feeding pork cause pancreasisis

oldbeek

feeding pork cause pancreasisis

Post by oldbeek » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:30 am

My vet told me today to never feed pork to a dog. Can cause pancreas distress. I used to give my gsp ham bones all the time.??? My last Britt did have problems with ham bones. What say you?

MonsterDad

Re: feeding pork cause pancreasisis

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:45 am

Time to find a new vet....that is the silliest thing I have ever heard. You know how many foods use pork and pork fat? High-end foods too.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:32 am

i believe your vet is referring to raw pork.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Volunteer to answer your vet's phone in the days following Christmas, Easter, or other hammy holidays. Lots of sick dogs that got into dinner or leftovers.

It's not small bits of pork that generally make the trouble, but the ingestion of rich high fat goodies like pork in quantity that cause distress. 'Quantity' varies from dog to dog.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:20 pm

shags wrote:Volunteer to answer your vet's phone in the days following Christmas, Easter, or other hammy holidays. Lots of sick dogs that got into dinner or leftovers.

It's not small bits of pork that generally make the trouble, but the ingestion of rich high fat goodies like pork in quantity that cause distress. 'Quantity' varies from dog to dog.
what she said

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 pm

I'm no vet. Just telling my experience.

7 yr old outdoor brittany that only ate dry dog food and dog treats. I'm grilling pork chops on grill. Cut off a small piece of pork fat after they were cooked and tossed it to my dog as a treat. About a day or two later, if I'm remembering without asking the wife, she is laying on the garage floor half dead. I take her to the vet and he ask me a series of questions. I truly didn't remember tossing her the pork fat. It was so benign. He keeps her over night on fluids. Next day he still trying to diagnose. My friend calls that used to work for a vet and starts drilling me with quetions. When she swore I had to have fed her something, I then remembered the pork fat. She immediatly said that is it and to call my vet now!! When I told the vet, they said that was it and now they had a direction to go. Next day or so she was on the mend. I go to get her, I said to the vet, " surely it wasn't my fault? It was only a small piece!" He said " Oh yes it was. We took a chunk of pork fat out of her and then she started getting better." He said pork is not good for dogs. Expensive piece of pork!!

That was 10 years ago. I've got another Brittany now and won't be feeding her pork scraps. My best friend now is a vet. He said he gives his dog pork. Mainly has to do with what they are used to.

So I guess it was mainly due to it being not her normal diet, greasy fat, etc.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:43 pm

One of the first things I learned when we first got into our sleddogs was to avoid pork. I'm pretty sure it's the raw that needs to be avoided.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Update. Blood test showed she has Pancreasitus. Only thing new in her diet was a small piece of pork. Vet is a new guy with a masters in nutrition. I showed him the pork ingredients in a dog food. He says this is one of the hottest topics at vet seminars. He is also not a fan of the high meat content dog foods. I forced fluids into her for the last 24 hrs and still her chloride level is falling. Her vomiting bile has slowed to almost a stop. She hasn't eaten in 4 days. She is on an IV tonight. All because I left some scraps around.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 pm

THis is all very interesting . You learn something every day. I don't like pork , but sometimes buy sometimes buy ground pork . I'll make sure the dogs don't get any.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog. Hope thing turn around and fast

About the high meat dog foods. I thought those were what we are supposed to feed our dog now.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:50 am

jfwhit wrote:Sorry to hear about your dog. Hope thing turn around and fast

About the high meat dog foods. I thought those were what we are supposed to feed our dog now.
Really! So now "meat" is bad for our dogs? Good grief it's hard to keep up.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:32 am

oldbeek wrote:Update. Blood test showed she has Pancreasitus. Only thing new in her diet was a small piece of pork. Vet is a new guy with a masters in nutrition. I showed him the pork ingredients in a dog food. He says this is one of the hottest topics at vet seminars. He is also not a fan of the high meat content dog foods. I forced fluids into her for the last 24 hrs and still her chloride level is falling. Her vomiting bile has slowed to almost a stop. She hasn't eaten in 4 days. She is on an IV tonight. All because I left some scraps around.
What you just said about this confirms how brainwashed they all are by Hills, Purina & Royal Canin. If this Vet actually said he is not a fan of high meat content diets my advice to you is never take your dog to see this vet. I mean that.

