Flea and Tick preventative

dwilson

Flea and Tick preventative

Post by dwilson » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:27 pm

What is everyone using for F&T this year? For the last 5 years I have used k9 advantix but noticed a large number of attached ticks that needed to be removed over last year even after a fairly fresh dose without being bathed or swimming. What I was doing with it was buying the dosage that covered double the dog's weight and then splitting the dose 50/50 to get 2 months out of 1 package. This had always worked in the past just fine.

So anyway, what is everyone using? Our dogs are in the house with my family so not too interested in something super smelly or something too out in the open like a collar.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Flea and Tick preventative

Post by mcbosco » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Regular Frontline is what I use, not Plus. I haven't noticed Frontline becoming less effective but both these products have to be used every month to be effective against ticks, and ticks are light in the summer here, at least they have been, so I don't use it every month.

People seem happy with both products in my area.

If you going to be out in an area that is heavy with fleas and ticks, spray the dog down with good quality apple cider vinegar diluted 50/50. It doesn't last long but fleas & ticks don't like acid and stay away. Shines them up and deodorizes too.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Anyone tried this alternative to spot on's or collars: http://www.thesafepetshop.com/

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:37 am

We've always used K9 Advantix, esp since our dog is running in the woods every day here in FL.That being said, has anyone used Biospot? Is it as good as the K9 Advantix? Just wondering, because the Advantix is really getting up there in price. The last placed I ordered it from for a 6 month supply is out of Manitoba & it still wound up being about $59 including s/h.

FWIW, Frontline is not being used much down here as it's supposedly not as effective. <shrug>
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:51 am

I know that I've seen vets draw a dose of flea preventative from a large bottle into a syringe. Anyone know where you can get a large generic bottle of the active ingredient in frontline, fipronil? I've read that it (fipronil) is also one of the main pesticides now used by exterminators for termites and ants. Seems like there'd be some outlet for us to save some dough.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:22 am

I like the novation flea and tick collars, I have also used frontline in the past with good results.

Petra

Post by Petra » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:49 pm

I have been doing alot of reading on flea and tick control, I am going to use frontline spot on, a web site cheapfrontline.com, sells the ingredient for alot less, I will be continueing to do my research, and will let you know if I find anything to know and the web site.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:32 pm

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 pm

DO NOT use Biospot! It nearly killed one of my dogs and made another lay around and not be able to run for days. I was trying to save a buck. I'm still trying to save a buck, but not on those products. I buy the 89-123 # frontline plus. Then inset a sringe in the tip and withdraw 1/3. One vile lasts 3 months. After I draw out a dose I seal the neddle puncture with a dab of silcone. WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

HouseCallVetNY

Post by HouseCallVetNY » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:10 pm

While you can use regular Frontline (not Plus) because it is much cheaper since you can buy it in liter bottles, it just IS NOT as good as Frontline Plus. It ONLY kills adult fleas so it will keep the dog happy but there is no effectiveness against infesting homes/kennels. This may not be overly important for outdoor dogs but for those who sleep in bed with their owners, do not scrimp on the Frontline Plus!

One thing you may see is that Frontline Plus is still allowing ticks to attach because it does not kill them for several hours (up to 24). If Lyme, Ehrlichiosis or Anaplasmosis (all transmitted by ticks) are prevalent where you are, consider using a Preventic Collar, which kills ticks immediately upon biting and makes it nearly impossible for the tick to transmit a disease. The problem is it does not take care of fleas so you still need to do either Frontline Plus OR Revolution. I prefer Revolution as together with a Preventic Collar you are getting much more well rounded care (not only fleas and ticks but heartworm disease, mange and intestinal parasites). You can't get better than that! BUT ASK YOUR VET PRIOR TO INSTITUTING THE ABOVE (which you will have to anyway as Revolution is a prescription item).

NOTE: A PREVENTIC COLLAR is a SPECIFIC BRAND of collar-NOT just any collar sold over the counter! It is THE ONLY collar I would EVER recommend as it is extremely effective yet safe if used properly. And its cheap at about $15-25 and lasts for 3 months. Good Luck!

Friend us on Facebook (All Pets Vet Housecalls) and follow us on Twitter (HouseCallVetNY) and check us out at www.AllPetsVeterinaryHomeCare.com! Thanks!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:35 am

I use Advantix. My experience with Frontline has been less than desirable.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 am

using friontline plus and preventic collars on my outside dogs. still finding some ticks, attached, but no engorged ones, so they arent staying attached for long. ticks are BAD this year seems like. i am constantly finding them crawling up my pants leg and crawling around on the kids, too, after we have been outside.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:22 am

Ticks are a losing battle it seems...bring on the guineafowl!!!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 am

mcbosco wrote:Ticks are a losing battle it seems...bring on the guineafowl!!!
believe me, the thought has crossed my mind many times!! however, our neighbor had them growing up and i absolutely HATE them! so far my frustration with the ticks hasnt surpassed my loathing for the guineas.

one of the funniest things i ever saw was my brother get flogged by one of the neighbors guineas when he got too close to the nest (they would come over to the farm and nest in the road bank). dont think i have ever seen him so POed. he grabbed a cattle stick and ended that things life with one swing (he played baseball) when it came after him again!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:00 pm

they are bold birds, loud too

caleb

Post by caleb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 am

I just got three months worth of Frontline Plus from my vet on Monday. Given the price ($47 or so, if I remember correctly), cheapfrontlineplus.com looks like a deal. Does anyone here know if it's legit? Buying meds over the internet seems sketchy to me, but would imagine the FDA would have shut it down if it was a rip off (perhaps I have too much faith in the FDA).

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 am

Save your money and get regular Frontline..Frontline Plus is for a current infestation, it kills eggs & larvae, which should NOT be there if you use Frontline. Check prices from Dr Foster & Smith.

Petra

Post by Petra » Fri May 14, 2010 12:59 pm

the ingredient in the plus kills the stage of the flea that bites for the blood that is why it has to get into the blood to be effective, if a dog is healthy and kept clean there should not be a problem with fleas. It is the ticks that I worry about with the diseases and possible death caused by what they are caring. and I agree with the dosage statement be careful with any drug topical or ingested that is purchased in large quantity. The ticks are really bad this year!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Frontline plus always works good for our dogs. We make sure we apply it a couple of days before they hit the woods . We will also add a tick collar called "Preventic". For best results make sure it doesn't get wet and is kept close too the neck, but not tight . It can be pruchased through your vets office without a prescription. Ask about the guarantee on it if your not happy with the results.
Elizabeth

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon May 17, 2010 6:26 pm

I used Vectra 3D this spring and have been pleased with it.Ive always used front line but past few years it didnt seem to work as well.

jcbjr

Post by jcbjr » Tue May 18, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm having pretty good luck with Vectra 3D. If ticks are really bad, add a Preventic collar (trim extra collar and put on pretty tight; oral ingestion =sick dog!). I've had BAD (and numerous) toxic reactions with Promeris; I'd avoid that product. Also heard good things about Comfortis, but it's $$ and just for fleas, plus it's systemic (absorbed from gut and distributed via blood stream), which just kinda bothers me.

Good luck!............Jim B., DVM

P.S.: there is no silver bullet; just be persistent and DON'T STOP TOO EARLY IN THE YEAR!!! Also, don't wait too late to start , as playing catch up is several X harder that preventing. Fall is the WORST time in GA, and I usually continue thru November, start in March. Florida is year 'round.............JB

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed May 19, 2010 7:49 am

Anyone have information on Revolution?

Apparently it's for fleas, ticks & heartworm. But it's only available through a vet.
=SubMariner=

jbo

Post by jbo » Thu May 27, 2010 1:45 pm

SubMariner wrote:Anyone have information on Revolution?

Apparently it's for fleas, ticks & heartworm. But it's only available through a vet.

I am interested in this as well, my vet recommended it but I don't know anyone using it currently. Anyone around here using it?

jcbjr

Post by jcbjr » Thu May 27, 2010 5:41 pm

I thought Revolution would be the bomb for just about all parasites, but was disappointed with it and sent back my unsold order just a couple months after getting it. Seemed to do well for HW, but not for fleas It would work for about 2 1/2 weeks on average, then kinda peter out. Also seemed a bit slower to get on board. I have found, however, that different products seem to work differently with different flea populations; ask folks around you whose dogs have severe flea exposure what works for them. I monitor client response every year, plus watch my dogs closely, and change when what I'm using starts to fall off in effectiveness.
Good luck!.............JB, DVM

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 pm

jcbjr wrote:I thought Revolution would be the bomb for just about all parasites, but was disappointed with it and sent back my unsold order just a couple months after getting it. Seemed to do well for HW, but not for fleas It would work for about 2 1/2 weeks on average, then kinda peter out. Also seemed a bit slower to get on board. I have found, however, that different products seem to work differently with different flea populations; ask folks around you whose dogs have severe flea exposure what works for them. I monitor client response every year, plus watch my dogs closely, and change when what I'm using starts to fall off in effectiveness.
Good luck!.............JB, DVM
This is VERY good to know! Where do you live? Down here in FL fleas, ticks, & HW is basically a year-long battle.
=SubMariner=

jbo

Post by jbo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:39 am

Can the Vectra 3D be used in conjunction with heartguard?

Thanks

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:37 pm

jbo wrote:Can the Vectra 3D be used in conjunction with heartguard?

Thanks
I use it with ivermectrin .

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

I have been using Bio-Spot and have had good results with it. I have seen some people warning not to use it because it can be toxic to dogs.

I have been using it for about two years on 4 dogs. Three dogs dont seem to mind it being applied but one dog hates it being applied but does not seem to have any side effects or anything.

Has anyone had this problem?

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:22 pm

Was talking to my vet and he said he likes to rotate products every so often and is currently reccomending promeris (sp?) The first I heard of it was from someone that used it for demodex on a young pup. I asked my vet if it was overkill for fleas and ticks and he said no. Any of our resident experts have an opinion or experience with this product?

http://www.promeris.com/
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:21 am

Are there any minimum age restrictions on these products? IE, how old should my puppy be before I can put this stuff on her?

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 pm

We are using Vectra 3d and it has proven totally effective so far. I didn't believe the mosquito repellant but haven't seen a mosquito on the dog while I'm getting eaten alive........I wonder if people can take this stuff???????? LOL

jcbjr

Post by jcbjr » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:54 pm

I have used Vectra 3D safely with all HW preventatives. Only one reaction so far, a mild skin reaction on a pup. Georgia Boy, I really have had a lot of serious systemic reactions with Promeris; if the dog gets the smallest amount in his mouth, they get anywhere from lethargic to pretty darn sick; had to hospitalize 2 dogs. Wasn't that great on the bugs, either.
someone asked where I live: on the far northern fringes of Atlanta.

Jim B. DVM
PS: there is a comprehensive parasite program done thru vets by Road Runner Pharmacy out of Arizona, a compounding pharmacy. They beat the crap out of the online pet medicine places price wise. You can get a years worth of HWP (ivermectin), plus lufenuron, the "flea birth control" in Sentinel, plus mebendizole, pyrantel, and even praziquantal for tapeworms. It gets hooks, rounds, whips, tapes, and HW, plus augmenting your flea control. A years supply should go for 60-90 bucks. I know that doesn't help you multi dog guys much, but for fewer dogs, it's easy, safe, dependable, and guaranteed. Not all vets offer it, so ask. You order and pay at the vet, and RR ships directly to you , 2 day express. It's in capsule form. This stuff gets just about all worms, and you don't have to become a pharmacist to get a break on price. My 3 setters are going on it soon as they achieve adult weight; 'nuff said? You can't cut out that greedy ol' vet totally, but it's a good combination of cheaper, easy, and dependable.
Compounding can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing; miscalculations, bad reactions with diluants, uneven mixing, etc. I use Ivomec for lots of things; I like it 'cause it's a solution, easy to work with. However, I wouldn't push the dose too far, too often, as bad things have been known to happen............JB