Coyotes and Dogs

brad27

Re: Coyotes and Dogs

Post by brad27 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 pm

That is messed up. Some sportsman you are. I don't care what it is, no animal deserves to be torchered like that. Sick.
Any less sporting to shoot animals out of trees? What about baying dogs? Lurchers? What about animals that wouldn't have lost their lives if the dog you were running didn't find them......................just saying.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 pm

brad27 wrote:
That is messed up. Some sportsman you are. I don't care what it is, no animal deserves to be torchered like that. Sick.
Any less sporting to shoot animals out of trees? What about baying dogs? Lurchers? What about animals that wouldn't have lost their lives if the dog you were running didn't find them......................just saying.
This to me looks on par with dog fighting. It is intentional torture of an animal and the sicko took the time to take a picture. I find it revolting.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 am

When you see a doe blateing while a pack eats her fawn alive, or find a pile of turkey or quail feathers and a nest destroyed it may change your mind. Yotes aren't even indigenous here. They started showing up in the 80s.
Iam not intentionally trying to put my dogs on yotes or anything other fur they happen to chase. If they catch one I just chalk it up as another win for Darwism
You have your opinion and I have mine. They get what they deserve.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 am

They are stretching it out so he can kill it with a knife! Looks pretty gnarly!

You can't pick what a dog does in the field, the animals it chooses to hunt or what it thinks. When those people who want to pick and choose get involved you end up loosing bear hunting with dogs and next will be bird dogs. A lot of young bears and sows will die this year due to the ban on using hounds in California....

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 am

Gertie, Not being familiar with the poster or the specifics of the catch in that picture, I can only assume its not as bad as it looks. Our hounds were usually pretty quick about dispatching a coyote and it didnt take more than a few minutes. Chances are that coyote will die a much more humane deat hthan its prey would have. Before we had livestock dogs, I had a pair of coyotes kill a ewe on pasture and after they hamstringed her they started at the hocks and ate their way forward..... She was Screaming, By the time I got there, there was nothing i could do about it except shoot the slower coyote then shoot the lamb..... Some one has already said it but coyotes get what they have coming most times.

Jim

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:51 am

ultracarry wrote:They are stretching it out so he can kill it with a knife! Looks pretty gnarly!

Chances are they are stretching it because thats what a pack of dogs does...... No reason to paint this picture any worse than it is....

Jim

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 am

I am in the process of buying some land, and was out on it last night doing and "inspection" with the dogs for possible quail infestation. Glad to say there is.

But the dogs and I were going down the south side of the property which has a tree row on it. Indy ran down the line and was working his way back when I saw something behind him and down wind. There were 2 big coyotes trailing him down wind at about 20 or so yards. They were clearly stalking him, and he was not aware of them.

I started calling Indy and Ace in and running at the coyotes. They stopped and look at me as I was running at them, maybe 70 yards away at this point. The did not really show much fear or respect, but did lope off.

Once I own this ground, the coyotes are going to be dealt with. You can't have them not showing fear of people and dogs.

As far as using dogs to take care of coyotes, it will work, but a bullet is quicker. And you don't run the chance of having you dog injured or exposed to disease.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:59 pm

SetterNut wrote:I am in the process of buying some land, and was out on it last night doing and "inspection" with the dogs for possible quail infestation. Glad to say there is.

But the dogs and I were going down the south side of the property which has a tree row on it. Indy ran down the line and was working his way back when I saw something behind him and down wind. There were 2 big coyotes trailing him down wind at about 20 or so yards. They were clearly stalking him, and he was not aware of them.

I started calling Indy and Ace in and running at the coyotes. They stopped and look at me as I was running at them, maybe 70 yards away at this point. The did not really show much fear or respect, but did lope off.

Once I own this ground, the coyotes are going to be dealt with. You can't have them not showing fear of people and dogs.

As far as using dogs to take care of coyotes, it will work, but a bullet is quicker. And you don't run the chance of having you dog injured or exposed to disease.
Good post
After losing my 13 year old male GSP to 2 big yotes about 8 month ago I have no problem dropping a Yote if it is on my hunting ground.
Also if any one who would let their bird dog fight with coyotes had seen the damage they can do in what was less than 15 minutes I belive they would have different thoughts.

Grant

V-John

Post by V-John » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 pm

SetterNut wrote:I am in the process of buying some land, and was out on it last night doing and "inspection" with the dogs for possible quail infestation. Glad to say there is.

Totally agree. Even if your dogs are capable of killing a yote, there is still a chance that your dogs can get hurt severely. No thanks.
And even if most yotes will turn and run, that doesn't guarantee that they will if you turn dogs out on them.