The reason why this is a hot topic is that major companies can't make and market good foods so they create these myths to defend themselves and the Vets are so gullible they eat it right up. The AVMA reports that at least 50% of dogs and cats are dangerously obese, and that is because the owners listen to their Vets about diet and feed low animal protein and low animal fat diets with very high starch content and very high fiber. This is totally wrong but too much money is on the line to correct the fraud perpetrated by Vets and the major pet food companies.

Any overload of any fat whether is is animal or vegetable can cause pancreatitis in a dog predisposed to it.

Pork and pork fat happen to be excellent foods for dogs. Dr. Tim's (Hunt) just introduced a pork based food and I can guaranty you that if there was any truth to this myth about pork he would never have marketed the food.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:46 am

"Raw" Pork has nothing to do with pancreatitis. The "no raw pork' came from the old days when eating raw pork was the source of trichinosis (a disease).
In the modern world of "confined hogs", there is no more worry about trichinosis.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:23 pm

The pork was not raw. It was just one small leftover barbequed rib. Xrays showed the sickness was not a bone problem. A blood test revealed the pancreasisis. The vomit was from the bile released by the aggravated pancreas. Yellow floating in mucuse.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:35 am

We have treated many, many cases of pancreatitis over the years at our hospital. The causes of this condition are extremely varied, from dietary indiscretion to who knows what, it is difficult to absolutely point a finger to the reason with every case.

With the ones where something very different is fed to the dog and the within a few days the dog has abdominal pain, pancreatic changes on an ultrasound, a fever, vomiting and dehydrated it might be safe to assume the different food item is to blame and avoiding it in the future is important. When the pancreas flares up it is painful and can become critical in a hurry. Pork, turkey fat, chicken, pizza, garbage, compost, etc have been possible initiators over time to the best of our knowledge in different instances. Sometimes it is the very novel fat that can set it off, many times I have no clue what did it. Pork has seemed to be one over the years vets have keyed in on to blame but I do not believe it is evil to feed it. For many years I fed it to my sled dogs in volume with never a problem. Might just be a combination of events that leads to the perfect storm.

I believe some dogs do have a low grade IBD(inflammatory bowel disease) in response to a continued food source and then something new is added and it pops the problem over the top, like water over a bridge. Many of the cases have changes on ultrasound that indicate a level of chronicity(long term issue) and suddenly it came to a head. Again, the novel, highly dense fat object can sometimes trigger this is some dogs along with other food items, too.

Lastly, it is good there is not a worry about trichonosis in the US anymore as Dr E stated. Just with polar bears and things that eat seals.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Excellent post. Thanks very much.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks Dr Tim for answering my e-mail and chiming in. At any rate the pup is back to normal. I am trying to keep her activity down as I know she must be weak. Eating a low fat diet for a few days.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:22 am

oldbeek wrote:Thanks Dr Tim for answering my e-mail and chiming in. At any rate the pup is back to normal. I am trying to keep her activity down as I know she must be weak. Eating a low fat diet for a few days.

Valley fever is a bigger thing to worry about in your area.

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:51 am

We feed our dogs most any thing including pork,starting at weaning and never had an issue with any kind of allergy and the only time we need the vet is occasionally for a C-section. Appears that a broad diet helps the immune system.I have known many people that put bacon fat in their dogs food ,particularly.We put all those leftovers in our kennel stew so it is small amounts at a time .

