Astro Not Finding Satelites

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Astro Not Finding Satelites

Post by doco » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:14 am

Spoke with Garmin after doing everything I've found online to reset, new search, etc. only to be told they don't repair them anymore. Has anyone else had this problem. Could it be a broken antenna on tracking unit (don't have a second one to test with). Kind of pissed that a $600 unit that only gets used a handful of times per year crapped out on me. Too funny the Customer Service Lady, sweeter than pie says that it is old and the new ones are cheaper than cell phones. Maybe, but my flip phone lasted 9 years of daily use! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has had this prob. Yes the collar synch's and I've upgraded the software.

setterpoint

Re: Astro Not Finding Satelites

Post by setterpoint » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 pm

sad to hear this i have one the pup got to and chewed the end of antana to where the wire is showing i hope i can just change the antana if i cant i was going to send it back to get fix

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:16 pm

I don't understand what you're saying. Does it not find the dog,or not find it's own position?

asc

Post by asc » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:20 pm

My 220 is doing the same thing (I have dc30 and 40 collars).
Everything worked fine 8-10 days back, now this weekend it's losing communication with the collars, very slow to update position also (sometimes 5 minutes).
Don't think all 4 collars would go bad at once.
I did the updates to unit and collars Sat. with no success and completely reset the unit this afternoon.
Will see on tuesday if it works.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:09 am

doco wrote:Spoke with Garmin after doing everything I've found online to reset, new search, etc. only to be told they don't repair them anymore. Has anyone else had this problem. Could it be a broken antenna on tracking unit (don't have a second one to test with). Kind of pissed that a $600 unit that only gets used a handful of times per year crapped out on me. Too funny the Customer Service Lady, sweeter than pie says that it is old and the new ones are cheaper than cell phones. Maybe, but my flip phone lasted 9 years of daily use! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has had this prob. Yes the collar synch's and I've upgraded the software.
Don't repair them anymore! Why am I not surprised, after they bailed on my perfectly good TT e-collar. Don't think I will be buying anything from Garmin.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:41 am

Do they now have an authorized repair center like Collar Clinic for the repairs?

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:49 am

Not finding any satellites at all. No bars for satellite connections.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:36 pm

I think it has to be your antenna. I"d call Collar Clinic or do an Internet search and see what comes up.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:59 pm

Do you have anyone nearby who has a handheld? You can try the antenna from a working unit on yours, to rule out the antenna as a problem.
FWIW, I've heard of software updates causing various problems. Try posting your question at www.thefieldtrialer.com since there are some tech savvy garmin users over there, maybe someone can help you.

jczv

Post by jczv » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:15 pm

You can get replacement and long distance antennas - but I think that's the antenna to connect with the collar not to connect with GPS. The GPS antenna is the little inch long hump. it looks like from Garmin's website that they'll either fix or replace your device with a refurbished model for $170 or give you your $170 back if they don't have one to replace it with and can't fix it.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html