Preferred bell!?

dandrus1022

Preferred bell!?

Post by dandrus1022 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:03 pm

Hey guys! What bell do you guys run on your dogs? I have the north woods long range bell and the Remington large bell from tractor supply. I normally run the north woods on my Britt but I just recently got the Sportdog tek 2.0 so I was wondering if I should put the Remington on since it's not nearly as loud. I like running a bell so I can keep tabs on my girl so I don't have to be looking at the gps all the time. I don't mind a loud bell I just didn't know if there was cons with a loud bell? Like spooking birds etc. let me know

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Preferred bell!?

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 pm

I despise bells but when I used to run them, I liked the ones with a deep tone. Look at Lion Country Supply. They have the best selection aroud.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:15 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I despise bells but when I used to run them, I liked the ones with a deep tone. Look at Lion Country Supply. They have the best selection aroud.
Why do you despise bells?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:27 pm

It's a personal thing. I love the silence and sounds of nature in the woods and prairies. Last thing I want to hear is the clanking of a bell or tone of a beeper. I went to the Astro and found total happiness.

I also believe that the less noise you make bird hunting the more effective you are.

I live in Wi. and we have a crap pot full of wolves here. I think that the tolling of a bell on a dog is akin to ringing the dinner bell for them.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Northwoods long range is a good bell, I will use it on windy days with an Astro but I use a little bell with the Astro most times. Just enough to let me keep tabs on my dog without needing to be constantly checking a screen. Never really found that a bell makes birds more skiddish

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:26 pm

They only time I would run a bell is if I were training to run in a grouse trial.

I don't spend much time looking at the screen of the Astro, just wait for the point alert.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:38 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:Northwoods long range is a good bell, I will use it on windy days with an Astro but I use a little bell with the Astro most times. Just enough to let me keep tabs on my dog without needing to be constantly checking a screen. Never really found that a bell makes birds more skiddish
How far out does your britt range? mine with stay out right around 70-80 yards. i like the tone of the northwoods bell i just didnt want it spooking grouse

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:43 am

dandrus1022 wrote:
ruffbritt4 wrote:Northwoods long range is a good bell, I will use it on windy days with an Astro but I use a little bell with the Astro most times. Just enough to let me keep tabs on my dog without needing to be constantly checking a screen. Never really found that a bell makes birds more skiddish
How far out does your britt range? mine with stay out right around 70-80 yards. i like the tone of the northwoods bell i just didnt want it spooking grouse
In the woods, anywhere from 80 to 150 yards. Do you find that your dog has trouble hearing over the bell?

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 am

With the northwoods bell i definitely think she has a little trouble hearing me. She stops a few times to listen for where i am. But she is also 6 months old too.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 am

I like the Lion Country on windy or rainy days or during a trial when my bracemate uses something ridiculously loud on a short dog. Otherwise find a quiter sunkhaze bell or the Canadian handmade bell on Lion Country.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:33 am

Have any of you ran the Remington bell from TSC?

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:10 am

Winchey wrote:I like the Lion Country on windy or rainy days or during a trial when my bracemate uses something ridiculously loud on a short dog. Otherwise find a quiter sunkhaze bell or the Canadian handmade bell on Lion Country.
I'm with you. When I see a bracemate that wears a Northwoods bell I hope they have a big running dog. I lost my favorite bell after a trial when we went hunting. Unfortunately the gentleman that made mine told me he isn't making bells anymore. I have both the Northwoods and Canadian Low Tone from Lion Country and I prefer the Canadian Low Tone. It is smaller than the Northwoods bell and carries to my ears out to about 200 yards. The Northwoods bell does carry farther out, but I prefer the sound of the Canadian Low Tone and like that it is smaller.

I bought my father a Sunkhaze bell made with Copper I believe, but to be honest I'm not a huge fan. It's loud enough, but I don't care too much for the sound. I probably would like a different metal better.

As far as a bell scaring birds I have never found that to be the case. I was out yesterday morning for about an hour and a half and we found 11 grouse and 5 woodcock. I hunt with people that don't use bells and it is rare that they find more birds. I also will forget my bells from time to time and when that happens we don't find more birds, but it does make for a more frustrating hunt for me.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:05 am

Mike Flewelling usually has a bunch on hand at the trials for sale, none of them sound the same, you need to
find one you like.

skunk

Post by skunk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:18 pm

I use a GPS on my dog as well but like you're finding, I also like to hear where he is so I don't have to look down at the GPS all the time.

My favorite bell is the small cowbell from Lion Country Supply:
http://www.lcsupply.com/Hunting-Dog-Col ... tinfo/SCB/

Sometimes it is a bit too quiet so I also have the Handmade Canadian Low Tone bell but this one can be too loud. I worry about it distracting my dog and it can definitely get annoying to hear that clanking. I also wish it had a built in loop to hook on my dog's collar like the small cowbell does:
http://www.lcsupply.com/Handmade-Canadi ... info/HCBL/

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Has anyone tried the genuine Swiss bells?

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:39 pm

I like to use a bell that is as small as possible. I always suspected that the bell spooks birds, but as my dog has improved with her pointing skills, I have a hard time keeping track of her in heavy cover. I believe the one I use is from Remington, makes just enough noise that I can hear where she is in gun range and to let me know when she's stopped.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:16 am

What do you guys think about this bell? http://www.lcsupply.com/Hunting-Dog-Lar ... tinfo/LCB/

I have a sunkhaze bell right now but i find it hard for me to hear around 70 yards out

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:58 am

I have a small cowbell I bought at Tractor Supply for $2.99. I'll call it a 75 yard bell when threaded directly on the collar.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:14 pm

LCS northwoods bell here, and a GPS.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:21 pm

small cowbell on a flag ring. Dog is big running Brittany.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 pm

dandrus1022 wrote:Hey guys! What bell do you guys run on your dogs? I have the north woods long range bell and the Remington large bell from tractor supply. I normally run the north woods on my Britt but I just recently got the Sportdog tek 2.0 so I was wondering if I should put the Remington on since it's not nearly as loud. I like running a bell so I can keep tabs on my girl so I don't have to be looking at the gps all the time. I don't mind a loud bell I just didn't know if there was cons with a loud bell? Like spooking birds etc. let me know
i bought a sport tek 1 collar. My dog would not hunt with it on. Too Big ??

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:13 am

My britt doesnt mind the Tek 2 at all! its really big on her but she still hunts hard.

marc

Post by marc » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:17 pm

I use a New England Bell #4 bell. It has a lower tone and carries nicely in the thick stuff. It's not too loud though. They offer larger and smaller ones.
http://www.newenglandbells.com/dog-collar-bells-4-bell/

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:15 am

marc wrote:I use a New England Bell #4 bell. It has a lower tone and carries nicely in the thick stuff. It's not too loud though. They offer larger and smaller ones.
http://www.newenglandbells.com/dog-collar-bells-4-bell/
How Far does your dog range?

marc

Post by marc » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Not more than 100 yards in the grouse woods. He ranged 300or so in some open-understory, hilly woods we were hunting, and I could barely hear him over the hills at that range.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:52 pm

Orvis just released this podcast. Made me look at bells differently. I prefer the silent hunt with a Garmin Alpha and my dog is usually too far out to benefit from a bell. But if I hunted in thick cover and he ranged closer. I'd probably like it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/orv ... =377620595