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Gertie wrote:
brad27 wrote:
This to me looks on par with dog fighting. It is intentional torture of an animal and the sicko took the time to take a picture. I find it revolting.
Gertie, that pic doesn't bother me a bit.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:51 am

I have seen a lot of coyotes this season. They look big and healthy in this area.
Its not that I want to kill all the coyotes, but you can't have them stalking your dogs.
They will learn to respect people and dogs, or they will be removed from the gene pool.

Melvin4730

Post by Melvin4730 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 am

We've had coyotes chase our squirrel dogs (feist and curs) back to us with yotes in close pursuit. Had yotes attack a full grown walker hound at the tree at night. We've also had young dogs killed by yotes.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 pm

All the coyotes I have seen in UT, ID, NV and WY are about 20-25 lbs. I cant imagine a 50lb coyote, though I would bet there was something else mixed in!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Elkhunter wrote:All the coyotes I have seen in UT, ID, NV and WY are about 20-25 lbs. I cant imagine a 50lb coyote, though I would bet there was something else mixed in!
I was kind of thinking the same thing but a guess is all it is because I don't know enough about it. I do know however, that around here coyotes are hunted with dogs and I have never heard of it happening the other way around. I don't want to dispute anybody's word but I wonder about some of these stories, as some of them seem like a little bit of a stretch to me and maybe grow a little bit each time they are told. JMO.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:44 pm

birddogger wrote:
Elkhunter wrote:All the coyotes I have seen in UT, ID, NV and WY are about 20-25 lbs. I cant imagine a 50lb coyote, though I would bet there was something else mixed in!
I was kind of thinking the same thing but a guess is all it is because I don't know enough about it. I do know however, that around here coyotes are hunted with dogs and I have never heard of it happening the other way around. I don't want to dispute anybody's word but I wonder about some of these stories, as some of them seem like a little bit of a stretch to me and maybe grow a little bit each time they are told. JMO.

Charlie
That's my experience also.

Ezzy

Melvin4730

Post by Melvin4730 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:56 pm

One might weigh 25-30 pounds....but three yotes that add up to 75 pounds can put a hurting on a dog. A lot of people out west use dogs as decoys to get the coyotes in gun range.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 pm

People use to tell me that coyote hunting was cruel, and before I researched it a bit more I was kind of on the fence about it, but dang, they need to have a serious drop in numbers with feral hogs as well!

Corry

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:59 am

Most of what you find up here ranging from 35 pounds 45 pounds but some to 60 pounds, I know of a couple, one of which I saw, that was 65 pounds. This is in the Moosehead area.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:47 am

Ruffshooter wrote:
Most of what you find up here ranging from 35 pounds 45 pounds but some to 60 pounds, I know of a couple, one of which I saw, that was 65 pounds. This is in the Moosehead area.
I would not be surprised if they are being cross bred with the red wolf or some sort of wolf bred into them.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am

Every coyote that I trapped or shot for the state of California had to be reported with age estimates and actual weight. I had a scale in my truck and we are talking about several hundred coyotes so no stories here just facts. No wolves here either.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVB0FXEfM9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6jX-jSiQrw

Film in México when I was running my pointers . In the first , coyote was tracking my pointer Luna and my Lab was running coyote. Nikon is a big lab and strong, coyotes do not fight him,. In the second I kennel my dog Luna because I was afraid, then I film coyote running , great speed beautiful animals I do not like to kill coyotes.

Melvin4730

Post by Melvin4730 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Coyote Hunting with decoy dogs. You can tell by the video, some of the coyotes are pretty good size.

http://youtu.be/Vu8faSu0Qog

mask

Post by mask » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:47 pm

I have read that coyotes in the northeast have shown wolf dna and that promotes their size, ie 60 plus pounds. I lived in calif in my younger years and never heard of one close to that size while living there. I have trapped and hunted in the pacific northwest for 40 years and have not seen one over 45 pounds and that one was full of beef from a winter killed cow. As to the pic of the dogs on the coyote, that man has some really fine dogs. I kill every rattlesnake and porky I see, if a coyote is a problem of any kind he dies also.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Every coyote that I trapped or shot for the state of California had to be reported with age estimates and actual weight. I had a scale in my truck and we are talking about several hundred coyotes so no stories here just facts. No wolves here either.
Braz, just so there is no misunderstanding, the comment I made about some of the stories was not directed toward you and if you have first hand experience, I have no reason to doubt you. But I do wonder about some of the stories I have read or heard about.

Charlie

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:42 am

birddogger wrote:

Charlie
Having spent a lot of time with Setternut, If Setternut says that two Yotes were stalking his dog, then I believe him.

Melvin4730

Post by Melvin4730 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Here is a little sequence of photo's from a hunting trip to Montana.

