To those living in California

brad27

To those living in California

Post by brad27 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:32 pm

For those of you living in California I have a question for you. Are you writing our elected officials asking them to oppose the anti gun bills currently under consideration? If not, why? Are you like I was, believing one persons voice didn't matter?Maybe you think, like I did, that those in office were too busy to read and or respond to one persons request.
A few months ago I joined the NRA hoping my contribution would make a difference. Two weeks ago I wrote my elected officials telling them how I felt about the current legislation under consideration. I didn't know if they would even read what I had written. A few days ago I got two responses from two senators thanking me for writing them, one an email, one a hand written letter letting me know and I quote " I will always work to protect your second amendment rights. It's an honor to serve you."
Again I ask, are you writing your elected officials asking them to oppose current anti gun legislation? If not, why?

For those of you not in California I ask the same question to you.

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: To those living in California

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:09 pm

I lived in CA for a few years and found it to be a beautiful country conveniently located to the United States. Does it require a Passport to go there now days? :mrgreen:

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Great post! Its time to stand and be herd

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Yes and no.... I'm not in California, but I do make calls and send letters. Even got to visit D.C. for work (for Pheasants Forever/Quail Forever) on CRP and wildlife issues a few years back. I do make calls and I do send emails when an issue is important to me. I do a lot of writing and talking to folks about CRP and Farm Bill issues. If it's habitat related for wildlife, count me in. I do believe in our 2nd amendment rights as well and will speak when my legislators need the input. It takes so little time out of the day to make the phone call - about 4 minutes total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Don't live in California but, no...too busy, however I have written concerning the poor management of our NFs, especially as it applies to living up to harvest agreements and a healthy % of early successional.
My daughter and SIL live in California and I seriously doubt that they have written re gun issues either, for much the same reason.
Plus, hopefully they will soon be moving.
There were several hoops she had to jump through to bring in her handgun.....got it done with no issues though.
I quit the NRA a good while ago, the first time was long about when the jack-booted thug comment was made.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:50 pm

I should have been more clear. For those of you not in California, are you doing what you can in your state to keep your second amendment right?

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:30 pm

If Colorado couldn't do anything about it, well... fat chance Cali. :roll:

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:03 pm

On a serious note, the National Forest Service is getting more progressive left every day. Getting "Special Permits" is virtually impossible with out major Draconian strings tied to them. Our local FS requires "certified weed free" hay and also requires the Trialers to haul out all the horse manure "certified". It's crazy and getting worse. I have recently met and organization who is successfully fighting and winning with the Forrest Service. Their Rep will travel to speak at Clubs and different Sportsman organizations. http://www.cmlua.com/Contact_Us.html Take a look at this link, I think it can help a lot of us.

I apologize if you think I am stealing the thread but I think it relates as it is another example of Government overreach.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:23 pm

isonychia wrote:If Colorado couldn't do anything about it, well... fat chance Cali. :roll:
What did you do to try and stop those laws from passing? Nothing? If so, that was the whole purpose if this thread, to get people to act.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:12 pm

brad27 wrote:
isonychia wrote:If Colorado couldn't do anything about it, well... fat chance Cali. :roll:
What did you do to try and stop those laws from passing? Nothing? If so, that was the whole purpose if this thread, to get people to act.
Exactly!! We can make a difference but standing by and doing nothing will cause us to lose it all, and becoming a NRA member is the best place to start. There is power in numbers and you can keep abreast of everything the anti gunners are up to and bills that are being proposed. Then you can begin writing and/or calling your representitives. With people doing this and the NRA never giving up against the constant assault on our constitutional rights, we are making a difference every day. We lose some battles but we win a lot of them. Please, don't ever think that there is nothing you can do!!!

Charlie

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:04 pm

birddogger wrote:
brad27 wrote:
Exactly!! We can make a difference but standing by and doing nothing will cause us to lose it all, and becoming a NRA member is the best place to start. There is power in numbers and you can keep abreast of everything the anti gunners are up to and bills that are being proposed. Then you can begin writing and/or calling your representitives. With people doing this and the NRA never giving up against the constant assault on our constitutional rights, we are making a difference every day. We lose some battles but we win a lot of them. Please, don't ever think that there is nothing you can do!!!

Charlie

I signed a petition to recall our local rep, McLachlan, which failed by 2,000 signatures, I also sent him a letter after Biden had a pow wow with him and convinced him (the state's "swing" vote) to vote for stronger gun control measures. No more 15 rd + mags, and we have to pay for our own bkgrnd checks@! This is from a representative that had a campaign based on protecting our 2nd Amendment rights. So I say again, good luck Cali, if the front range can skew the real Colorado, then surely you will have quite the fight! But I do sincerely wish you the best of luck, not being able to buy 22lrs or the gun I was saving up for due to shortages from the gun scare has me ercked to say the least. At least I got my Benelli Montefeltro that no longer comes with a D-shim to make the drop fit my shooting style :evil: Speaking of which, I may be trying to sell it and just get myself a 20 gauge 870, or wait, is that legal still????

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:01 pm

I signed a petition to recall our local rep, McLachlan, which failed by 2,000 signatures, I also sent him a letter after Biden had a pow wow with him and convinced him (the state's "swing" vote) to vote for stronger gun control measures. No more 15 rd + mags, and we have to pay for our own bkgrnd checks@! This is from a representative that had a campaign based on protecting our 2nd Amendment rights. So I say again, good luck Cali, if the front range can skew the real Colorado, then surely you will have quite the fight! But I do sincerely wish you the best of luck, not being able to buy 22lrs or the gun I was saving up for due to shortages from the gun scare has me ercked to say the least. At least I got my Benelli Montefeltro that no longer comes with a D-shim to make the drop fit my shooting style Speaking of which, I may be trying to sell it and just get myself a 20 gauge 870, or wait, is that legal still????
I hear ya isonychia and I understand your attitude.....You guys really got burned out there but the people in every state still need to keep up the fight and I am happy to hear that you did your part.

Good luck in the future,
Charlie

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:34 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I lived in CA for a few years and found it to be a beautiful country conveniently located to the United States. Does it require a Passport to go there now days? :mrgreen:
No, not yet. But it helps to speak the language. :D :cry:

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:11 am

I've written to Brown and others on recent legislation. It didn't change the outcome, but I'm still of the opinion that it should be done.

With more generations being born by the millions and sheltered in cities, and exposed to leftwing views, it's inevitable that the millions of lefties in the cities rule the states and country. Where I work is a real melting pot of cultures. We have people, highly educated people, from all over the world working here. Real contributors to the economy. But they bring with them some pretty astounding political views relating to freedoms.

I've been giving some thought to moving from CA when I retire in 5-6 yrs. But, other priorities like taking care of our elderly parents may keep that from happening. They haven't taken away the guns I hunt with and I can still travel out of state to hunt for now.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:13 am

roaniecowpony wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I lived in CA for a few years and found it to be a beautiful country conveniently located to the United States. Does it require a Passport to go there now days? :mrgreen:
No, not yet. But it helps to speak the language. :D :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:04 pm

brad27 wrote:
Many of us in Colorado wrote, called and emailed to no avail. The state senate president told the senators NOT to read their mail and messages "they would only be upset by them". County sheriffs from all over the state attended the senate on the day the bills were to be discussed and voted upon... they were purposely ignored and not allowed to speak.

We attempted to recall our slimeball traitor state representative... we did not get enough signatures. Instead of being contrite that his constituents were upset, he figures that he now has a mandate that he did "the right thing"

I second the statement "fat chance Cali". I personally am offended by your assumption that we did nothing... this was forced down our throats by suburban Denver and the lawmakers elected by suburban Denver. 54 of the 62 sheriffs in Colorado + others of us are still fighting it in court.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:37 pm

brad27 wrote:I should have been more clear. For those of you not in California, are you doing what you can in your state to keep your second amendment right?
Yes, and we finally passed concealed carry! Not a great bill but a foot in the door so to say. Contact my reps as much as I can. Just had a mag bill squashed. I'm very strong on my second amendment right. Oh how I hate Illinois politics. Well more like Chilinois politics. :evil:

I also stand for every state I contact dc now and then on big bills that affect our rights. We all must stand United for our rights. And if your an Obama supporter I'm sorry but that man has got to go, does more harm to us then good.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:24 am

I think if AZ Politicians started screwing with 2nd Amendment rights we would find them hanging from a tree in the Prescott Town Square. :twisted: Just kidding!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:37 pm

I personally am offended by your assumption that we did nothing..
My comment was made to one person after their post seemed to imply we Californians shouldn't even try.

I second the statement "fat chance Cali"
Thanks for your support.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 pm

If AB711 passes it will be illegal to use lead based ammo for hunting ALL animals statewide in Cali.

Good Luck

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:If AB711 passes it will be illegal to use lead based ammo for hunting ALL animals statewide in Cali.

Good Luck
Which sucks for me because I use a SxS made in 1936 and can't put non lead ammo through it. Maybe I should send the bill for the new shotgun I'm going to have to buy to the state? :lol:

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Brad, get an inexpensive reloader and you can load stuff like Tungsten Matrix. Cheaper than a new gun.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 pm

It would be a full time job if someone in Cali responded by letter or phone to every gun or hunting legislative activity that they propose. I dont even live there anymore but on top of the alert that I posted above, I just got another one that will be heard on 6/11 that would further restrict "private" handgun sales to those that are already on the Department of Justice List.

John S

Post by John S » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:03 am

Better to go down fighting than to go down whimpering.......

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:37 am

John S wrote:
Better to go down fighting than to go down whimpering.......
The only problem with that is that writing letters or making phone calls is not "fighting" when it comes to the laws in Cali......Its "whimpering"....

Unless you are left wing that is.....

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:10 am

heck- I live in Utah and wrote Colorado legislators- but it's true- Denver won this------- a lot of Calif people have moved in over the years.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 pm

UglyD wrote:heck- I live in Utah and wrote Colorado legislators- but it's true- Denver won this------- a lot of Calif people have moved in over the years.
Someone forgot to shut the gate in the mid 90's. Unfortunately Colorado seems to be on the same track as California in many respects. While it is well worth the fight; the influx of liberal legislation, increase in non-hunting and non gun owning voters seems inevitable here in the Centennial state.

I quail hunted in California this winter for the last time, and can understand the proposed hunting ban of non resident hunters in Colorado.

Nate

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Well it looks like at least one proposed bill just got suspended. AB 711, which bans using lead ammo for hunting, was sent to the Suspense File by the Senate appropriations committee. Apparently this presents a major hurdle according to the California Rifle and Pistol Association.

Unfortunately like most "anti" bills something similar will be proposed again and again, year after year, until it finally passes. That's probably the most frustrating thing about these bills; they never really die. The other frustrating part is the legislature continuing to bypass/circumvent the state fish and game commission to make anti-hunting law.