Sit , Stay , Down.

Legband

Sit , Stay , Down.

Post by Legband » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:54 pm

While I don't want to enter the debate on weather you use Sit only or Sit and Stay a obedient dog is a pleasure to hunt with
My chocolate lab Colonial Samuel Colt the Second ( aka Colt the Wonder dog) is not the most driven lab in the field.
While his charge out to the bird is strong he is not the fastest on the return in fact he takes his time.
But his obedience level is what I consider to be great.
He will sit or lay forever , I can place him in a remote location if I'm hunting deep water and he will patiently await the shot.
Here are a few pics of him waiting and watching.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoys Pro-Staff

Legband

Re: Sit , Stay , Down.

Post by Legband » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:12 pm

A few more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoys Pro-Staff

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Nice looking dog. Love the expressions on his face. I have a chocolate lab that has a similar look to him, but Sarge is not so calm in a duck blind. He whines - which is annoying. Good thing I'm a 99% of the time upland hunter!

Legband

Post by Legband » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:43 am

Fran Seagren wrote:Nice looking dog. Love the expressions on his face. I have a chocolate lab that has a similar look to him, but Sarge is not so calm in a duck blind. He whines - which is annoying. Good thing I'm a 99% of the time upland hunter!
How ironic that you have a lab that whines and I assume from your post that your upland dog / dogs do not.
Colt my lab is quite and easy , as you picked up on he speaks with his face.
But when hunting upland if I hunt one dog at a time both of my short hairs whine while waiting for there turn in the field.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoys Pro-Staff

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:03 pm

great post. nice looking dog

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Legband wrote:
Fran Seagren wrote:Nice looking dog. Love the expressions on his face. I have a chocolate lab that has a similar look to him, but Sarge is not so calm in a duck blind. He whines - which is annoying. Good thing I'm a 99% of the time upland hunter!
How ironic that you have a lab that whines and I assume from your post that your upland dog / dogs do not.
Colt my lab is quite and easy , as you picked up on he speaks with his face.
But when hunting upland if I hunt one dog at a time both of my short hairs whine while waiting for there turn in the field.
My GWP - if I walk away from the car with her still in the back while she thinks we are going to hunt - goes ballistic. It sounds like screaming. I don't think she would sound any more tormented if somebody was skinning her alive.

3gsps

Post by 3gsps » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:35 pm

my female shorthair if left behind when I leave the truck sounds like someone is cutting off a paw with a very dull butter knife!!! even if she has run all day, she still wants to go. but get her home after that she will sleep by the easy chair for days & not care till I pick up the gun case again :mrgreen: