

GSP split nail

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm

My 8 months old GSP has a split nail on his right front paw. What would be the best way to treat this? He does not seem to favor it at all, and it is not bleeding. Any advice? You can just barely see the quick. Seems like it splintered or snagged, all of his other nails are good length
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DeLo727

Re: GSP split nail

Post by DeLo727 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:10 pm

ooh thats a tough one, if that happened to mine and he wasn't bothered by it, I would just put him on light duty, clean and disinfect regularly and monitor the growth process. I imagine it would be hard to keep an active pup from making that worse but you know your dog better than anyone.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Wed May 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Thank you for the advice! That’s the plan. He is such a ball of energy it’s tough on him, but since it is so warm out he enjoys laying in the AC. Any advice on what I should put on it to disinfect/repair?

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:42 pm

PoorMansWrangler wrote:Thank you for the advice! That’s the plan. He is such a ball of energy it’s tough on him, but since it is so warm out he enjoys laying in the AC. Any advice on what I should put on it to disinfect/repair?
I don't know if you can repair it but nails will usually heal back fine from worse than that if you keep it under control. I have had one bad crack, not with the exposure yours has but I confined him indoors a little more than usual and kept his outdoor time to the yard, kept it clean and it worked out just fine. I use Vetericyn on all my minor cuts, scrapes etc. Depending on your vet just call them, mine is happy to talk to me about little stuff without bringing him in.

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Thu May 10, 2018 6:50 am

Mine has cracked a nail like that or a bit worse a few times and it heals up just fine without doing much of anything. I wouldn't walk him on hard surfaces, or at all, and I wouldn't throw stuff for him to retrieve since that will make him run. Just regular playing in the yard should be fine though.

Thundermtn

Post by Thundermtn » Thu May 10, 2018 10:07 am

I had a dog that keep splitting nails like that. Unless I really restricted him the splits would get worse to the point of going to the vet and cutting the nail off past the split, which is what my vet recommended twice.

Eventually I had to switch to grinding the nails round on that dog as straight cut seemed to be the problem. Once I started this I never had another split nail

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 10, 2018 3:03 pm

I'd soak that nail in epsom salts/ warm water mixture twice a day to avoid infection.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Try a drop pf Super Glue on the nail
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Thu May 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Thank you for the advice! Any suggestions of where to put the glue? We went all day today without any blood, then right before bed I put him outside and he busted it open again. I sent him to the kennel and the bleeding stopped, I have a feeling this may be a long healing process. It’s not bothering him at all it seems, he took off around the yard on a sprint and then chased a couple of birds.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Thu May 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Also planning on soaking w/ epsom salt in morning and evening

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 11, 2018 2:53 pm

PoorMansWrangler wrote:Thank you for the advice! Any suggestions of where to put the glue? We went all day today without any blood, then right before bed I put him outside and he busted it open again. I sent him to the kennel and the bleeding stopped, I have a feeling this may be a long healing process. It’s not bothering him at all it seems, he took off around the yard on a sprint and then chased a couple of birds.
I would never use glue as there is a big chance of sealing in infection.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sat May 12, 2018 3:47 pm

2 days with no bleeding and it seems to be healing up nice. I can tell he is getting tired of being in the backyard and not out running free haha

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat May 12, 2018 4:26 pm

I had a GWP that would break one or two every winter. The Vet would grab the loose split shell with hemostats and yank it off. The dog howled like it killed him. Later that same day or the next he would be running on it and they always healed up fine. The dog would hunt with the quick showing, brush and all. I never soaked it or applied anything to it.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun May 13, 2018 8:17 am

Mine completely tore one out middle of January, last weekend of hunting season, and is just starting to clear the skin. Wasn't sure it was going to come back. It was tender for quite a while. Had one rip the nail off and left the quick on the foot.

adamsmith2919

Post by adamsmith2919 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 am

Also planning on soaking w/ epsom salt in morning and evening
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
samishleather online store