hunting the thornapple

setterpoint

hunting the thornapple

Post by setterpoint » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 pm

this will be my first year grouse hunting michigan in september opener. i have always come up the second week of oct.and try and hunt thornapple if i can find them. my qustion is this early will the grouse be in the thornapple or will i be three weeks to early most of the thornapple are red but some are just starting to turn .i quess im trying to say is it to early to hunt this kind of cover

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: hunting the thornapple

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:48 pm

I would hunt the cover that is holding the birds and early in the day.
Where that is, may be related to dryness, food, family group dispersal, etc.
However, the first of the season would find far too many leaves and bracken, for me...as well as the heat.
Fwliw, I like buggywhip aspen or where dem birds are.
Thornapple sounds good tho.
Good luck.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:51 pm

i am retired now and have a cabin in michigan i will grouse hunt ever day if i can iv just never hunted in sept up hear i know the birds will be eating the thorn apple in oct just not sure what to try this time of year

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Early in the season the problem is not finding food sources it's finding what they are eating. Because of the abundance of food grouse can be anywhere. Families will still be together so when you find one bird you may find several. Dogwood, highbush cranberry, acorns greens are all food sources grouse like. With all the rain this year cover will be very thick and the insect population high. Since it sounds like you will have lots of time to hunt you will have plenty of time to scout and hunt prime times. Good luck.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=51445#

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:03 pm

Mountaineer wrote:I would hunt the cover that is holding the birds and early in the day.
Best quote