EP / GSP Breeder Recommendations

RockyTop1384

EP / GSP Breeder Recommendations

Post by RockyTop1384 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Hey all,

New member & first post to the board. I joined to try and solicit some advice from more seasoned enlgish pointer & GSP owners. I currently have a 4-yo female EP. We actually got her as a rescue around a year old with no specific intentions to hunt her, but as it turns out she has great natural instincts & ability and I've taken up an interest in upland hunting because of her. I'd like to get a second dog (puppy) after this upland season but have never gone the breeder route. My preference would be an EP, but I do like GSPs and am open to one. I have experience with both breeds beyond just my 4-yo due to years of fostering with rescue orgs. I'd like to find a few options of breeders to meet with. I'm a casual hunter so this dog isn't going to be competing, etc., and it will be a family dog.

I'm in the Kansas City area so closer the better, but I'm open to any location to find the right dog. Couple names I've seen through my own research:

EP - Kissamee Kennels in CT
GSP - Walnut Creek in GA
GSP - Blue Dawn Kennels in KS

Thank you in advance for any advice!

CWT

Re: EP / GSP Breeder Recommendations

Post by CWT » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 am

Walnut Hills in GA?

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:32 pm

CWT wrote:Walnut Hills in GA?
Correct, my apologies.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:38 pm

You are surrounded by top gsp kennels and hobby breeders. You don't have to go out of area for a top field trial prospect let alone top notch hunting dog.

I actually know of two good litters on the ground right now in Kansas that should be close by. Good guy, he's got an almost 4 month old female that I couldn't close the deal on before my pro left Kansas. Top half is Chisholm Creek Riptide and bottom half is a Walnut Hill bitch.

If interested, drop me a pm and I'll forward you the guy's info.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:26 pm

GSP - don't overlook Prince's Gundog Kennel in Pittsburg KS. I have one from there, and have seen others from there. Quality gun dogs..... I've hunted with a lot of dogs and highly recommend John Prince.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Probably the Kennel at the apex of EP breeding right now is Ross Callaway at Caladen Kennels. South Carolina I think.

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:59 pm

CWT wrote:Walnut Hills in GA?
Yes, Walnut Hill Kennels. My apologies, sorry for confusion.

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:08 pm

kcbullets wrote:GSP - don't overlook Prince's Gundog Kennel in Pittsburg KS. I have one from there, and have seen others from there. Quality gun dogs..... I've hunted with a lot of dogs and highly recommend John Prince.
Great, thank you for the advice. Is your GSP from there a house / family dog as well? Good, amiable temperament? Thanks!

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:11 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Probably the Kennel at the apex of EP breeding right now is Ross Callaway at Caladen Kennels. South Carolina I think.
Thank you. Do you have any personal experience with their dogs? Appreciate the suggestion!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:43 pm

Join the Heart of America GSP Club (HOA) - we are a group in the Kansas City area. Lots of great dogs, lots of really great people. Some breeders and some GREAT trainers.

Check out our FB page - I just posted results from a trial this past weekend (the top 4 dogs in the Amateur Gun Dog live inside and sleep on their humans' bed).

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:53 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Join the Heart of America GSP Club (HOA) - we are a group in the Kansas City area. Lots of great dogs, lots of really great people. Some breeders and some GREAT trainers.

Check out our FB page - I just posted results from a trial this past weekend (the top 4 dogs in the Amateur Gun Dog live inside and sleep on their humans' bed).
Thanks for the suggestion. I found / liked the FB page. How do I join / do you guys meet on a regular basis?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:46 pm

RockyTop1384 wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Probably the Kennel at the apex of EP breeding right now is Ross Callaway at Caladen Kennels. South Carolina I think.
Thank you. Do you have any personal experience with their dogs? Appreciate the suggestion!
I do not but I do know the owner. I have also had a lot of people recommend his breeding program which is probably the most advanced program in the country. A person who has tremendous success with setters told me he considers Ross at the forefront of EP breeding.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:57 pm

X2

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:04 pm

Sharon wrote:X2
For Caladen Kennels?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:09 pm

RockyTop1384 wrote:
RoostersMom wrote:Join the Heart of America GSP Club (HOA) - we are a group in the Kansas City area. Lots of great dogs, lots of really great people. Some breeders and some GREAT trainers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found / liked the FB page. How do I join / do you guys meet on a regular basis?
I sent you a PM with details on the November meeting - if you can't make that one, we do it all over again the next month!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:28 pm

RockyTop1384 wrote:
Sharon wrote:X2
For Caladen Kennels?
Yes.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 am

I dont know if I would consider Ross the apex of the pointer world. He has had some success, but not near the success as quite a few other EP guys. Mainly Wright Kennels, Gary Lester, Sean Derrig and many others that have won considerably more and produce very very nice dogs.