Birddog 307

dogman23

Post by dogman23 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:16 pm

I believe yotes will stalk a dog 100%. I had my setter pup out just running a corn field to get her outside and explore. I kept hearing leaves rustle in the woods and I knew a deer wasn't following us. This went on for half an hour and finally I looked in the woods there stood the yote eyeing up my little pup. I hurried up and swooped her up and it was the only time I didn't have some sort of gun on me. Yote lucked out.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Birddog 307 wrote:Here is a little sequence of photo's from a hunting trip to Montana.

Birddog 307
Good looking, well conditioned dog.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Birddog 307 wrote:Here is a little sequence of photo's from a hunting trip to Montana.

Birddog 307
I cannot recall the hunting show, but these photos bring up the inspired question, "If you carried a pistol and encountered this situation what would you do? Put one between the eyes or wait to see what develops?" That is pretty close for my liking...

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:06 am

Birddog 307
Awesome shot's!!! I would have added a 3rd pic of a dead coyote & my dog though!!! :D

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 am

Thats not a 25 pound coyote. While Im sure that the GSP will do just fine, I dont like stitching up my dogs or paying vet bills.

Good looking dog though.

tdbmd

Post by tdbmd » Sat May 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Most every coyote I have seen has been running away, whether by myself or with my dogs. But, I would worry about a pup with coyotes for sure.

Now,one of these WILL take your dog, no matter how big and tough!

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:45 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have had them in the yard and have had the dogs run them out of the fields we are hunting. I have never worried about them but after some of the stories I see I would watch out for small puppies.

Ezzy
This has been my experience as well. I live on ~7 acres and the pasture behind me has a coyote den....the few times the coyotes have wandered onto my property while the dogs were out have been promptly sent packing. This would probably not hold true if my dogs wandered onto the coyotes turf however. A few months back I saw a couple of dogs chasing an antelope buck across that property, once the antelope outran them they turned around and were intercepted by one of the coyotes. It appeared that it was defending its den area and sent both dogs packing with one of them limping (it initially thought the coyote was going to be its new buddy and approached it a bit too close...until the teeth came out!). That being said, I have a 9 week old DD pup that I have no doubt they would snatch if given half a chance....for that reason the only time he is outside without direct supervision is inside a chain link run (with welded wire bottom) surrounded by an electric fence.

I actually appreciate having the coyotes around, even though I have done my share of coyote-hunting/trapping, they keep the rabbit population manageable. They have an added benefit that they keep the cat-owners in the area honest!!! :twisted:

Randy

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:21 pm

That is one of my Britts in the picture not a GSP. Here is the first photo in the sequence that I did not get to post. I have shot 3 or 4 coyotes over the dogs with the shotgun and #6 shot.
Birddog 307

rgsiii

Post by rgsiii » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:49 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Really? Most of yall realize that BIG coyotes are only about 40lbs right? While I understand that a Yote can be pretty ornery I have never seen one that wasn't more interested in putting ground between itself and my dogs.
In SW Louisiana, I shot a female coyote that weighed 48 pounds. I have no idea if she had some Red wolf or dog ancestry.

In Montana, I had a coyote show interest in a setter. Don't know if it was curiosity or if he was viewed as a potential meal.

TXShooter

Post by TXShooter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 am

Where I hunt in SE Kansas coyotes are hunted a lot with greyhounds. The hunters split up in trucks around a section of land and communicate over CB's. The dogs are in a box on the back of a modified flatbed with a seperation in the center. Dogs on each side can stick there heads out to see into the fields. When a coyote is spotted a cord is pulled to release the dogs on the side the coyote is seen. These dogs run down the coyote and kill it quite quickly. Despite all the coyotes that are killed, there are still many in the area.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 am

Get yourself a mangled up Bay dog and let him have a good time. Line your pup and all your buddies pups up likle a grand stand and let them enjoy the show! :D

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:06 pm

A 3 barreled gun is just the ticket....2 shotgun barrels with a 7mm underneath....

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Or just getcha a bigger meaner dog! ;)

Pay no attention to the pink collar... ;)

John S

Post by John S » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:31 am

taxidermy wrote:I had 3 coyotes work my 55lb setter over a few years ago , he was 465 yards from me on the gps .I had to shoot all the shells i had in my pocket to brake the atack off and when the dog came back he was full of blood [front and back], Took him over a year to heel up. When their is more than one coyote they head and heal the dog.
We were pheasant hunting in a big crp field.
Totally off topic but I am wondering why was your dog hunting 465 yards away from you? I may be a bit overprotective but I always have my dog come around if he approaches 100 yards distance.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:26 pm

John S wrote:
taxidermy wrote:I had 3 coyotes work my 55lb setter over a few years ago , he was 465 yards from me on the gps .I had to shoot all the shells i had in my pocket to brake the atack off and when the dog came back he was full of blood [front and back], Took him over a year to heel up. When their is more than one coyote they head and heal the dog.
Totally off topic but I am wondering why was your dog hunting 465 yards away from you? I may be a bit overprotective but I always have my dog come around if he approaches 100 yards distance.
Might be a regional thing since you live in NY and he is from CO....... Different applications

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:50 pm

John S wrote:
I have handled dogs at twice that distance.....What does distance have to do with the discussion?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:55 pm

John S wrote:
Totally off topic but I am wondering why was your dog hunting 465 yards away from you?
Why not?