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 am

gamekeeper wrote:We feed our dogs most any thing including pork,starting at weaning and never had an issue with any kind of allergy and the only time we need the vet is occasionally for a C-section. Appears that a broad diet helps the immune system.I have known many people that put bacon fat in their dogs food ,particularly.We put all those leftovers in our kennel stew so it is small amounts at a time .
A lot of us have had the same results while feeding a dry dog food. But I do think a well rounded diet is essential but not sure what it has to do with the immune system. But what ever works for you.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Beretta14

Post by Beretta14 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:54 am

We feed our GSP wild pig that we harvest from our property.we cook it of course. But, reading all of this makes us second guess :-( I don't understand how something so organic could be worse than corn/grain infused dog food. Anyone else feed their dog wild pig? We haven't had any problems and she has eaten a lot.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:09 am

Beretta14 wrote:We feed our GSP wild pig that we harvest from our property.we cook it of course. But, reading all of this makes us second guess :-( I don't understand how something so organic could be worse than corn/grain infused dog food. Anyone else feed their dog wild pig? We haven't had any problems and she has eaten a lot.
Many things might be worse than a good feed that has animal and vegetable sourced protein and fats plus they get the carbs from the vegetable source. Dogs need those to survive and our dog foods have spent millions of dollars finding what is the best way to provide those needs and luckily it also allows us to be able to afford them. Single sourced feed is never good.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:11 am

diplomat019 wrote:i believe your vet is referring to raw pork.
+1

Get a clarification from your vet.
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Beretta14

Post by Beretta14 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:43 pm

We mix it in with her dog food and ad veggies. I was just concerned with the pork consumption.

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:54 am

A farmer up the road called yesterday and said he just dressed three hogs and had a lot of trimmings for me.He gives me all trimmings chicken ,pork, moose ,deer ,beef etc.We found that dogs that get broad mixture of diet have no difficulty .A dog that just eats dry and you give him something this hightest may have problems.As I was cutting this up this morning I was throwing hunks of raw pork to the house dogs,GWP,Border Terriers and Pugs and they wolfed it down.The pregnant bitches were crazy for it,they all got 1/2-1 lb apiece it was a treat to celebrate my 69 yr. b-day.Two of them are 3mo.old pups.

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:59 am

P.S. In 50 + years of dogs NEVER had a dog or kid with an allergy of any kind?

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:10 pm

I find the statement that pork causes pancreatitis somewhat far fetched. Our #1 GSP doesn't tolerate beef, so we often throw leftover cooked pork, chicken, or fish in our dogs' dishes along with their dry food. Never had an issue.

Meanwhile, my sister has an older Sheltie that developed pancreatitis a few years ago & as a result has to be on very low protein dog food. However, this is a dog that is basically is walked & has a large fenced in yard -- nothing touching the activity levels of dogs on this forum.

There would need to be an unbiased scientific study on this subject before I'd lend credence to what a few vets say based on anecdotal evidence.

JMHO,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Lard has been an ingredient in my dog's feed for over 12 years. No problems or issues to report.
A good bird dog is always the right color

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:26 pm

claybuster_aa wrote:Lard has been an ingredient in my dog's feed for over 12 years. No problems or issues to report.
I have never heard of this either and find nothing to it back up.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:02 pm

I started this post and have to agree with most answers. My old GSP's would eat ham leftovers all the time. For coat improvement I would fry up potatoe peelings in bacon grease. I had a weekly supply of ham bones and fat. My last Brittany would get incontinent in her kennel box at night if I gave her ham, and that may have been the salt in it. That said, I really think it was the SMALL piece of pork that set this dog off. With this pup her food has ben varied but all dry commercial food. She is an extremely active dog that trains 1/2 hr almost every day. Who knows? Any way it got a lot of discussion.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:19 pm

I was hunting yesterday with my friend who is a vet. He was periodically taking calls about a dog that he was trying to get over pancreatitis. I asked him about this issue discussed on this thread. He said no one really know what triggers it. some dogs can tolerate fats and others can't. He's seen a piece of meat, such as one slice of ham, set it off and surgery was needed to save the dog costing hundreds of dollars. I said "hard to believe one piece of meat can be so costly" (pertaining to my story in this thread). He said "I know". I asked if the dog could eat this substance again, and he said it isn't worth the risk.