Coyotes and Dogs

pkbirdog

Coyotes and Dogs

Post by pkbirdog » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

I was running my pup this evening and about 15 minutes into it I noticed a coyote about 200 yards in front of us. Normally when I see coyotes the are running away as fast as they can, but this one was just kinda hanging out, keeping his distance. It didn't seem too worried about us. I did an about face started working pup in the other direction. A couple of coyotes started barking and howling when we started towards the car. Should I be worried about my pup with these coyotes. I have heard it said that coyotes will try and get your dogs out and attack and kill them.

Should I be worried? Pup heard the barking but didn't really care.

Paul

Double Shot Banks

Re: Coyotes and Dogs

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm

keep the dog away from them, but if you saw a coyote during the day not leaving its probably sick, and it wont go near a human, unless its sick, so stay away from it unless its where you live you should be fine unless you keep seeing it.
if its near your home, shoot it
Isaac and Banks

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 pm

I worked for a pest control company as a depredation trapper and I got a call one day from a homeowner explaining that his dog was attacked by a coyote. This would normally mean drop what your doing and go find this yote immediately but upon questioning, the dog owner told me that he released his pit bull to take care of his problem. To make a long story short, the pit had to go to the vet for many stitches. Most yotes are timid, weak and will run away as fast as possible but when you run into one that's standing it's ground, don't under estimate it. It's standing it's ground because it's confident and un-afraid of what's approaching or it sees a meal coming right at it. Shoot it.

pkbirdog

Post by pkbirdog » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks guys. I definitely see some coyote hunting in my near future. Its a really good spot to run the pup.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 pm

I worry about that alot where I live. I've seen a coyote on the edge of my yard eye balling my beagle once a few years ago in broad daylight. A couple months ago one was standing at the edge of the yard eye balling my wifes little ankle biter around midnight. I always go out with the spot light at night when I let my pointer pups out to do their business and keep my shotgun by the door. I've seen them enough around close to the house without being to scared that I carry my AR with me when I take the pups on walks out in my pastures.

It takes a heck of a dog or dogs to kill a coyote. Pitbull or not. As you know a wild animal has a survival instinct like no other.

I would be concerned. Coyotes around urban semi built up areas are very accustomed to people and dogs and may not show much fear at all yet they are still a very wild animal looking for a meal.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:keep the dog away from them, but if you saw a coyote during the day not leaving its probably sick, and it wont go near a human, unless its sick, so stay away from it unless its where you live you should be fine unless you keep seeing it.
Isaac and Banks
I run in the hills and see many coyotes and bob cats that aren't afraid when they see you and will hang out just off the trail and watch, until you throw a rock at it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm

I have had them in the yard and have had the dogs run them out of the fields we are hunting. I have never worried about them but after some of the stories I see I would watch out for small puppies.

Ezzy

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 pm

We have a good number of coyotes around. I actually had to use the e-collar to break my dogs from chasing them. I've never had one attack any of my gsp sized dogs. I have had neighbors lose many lap dogs and cats to them. Usually all that's left is the spine. I also had a neighbor lose a pit bull pup. As coyote populations have grown they have gottem more and more brave. I even see them in the city limits at times now. I would be concerned about a single pup especially if it's still small running into coyotes. One of my favorite things to do is to carry an AR when I'm bushhogging. They started following the tractor last year catching the rats and rabbits. They catch on quick when I start shooting....

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 pm

I know this a little different but it is a strange story. I got a call about a female jogger who was running on a wilderness trail in southern Cali when "something" jumped out and bit her leg. She started beating it with her first but the animal simply latched onto her arm and she couldn't Get it off so she walked over a mile with this creature latched onto her arm. When she got to her car, she opened the trunk and slammed it on the animal repeatedly until it released and she locked it in the trunk. I was called to the hospital where she went to get treatment so that I could take care of the problem in her trunk. Ready for this???????? It was a Fox and it wasn't rabid. Don't fear wild animals but don't try to trust or predict them either.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 am

A women just last week had her dog snatched off a well used trail just outside of neighboring homes here in Salt Lake. It was a single coyote that took it. They only found the dogs sweater, hours later. Hunting sage grouse one time years ago with my friends wirehair bitch, she disappeared for a spell and eventually came running in as fast as she could with one hot on her heels. And, this November a friends red setter was coming in hard with a coyote closing in on her before it saw him and turned away. I am always watching for them and I would be very careful running pups in areas where they live.

Steve

Mstng_ray

Post by Mstng_ray » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 am

We have been having a lot of coyote attacks on pets here in reno nv. I even chased one around my neighborhood for about 20 min. I have seen more yotes in town than out in the hills. And I have warned all my neighbors to becareful while walking their dogs.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:18 am

I see coyotes all the time. Never had a problem. Not saying something couldn't happen but I sure wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 am

We just moved to 10 acres and I saw some coyote prints on the other side of my backyard fence last week. Pretty sure they were coyote prints as they matched perfectly what I found online, didn't match my dogs', and the spot I found them would be an awfully difficult place for a neighbor's dog to just wander into.
So, I have a 357 in a drawer by the back door, and am about to invest in something with a bit more long-range accuracy. I hear a 17HMR is a good gun for this purpose.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 am

During our ND hunt this year, we pushed 8 coyote out of various cover and saw 4 more from the truck. They all ran at top speed. My little 20 gauge drilling has a 223 under...I've killed 2 coyote over the past 8 years...they made the mistake of stopping to look back inside 100 yds. Most of the time my freehand shot just splashes the dirt.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 am

Double Shot Banks wrote:keep the dog away from them, but if you saw a coyote during the day not leaving its probably sick, and it wont go near a human, unless its sick, so stay away from it unless its where you live you should be fine unless you keep seeing it.
Isaac and Banks
Coyotes are getting more and more brazin about what and where they are. They probably are not sick. Just hungry. But still stay away as suggested. Although a good sized strong aggressive dog may hold is own there is no chance with a pack.
So yes stay vigilant and do not wait for them to size up your pup or dog. Do what you need to do to send them on there way to the woods or dirt.

I have seen the results of an afgan/ deer hound cross thats job was running down coyotes as part of a pack got fighting with one and the 35lb coyote broke the jaw of the Hound. This was in KS.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:15 am

phermes1 wrote:We just moved to 10 acres and I saw some coyote prints on the other side of my backyard fence last week. Pretty sure they were coyote prints as they matched perfectly what I found online, didn't match my dogs', and the spot I found them would be an awfully difficult place for a neighbor's dog to just wander into.
So, I have a 357 in a drawer by the back door, and am about to invest in something with a bit more long-range accuracy. I hear a 17HMR is a good gun for this purpose.
Make sure what the laws are about discharging a fire arm near a neighbor. We have to be 100 yards from a dwelling. And I am in the country on 34 acres. But here (kind of silly) you can discharge from in your dwelling with in 100 yards of your neighbor. :roll:

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 am

Have had the dogs run them before, so I've had to shock them off of them. I've had a coyote cross within twenty yards of me, in front me while being chased. They still have the fear of man, thank God, but I'm sure I'm going to continue to keep that fear in them.
Had a friend lose a real nice red setter to coyotes.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:58 am

Coyote eyeing my hound when he was a pup. Definitely had a meal on it's mind at the time

Mstng_ray

Post by Mstng_ray » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 am

That's why I hunt them every chance I get. They don't have to be sick to charge you or your dog. They slip into our neighborhoods at night looking for easy meals ( cats& dogs). And I'm talking deep in town several miles from the desert.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Ruffshooter wrote: Make sure what the laws are about discharging a fire arm near a neighbor. We have to be 100 yards from a dwelling. And I am in the country on 34 acres. But here (kind of silly) you can discharge from in your dwelling with in 100 yards of your neighbor. :roll:
Good point, I'll check it out, but i'm pretty sure I'm OK. If nothing else - if I see a coyote or something else on my property that I consider a threat, I'll be begging forgiveness rather than asking permission.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:52 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Coyote eyeing my hound when he was a pup. Definitely had a meal on it's mind at the time

The ones I have seen that looked like that were contemplating whether they needed to run or not. Let the dogs or you turn towards them and they are gone. But I would watch small puppies even though I have nver seen an aggresive yote.

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Not good advice. Please don't turn your dogs toward A coyote like that. Especially over the next several months when they have pups in the den. Males defend a territory around the den to protect the pups from other predators. They can and will stand their ground if they perceive a dog as a threat. I can't believe a Brittany guy would recommend or try that himself. Those rabbits wouldn't stand a chance against a strong Alpha male.

We had a coyote try to drag a 6yr old kid out of a park in a densely populated town. If it weren't for a brave Nanny who chased it and kicked it till it let go, that kid was going to be puppy chow.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:42 pm

I carry buck shot and a few slugs in my vest. every yote i see gets a round shot at it just for general purposes.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:56 pm

deke wrote:I carry buck shot and a few slugs in my vest. every yote i see gets a round shot at it just for general purposes.
I thought about it as well. It's illegal to do that I'm mn though.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 pm

With coyote mating season coming up I had been wondering if my boy will run off a search for one if he smells one in heat.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

I have whacked 2 in my backyard this year within 30' of the house. Not long ago on a trip to Northern Nevada I had 1 follow the dogs in to me, the coyote paid no attention to the horses or to me pulling out the shotgun out of the scabbard, he got both barrels with some #5's. I now carry some buckshot just in case.

gregm

Post by gregm » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Do the fawns and the nesting birds a big favor and shoot all you can!!!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Not good advice. Please don't turn your dogs toward A coyote like that. Especially over the next several months when they have pups in the den. Males defend a territory around the den to protect the pups from other predators. They can and will stand their ground if they perceive a dog as a threat. I can't believe a Brittany guy would recommend or try that himself. Those rabbits wouldn't stand a chance against a strong Alpha male.

We had a coyote try to drag a 6yr old kid out of a park in a densely populated town. If it weren't for a brave Nanny who chased it and kicked it till it let go, that kid was going to be puppy chow.
I have never met an Alpha male I guess. The only yotes I have seen are very shy, cunning, and secretive animals. We use to hunt them with dogs when I was out west but around here you have to try and call them to get near them. Fun to hunt. I got one with a slug last month while deer hunting with a slug gun. Was a good sized male for a yote but rather small when compared to a dog. Didn't weigh it but it was around 25 pounds or so. Really nice pelt for a yote. I thik we have a couple at the farm that may be a little bigger but you just can't get close to them. I have pictures of deer running from them and also deer chasing them. The does with fawns shy away whenever you see one come into the open field. The neighbor has a GSP and a Jack Russell that give them fits when the GSP is turned lose.

I did not advocate sending the dogs after a yote but they have jumped them many times when hunting. I just said that when I have seen a yote eyeing the dogs he is trying to make up his mind if he should run or not. But I also would watch out for young puppies if they are out running in the fields after hearing the storues I have heard. Just makes sense,especially when food is short.

Ezzy

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm

aulrich wrote:With coyote mating season coming up I had been wondering if my boy will run off a search for one if he smells one in heat.
Don't think for a second that he won't if given the chance. A friend of mine back in OK had a couple of wolf crosses that ran his farm that he bought years ago. Within two years the neighbors were complaining about how big the yotes have gotten. They were starting to take down young calves by themselves. So, some had been shot. and they were definitely not pure yote. He then had neighbors pointing fingers at him. They was a little wolf in the gene pool.

Joe

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:13 pm

And since coyotes are monogamous, the male will defend the female from other coyotes which means he would do the same against dogs.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Really? Most of yall realize that BIG coyotes are only about 40lbs right? While I understand that a Yote can be pretty ornery I have never seen one that wasn't more interested in putting ground between itself and my dogs. Maybe it is a little different here because the yotes are constantly being harrassed but they dont want anything to do with people or dogs. I have bumped several with both my pointing dogs and my lab and they never so much as looked back.

Heck dont you know that these versatiles are bred to tackle bears and boars? :roll: I guess its only the pointer and setter guys who should be worried. :lol:
Jim

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Jim, please go back and read my post about the Pit Bull that got torn up by one or the one that tried to drag a kid out of the park. Granted being a trapper I get these insane calls that most never hear about and Southern Calofornia has the biggest problem and yes they normally run but I don't want my 45lb GSP to catch it.

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:36 pm

I had 3 coyotes work my 55lb setter over a few years ago , he was 465 yards from me on the gps .I had to shoot all the shells i had in my pocket to brake the atack off and when the dog came back he was full of blood [front and back], Took him over a year to heel up. When their is more than one coyote they head and heal the dog.
We were pheasant hunting in a big crp field.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Really? Most of yall realize that BIG coyotes are only about 40lbs right
There are many recorded kills on coyote over 50 lbs...I personally have seen dead coyote in a freezer confirmed ay 54,56 and 64 lbs. That's here in the east. I think 40lbs would probably be a good sized coyote in the west.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 pm

I have trapped males over 50lbs. In California.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 pm

DogNewbie It is not legal here technically either, but that is because of the lead on walk in areas. I carry two rounds of buckshot in my left back pocket and two slugs in my right. Never had a game warden search my pockets.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote: Heck dont you know that these versatiles are bred to tackle bears and boars? :roll: I guess its only the pointer and setter guys who should be worried. :lol:
Jim
your exactly right :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 pm

JKP wrote:
Really? Most of yall realize that BIG coyotes are only about 40lbs right
There are many recorded kills on coyote over 50 lbs...I personally have seen dead coyote in a freezer confirmed ay 54,56 and 64 lbs. That's here in the east. I think 40lbs would probably be a good sized coyote in the west.
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I have trapped males over 50lbs. In California.
There are many recorded kills of coyotes over 50lbs this does not make the average coyote 50 lbs. The average coyote is far smaller than 50lbs. They do tend to be larger in the NE but those aren't the same coyotes the majority of the rest of the country has.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Jim, please go back and read my post about the Pit Bull that got torn up by one or the one that tried to drag a kid out of the park. Granted being a trapper I get these insane calls that most never hear about and Southern Calofornia has the biggest problem and yes they normally run but I don't want my 45lb GSP to catch it.
Look guy..... I spent several years chasing coyotes with hounds and just like you have a story about a pit bull getting ripped up by a yote I can tell stories about a 20lb feist dog we used to use to drag coyotes out of culverts and tree tops that worked a few over alone on open ground. But that's not my point. My point is that of the dozens of non hound, dog encounters ive had with coyotes i have never seen a coyote take time to turn and fight and have never seen a coyote target a dog even close to its own size. While I know that everyone has a cousin or buddy who has had a dog attacked or killed I just don't put coyotes very high on my list of dog related concerns. I feel like people give coyotes way too much credit, and while on occasion something off the wall might happen you can do a 5min search on the inter web and find "proof" of anything you want. I'm out......

Jim

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm

My dogs have killed several in Montana and The Dakotas. They don't put up much of a fight. Just defend themselves by laying on their back and snapping. I have a 45 lb bitch who has killed two by herself. I hate when that happens because it is pretty scary. She has never got a mark on her. Mostly they just out run the dogs. I don't know about the more urban ones. they have probably lost some of their fear of humans and dogs. A lot of the eastern ones are crossed with domestic dogs and I understand they are quite dangerous. Don't know, never met one, but the western wild ones don't amount to much. Cj

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Last edited by taxidermy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm

My experience with Yotes here in Illinois has been the same as Ezzy's and Jim's.

Charlie

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 pm

My dogs have killed quite a few over the years. They generally wont chase one more than a hundred yards or so, but every now and then one will hit a culvert or try to hide under a blow down or something. I ve seen a 20lb Jag go in a den and kill 3. alot of folks here still hunt yotes and fox with hounds, so that kind of keeps them in check .

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Let the dogs or you turn towards them and they are gone.
Yep, Wiley didn't see me at first but once he did it was adios

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:22 pm

I live in the north east, there are some bigger ones but they still go the other way when they see the dogs or I. There were a few in my town not long ago, lap dog got attacked, one circled a woman and her lap dog and 40lb over weight pet beagle until the beagle put the run to it. And one was seen eating a fawn near someones backyard. Entire town was in utter panic. They shot the yote eating the deer, picture in the paper made it look 70lbs. My brother was there and got some photos and figured it may have been 40lbs tops.
I haven't heard of any of the bird dog guys around here having any trouble with them, except a fella in Maine who's pointer bitch was attacked while on a tie out, but was able to fight them off.

I can't really see one going against a dog near it's size unless totally desperate. You guys talk about their survival instinct, that doesn't sound like a good survival instinct. Coyote get's hurt and it very well could be the end of it.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Jimbo, I understand completely what your saying which is why I mentioned California as having the most attacks on pets and people in the country. They get urbanized and desperate. I wasn't trying to discredit anyones experience.'i was only relating mine as a depredation trapper in California who has had to call many people after finding collars in or around coyote dens. Some of those collars belonged to good sized dogs. I didn't respond to your post by starting with "Look Dude" I used part of your name so show the same respect and don't flame fires. We can all discuss our experiences. Maybe you know dogs better and your coyotes are different but here, I wouldn't have had a job if they didn't kill thousands of pets every year.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:00 pm

I think we can all agree on, that any wild animal that becomes "urbanized" will lose some of it's fear of man. That goes from yotes to gators.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Tyler, your right and that's why SoCal has the most aggressive yotes. The treehuggers here leave food water and Fido out for them. The worst ones are the loaners who are kicked out of the night packs due to weakness or conflicts. Don't even try to keep an indoor/ outdoor cat here.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm

Winchey wrote:I live in the north east, there are some bigger ones but they still go the other way when they see the dogs or I. There were a few in my town not long ago, lap dog got attacked, one circled a woman and her lap dog and 40lb over weight pet beagle until the beagle put the run to it. And one was seen eating a fawn near someones backyard. Entire town was in utter panic. They shot the yote eating the deer, picture in the paper made it look 70lbs. My brother was there and got some photos and figured it may have been 40lbs tops.
I haven't heard of any of the bird dog guys around here having any trouble with them, except a fella in Maine who's pointer bitch was attacked while on a tie out, but was able to fight them off.

I can't really see one going against a dog near it's size unless totally desperate. You guys talk about their survival instinct, that doesn't sound like a good survival instinct. Coyote get's hurt and it very well could be the end of it.
I'm with you, up here in the north east they can get pretty big but are scared to death of humans. I think part of the reason is because they are hunted pretty hard up where I live, several big coyote contests & things like that. Plus our deer population has gone down the crapper so every avid deer hunter around hunts or traps them in the winter, I know I never let one walk if I'm armed.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Tyler S wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote: Heck dont you know that these versatiles are bred to tackle bears and boars? :roll: I guess its only the pointer and setter guys who should be worried. :lol:
Jim
your exactly right :lol:

That is messed up. Some sportsman you are. I don't care what it is, no animal deserves to be tortured like that. Sick.
Last edited by Gertie on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.