If you want a guard rail bred dog then Ross is probably the way to go.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:39 am

Elkhunter wrote:I dont know if I would consider Ross the apex of the pointer world. He has had some success, but not near the success as quite a few other EP guys. Mainly Wright Kennels, Gary Lester, Sean Derrig and many others that have won considerably more and produce very very nice dogs.

Amen

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:22 pm

Elkhunter wrote:I dont know if I would consider Ross the apex of the pointer world. He has had some success, but not near the success as quite a few other EP guys. Mainly Wright Kennels, Gary Lester, Sean Derrig and many others that have won considerably more and produce very very nice dogs.

I appreciate the different perspective. Wright Kennels is the one out of Indiana? Sean Derrig is with Erin's Kennels out of IL? Where is Gary Lester? Appreciate some of the new names and some other kennels to think about as I start to talk to folks and see what is out there and evaluate what kind of pup would be the right fit for me.

Do you have personal experience with these folks and anything that stands out about the type of dogs they produce?

codym

Post by codym » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:44 pm

I don't have any experience with them directly, but they have all made thier names by breeding and winning with dogs in HB stakes AA/SD. It would proabably be helpful to know what you are looking for in a dog. Are you a foot hunter? what kind of birds do you hunt? Do you want to trial and if so what kind of trialing? will you be training the dog yourself? The better you answer these questions the better the recomendation on breeders people can give you.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Yes sir, my dog from Prince's Kennel is a family dog. She is now 2, and I got her at about 8 weeks. She is house broke and great personality. I would tell whatever breeder you go with what type of personality of a dog you desire. I have had hyper dogs and calm dogs. In my older age, the calm dogs are much more enjoyable to be around.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:08 pm

Like Codym asked, what kind of traits are you looking for in a prospect?? Serious breeders are breeding for certain traits and until you determine what specific traits you are looking for in a dog, you will not know direction to start looking. You can buy pointers all day long on gundog central if any pointer will do.

Steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:24 pm

"I've taken up an interest in upland hunting....................................... I'm a casual hunter so this dog isn't going to be competing, etc., and it will be a family dog. " quote OP

This statement of yours should have a big influence on the breeder you choose. You want to get the job done but not need a horse to manage the dog. You don't want to buy a porsche that you only drive in low gear.

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:28 pm

Foot hunting for me. Mostly quail but also some pheasant or chukar primarily in western mo / eastern ks. I will be training myself. Like i said in my original post i don't have plans to compete, trial, etc. I'm a casual hunter who wants to start bringing up a pup behind my current dog. I'd prefer a calmer dog to a hyper dog, but that is all relative with breeds and age. Female preference. Appesrance wise i like bigger versions of pointers vs smaller, but thats not most important thing. Like liver & white gsps vs black. Like orange or liver & white for eps. Amiable temperamnet.

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:33 pm

Sharon wrote:"I've taken up an interest in upland hunting....................................... I'm a casual hunter so this dog isn't going to be competing, etc., and it will be a family dog. " quote OP

This statement of yours should have a big influence on the breeder you choose. You want to get the job done but not need a horse to manage the dog. You don't want to buy a porsche that you only drive in low gear.
Yes i dont need the #1 bird dog in the country. But i want a pup that will be trainable, amiable, intelligent, good nose...one who is excited about the field but equally loves being part of the family.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:29 pm

Walnut Hills has a variety of females, and males. I have a 4 month old pup out of sam man that I'm really liking. Tell them what you want and see what they say

rsz_20151009_102018-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:48 pm

My #1 GSP was sired by Walnut Hill's Fritz; my #2 GSP is 100% Walnut Hill (he is basically a nephew of #1). Both are wonderful pets, hunting companions, and all round good dogs.

#1 is an AFC, MH, and placed 4th at the National Amateur Walking Gundog Trials last year. #2 is really coming along nicely; he recently earning a leg of MH. He has also placed in gundog stakes. They are intelligent, enthusiastic hunters with great noses, lots of energy, and great temperaments. We really enjoy them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Sounds like Walnut Hill, while not in my back yard, is one I'll definitely be contacting to find out about their program and if my needs are a good fit with their dogs. For those of you who have Walnut Hill dogs, what size are the females generally.....50 lbs? Thanks!

codym

Post by codym » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:13 am

For what you are looking for in a pointer and given your location call jim Harris at Harris kennels, I believe they are in Ft. Scott. They have a couple litters that may be what your looking for.

