GSP or Viszlas or others???

Golden1

GSP or Viszlas or others???

Post by Golden1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:22 pm

I need help deciding on the breed that would be best for me. I really like both the GSP and Vizsla but have heard some things that I don't like about both. I have heard that GSP will jump fences and I don't want that to happen because a neighbor has an aggressive GSD. I have heard that Vizsla is shy and nervous which is a trait that I don't like. I would be hunting with the dog and bringing it with me as I go outdoors like fishing/boating/camping and stuff like that. I would appreciate and suggestions and opinions that you have and also if any of you have any suggestions for other breeds I would like that too.

mnaj_springer

Re: GSP or Viszlas or others???

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Spend some time with north breeds. Talk to owners. Talk to clubs. Go to hunt tests and trials.

I have met quite a few GSPs and only heard of a couple escape dogs.... But my Pointer escaped too.

My buddy and his brother have vizslas.... My buddy's is a "Velcro dog" but he's a a bold hunting dog. His brother's dog is much more independent. I think the Velcro dog vs. independence relates more to range and cooperativeness rather than boldness in the field.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:34 am

i have a gsp. great dog. maybe i just have a really calm one, but i don't find his energy to be anything i can't handle. i do try to make him burn it as much as i can tho. he's good in the house around two kids. we hunt and hike all the time. i take him to parks. swimming. etc.

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:48 am

I've had both. The GSP's were higher strung than the V's, but both breeds were great in the field. Two of my 3 V's were "velcro" dogs, but the third was not. The V's were "softer" & the GSP's tender to be "hard headed". This is a small sampling & I'm sure you'll find that every dog is different. Plus you won't know which type you have until it is full grown. Good luck!

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:56 am

Let me first say that I have never owned a vizsla, so I don't have any experience with it, but I have herd that vizslas can have separation anxiety which can lead to distructive habits and other things. Obviously this doesn't apply to every vizsla, but its something to think about when considering a velcro dog. I just got my first GSP and everything is going great so far, he is young so there is a lot is still don't know, but he is independent yet loves to be around my wife and I. And remember, not all dogs conform to breed norms or stereo types. Like the guys said before spend time with each and get to know each breed for yourself. I've been around several GSPs and hunted with them, so that's why I got a GSP. Also, I grew up with a yellow lab that my father and I hunted with, great dog as long as u don't mind the hair. I'm talking about the leaner taller version of the labs, not the tank versions.

Good luck

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 am

I own a GSP and she is part kangaroo. She is 7 years old and she jumps a 6' high cedar slat fence likes it is not there. Other than a little shy of loud noises (thunder, fireworks, and firearms if she has to sit in a blind) and she gets a little "whistle deaf" when she out at long range she's a great dog. Good retriever when she is hunting on the move and holds a good point. She doesn't like hunting in cold weather though.

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:57 am

Walk or ride some braces at field trials and hunt tests and decide for yourself.
There is no way to say one breed is better than the other. It comes down to deciding what you want and then choosing a reputable/proven breeder based on genetics and history for the traits you are looking for.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:40 am

GSP's and vizslas can scramble jump well over 6 feet and some of them do it just for fun. Maybe you'd have to rethink your fencing for either of those breeds ?

Where hunting is concerned it depends on what you like when deciding upon a breed and even then it is possible to buy a pup that is not very typical of it's breed. Most GSP's like to cover a lot ground and most vizlsas do not in my experience.....but maybe I've never trained the right sort of vizsla ?

Bill T.

Golden1

Post by Golden1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for the replies, I am actually going to get a GSP pup this weekend

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:30 pm

That was quick

Golden1

Post by Golden1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:24 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:That was quick
I posted this 3 weeks ago without any response so did my own research and talked to people and found a breeder with a pup that I liked

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:40 pm

We have had Both Shorthairs & Vizslas! In our expierence Vizsla's are very family oriented & Our Shorthairs were not... the shorthairs were difficult to house break, neurotic when left alone... Bark, whine, Dig hole(outside) & chew everything (if not crated). Both hunted well our Vizsla Had the best nose, but not a great retriever preferring live birds. However most are good retrievers. Our Shorthair was a Great retriever but headstrong required many more corrections in the field. For me it wasn't fun. If you want a family & field companion a Vizsla is in "MY OPINION" the better choice! If it is a Field only then Either will do good! Enjoy your Puppy!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Golden1 wrote:
I posted this 3 weeks ago without any response so did my own research and talked to people and found a breeder with a pup that I liked
Oh, there must have been a delay with the approval process because it only popped up the other day.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:23 pm

There is a big range of shorthairs. From a real off switch to bouncing off the walls. You can get about anything you want or don't want.

Greg

vizslatrainer

Post by vizslatrainer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Golden1 wrote:
I can tell you people wait for months and years to get the right dog. 2 weeks is not a long time. Buying a puppy is a life time proposition and I would advise more noodling on the breeds, the breeders and the puppies. Dont jump into it.

First step is to read all the literature available for the breeds and decide if its best for you. Then start checking breeders. Do not let price enter the equation. The price of the puppy is just the ante.....Health and temprament are key. Do not buy a dog from a puppy farm.

Just my 2 cents.

We have had both GSP s and V's. Our last GSP was 14 when she passed.

Golden1

Post by Golden1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:02 pm

vizslatrainer wrote:
Golden1 wrote:
I can tell you people wait for months and years to get the right dog. 2 weeks is not a long time. Buying a puppy is a life time proposition and I would advise more noodling on the breeds, the breeders and the puppies. Dont jump into it.

First step is to read all the literature available for the breeds and decide if its best for you. Then start checking breeders. Do not let price enter the equation. The price of the puppy is just the ante.....Health and temprament are key. Do not buy a dog from a puppy farm.

Just my 2 cents.

We have had both GSP s and V's. Our last GSP was 14 when she passed.
I understand what you're saying, but I also have done a ton of research on these two breeds specifically the last 6 months and then I found this forum and wanted to ask for some opinions even though I was already leaning toward the GSP, since they seem to fit me betterand decided that for my first gundog I wanted a GSP. And the pup is not from a puppy farm I hate what people do to those dogs.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Congrats on the new pup Enjoy; It is all in the Training :wink:

Grant

Golden1

Post by Golden1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:43 pm

I've decided against getting the pup. I think I jumped into it to quickly and have decided that I will wait until I find the right one from proven parents. I appreciate all of your replies.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Golden1 wrote:I've decided against getting the pup. I think I jumped into it to quickly and have decided that I will wait until I find the right one from proven parents. I appreciate all of your replies.
I think this is a good choice. You'll end up with the breeding you want, and you will be happier with that dog.