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:32 am

Be careful I had a 80 pound pit get killed by a pack of yotes...pit latched on to a coyote and the other yotes jumped his him

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:40 am

Elkhunter wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:
I would not be surprised if they are being cross bred with the red wolf or some sort of wolf bred into them.
I happened to see the commercial for this on PBS. It airs tonite, but I think you can watch PBS stuff for free at a later date, on their website.

The story of the mysterious coywolf, a mixture of western coyote and eastern wolf, premieres Wednesday, January 22, 2014, on PBS.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... wolf/8605/

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am

I thought I was going to loose my 16month old male Brit to yotes day before yesterday.
Hunting the mountains here in WNC and he bailed down over a steep bank through a laurel thicket, I had a Alpha dog 100 on him.
At about 260 yards out he stopped moving, about that time my son said "there are some dogs barking over there" and pointed to the right of where my Brit was.
Now we are 3 miles from the forest service gate and no one else was out hunting where we were.
I said" those are not dogs, but are coyotes".
My dog started back according to the alpha and I heard yotes barking from where he was. I laid down on the whistle to recall him and he comes as hard as he can with barking and yipping all around him, the short yip is the coyotes hunting bark as I understand, anyway he is closing on us as I keep up the whistle, and the yipping gets closer as he does. My bitch Brit stayed with me while the male went over the bank and all the time she is whining and pacing back and forth looking at me and down over the bank in the direction of the din, you can't see twenty feet in these thickets.
Anyway the male finally leaps into the road from below it and the yipping stops and we hear the yotes moving away through the dry leaves. My male Britt has a bite on his left front paw and is bleeding. I snap a leash on both dogs and are ready to head out, walking a few paces and my males just falls over on his side. He had ran so had to get away from the yotes he was busted. If he had been farther away he probably would have give out and they would have had him. After a few minutes rest he is ready to walk and we head out toward the truck. We stop at a stream and wash his wound and let the pups drink.
All the way back to the truck we hear the yotes parallel to the road but out of sight.
Long story short, all is well thankfully. I am firmly convinced that the yotes we trying to take his feet out from under him and finish him off.
This is not a tall tale, happened to me On MLK Monday here in WNC.
What concerns me is the fact that they are willing to take down other dogs for a meal, coyotes are opportunist and will take advantage of a meal no matter what it is. Also it appears that our coyotes may have mixed with some of the red wolves that were released around her several years ago. Those are animals you do not want to mess with. I think that may be what some of our bigger coyotes here are is a coyote/wolf mix. Not good for the local animals.
I am currently online shopping for a electronic predator call and a twitching rabbit decoy. You know what I am going to do.
Keep an eye out for them sobs, they will take your dogs if they can get into a position to.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:04 pm

jack the dog,

You dodged a bullet on that one. it's not frequent out here but it is also not uncommon either. Had a couple try to lure off one of my female Britts at Greens Peak last summer. Our coyotes are in the 25 pound range and although we have a population of "Mexican Gray" wolves I have not heard of any outcrosses yet.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Coyotes are the bird hunters best friends, they eat a lot of game bird eating meso predators like coons, possums, snakes ect and run off foxes and they rarely kill game birds.

I like them and love the end of the day in Kansas when they start singing. I've jumped many of them over the last 40 years while bird hunting in Kansas and ND and never had them do anything but run away.

When I was a young guy right out of the army 40 years ago I used to jog with my german shepard in North Texas and two young coyotes would run with us every morning for about a mile they never displayed anything but curiosity.
Last edited by bobman on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Picked up a little 3 barreled gun years ago when I lived in Germany. 20 gauge double barrel on top of an old American cartridge, the 22 Savage Hi Power (basically a 223). Cartridges are cheap and available. Great bird gun with the scope removed ..only weighs 6lb 10oz with 25" barrels.Gotten so I can hit a pie plate free hand at 100 yds pretty consistently.

Killed a few Yotes over the years that have stood their ground or were probably just curious. This one I called end of day with my Fox Pro....sat 200 yds away just watching...while I repositioned and took the shot. 36 lb male in splendid condition...the 75lb Drahthaar looks small because he's in the background. I don't worry that the dog could handle himself with one Yote...but he'd pay a price. With two or more, the dog will lose.