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:09 pm

Don't know if you would be interested but I have some Guard Rail-Honky Tonk Attitude pups on the ground that should make excellent foot dogs. I also have a litter that was just born that is heavy Crow's Little Joe with a touch of Attitude blood as well. Both of these litters should satisfy your needs. Located in SW MO

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Scott, What's the breeding on the CLJ litter?

Mike

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:44 am

Mike u can see it on gundog central or i can send it to u later. On my phone and csnnot do itcon it.

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:20 am

codym wrote:For what you are looking for in a pointer and given your location call jim Harris at Harris kennels, I believe they are in Ft. Scott. They have a couple litters that may be what your looking for.
I have them on the list & will make it a point to reach out to them. Thanks!

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:26 am

sckwest1 wrote:Don't know if you would be interested but I have some Guard Rail-Honky Tonk Attitude pups on the ground that should make excellent foot dogs. I also have a litter that was just born that is heavy Crow's Little Joe with a touch of Attitude blood as well. Both of these litters should satisfy your needs. Located in SW MO
I saw the pedigree on gundog central. Do you have link to pics of parents / pups?

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:19 am

steelcitykennels.com

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks. I'll take a look. Two other breeders I might ask about are Willow Creek Kennels up in Little Falls, MN and the Minnesota Horse and Hunt Club Kennels. Anybody have any experience with them? Both breed GSPs. Thanks!

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:31 am

Yes Willow Creek is in Little Falls Minnesota. Chad will treat you right. Grouse point kennels and Dankar kennels both in Wi. both produce nice foot handling dogs. We'll be breeding our VC Gunslinger's NW Heartbreaker to INT CH VC Dankars Ready and Able Blitz MH. Both super nice wild bird dog. This breeding won't happen until Late Jan early Feb. I'd also be talking to Carolina Gundogs. Tim has a litter post now. Tim's a very stand up guy.
Last edited by Ms. Cage on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:Tim's a very stand up guy.
+1

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Jason Goslinga at Pro Shot Kennels in Iowa has well bred puppies on the ground. good dogs a good guy that has been around awhile.
A guy up here has a litter available around Christmas by my stud dog Sunny. Pm if interested and I will send his information.
freidelshiems has a litter on the way I believe........................Cj

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Is your looking that far up you should check Freidelshiems and Sundance for sure.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:28 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
I have very high expectations for the litter I have recently whelped. I will be keeping several of the pups to forward my kennel with.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:55 am

This is not an endorsement or a recommendation as I have no experience with them or the quality of their dogs. But Nitro Kennels right there in Missouri breeds EP's with the intent of being for the foot hunter.

RockyTop1384

Post by RockyTop1384 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:38 pm

madmurph wrote:This is not an endorsement or a recommendation as I have no experience with them or the quality of their dogs. But Nitro Kennels right there in Missouri breeds EP's with the intent of being for the foot hunter.
Thanks! Has anyone else worked with or would endorse nitro?

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:17 pm

I had a dog from Nitro Kennels years ago that was mediocre at best in the field.
Last edited by kcbullets on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:20 pm

I would not endorse or recommend Nitro Kennels.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Mask x2

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:14 pm

3 dogs in a month? That's nuts. I spend a couple years picking out a litter and getting a pup.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:07 pm

greg jacobs wrote:3 dogs in a month? That's nuts. I spend a couple years picking out a litter and getting a pup.
They were no brainer litters. Lottery ticket bitches*, with great pedigrees, bred to national champ studs, with great pedigrees, that made sense.

It should have been more. If i could have, i would have doubled up on at least 2 of the litters. I got closed out of another litter and couldn't come up with a fair price for a flyer dog.

* - a well bred bitch that wins nationals, etc

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:23 pm

Looks like we live in 2 different worlds. I certainly couldn't afford to buy 3 dogs in a month and the place them with trainers and handlers. Although it sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sure part of us were throwing out names that could provide him with a really nice gundog.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:49 am

greg jacobs wrote:Looks like we live in 2 different worlds. I certainly couldn't afford to buy 3 dogs in a month and the place them with trainers and handlers. Although it sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sure part of us were throwing out names that could provide him with a really nice gundog.

My point is that, in the 2010s, it is easier than ever for anybody to buy an exceptionally well bred GSP.

20 years ago, these litters never made it past a small circle of people.