Concealed carry

Bluesky2012

Concealed carry

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:02 am

Anyone know much about getting a concealed carry permit? I am from Alabama, but live in virginia because I'm in the marine corps and am looking at getting my permit but not sure where and how to do it. I know there are states you can apply for as an out of state resident but not sure which one is the best deal.

-Jordan

Vision

Re: Concealed carry

Post by Vision » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 am

Why would you want to put yourself on a Government data base list?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 am

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 am

Wait till your home on leave and go to your county courthouse and apply. They will run a basic background check and then call you to come pick your permit up. Usually 1-3 days. Pay your 5-15 bucks and your set. It's good for a year. Don't let it expire or you will have to wait for the check again. You may can get your sheriffs department to mail you an application since your in the service. Be shur that the states you will be in honor the permit.

Whereabouts in AL you from?

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 am

Vision wrote:Why would you want to put yourself on a Government data base list?
The Government knows more about you than you do already. LOL

I know what your saying though.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 am

duckn66 wrote:
The Government knows more about you than you do already. LOL

I know what your saying though.
:lol: the op being in the Marine Corps... He's already in the data base. I got out in 93. iam positive iam still in there too!

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 am

Look up Sharpshooters in Lorton. They have classes set up all the time, its 4 hours or so during the week. Paperwork takes 6-8 wks normally to get your permit back from clerk of court.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 am

If you have a SSN you're on a govn't database.

Bluesky2012

Concealed carry

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:59 am

It doesn't matter if you believe in the government being able to enforce gun restrictions, the fact of the matter is that if you get pulled over with a concealed weapon and don't have a permit, you are going to be in a heap of trouble. I'm not afraid of them showing up at my house in the middle of the night to take my guns. Simply having my name in a permit registry wouldn't prevent the government from knowing anything else about me. So thank you for y'all's advice. I'm originally from outside Birmingham. Great area. Miss it. Virginia just isn't home.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 am

Need to check laws.
Here we need to do a CCC Concealed carry class. Laws and liabilities and such. In fact had a brain farrrrrt last year and for got to renew. Because it was so many months ago, I need to do the class again. I am scheduled for this Thurs to do the Maine one and the Utah one.

Thanks for your service.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:21 pm

you need to go to the local law enforcement and ask them. There are certain states, utah that I know of, that their conceal carry permits are recognized in 34 states. I would start there. you will have to get a few permits if you plan to travel and carry in other states. I paid $55 for mine. Not sure if that is a standard fee or local fee. I also know that some places require you to sit in a classroom. Sometimes, a letter from your command can waive that process, again check with either the police dept or sheriffs dept.

rgsiii

Post by rgsiii » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:36 pm

Being military, you may have different requirements than civilians. In some state, you do not have to take courses, I do not know if this is the case in Virginia.

One app on my iPhone showed that Alabama had reciprocity with Virginia and another showed it did not.

The Alabama concealed carry license is very easy to obtain. When I had one, no testing was needed, easy as pie in Autauga and Cullman counties.

Would do some investigation into what is needed in both states for active military and how the reciprocity would work--this can change on short notice.

rufuslatke

Post by rufuslatke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:04 pm

No course needed in VA since you are in the military. It's as easy as filling out a form and dropping it off at the local courthouse.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 am

Tyler S wrote:Wait till your home on leave and go to your county courthouse and apply. They will run a basic background check and then call you to come pick your permit up. Usually 1-3 days. Pay your 5-15 bucks and your set. It's good for a year. Don't let it expire or you will have to wait for the check again. You may can get your sheriffs department to mail you an application since your in the service. Be shur that the states you will be in honor the permit.

Whereabouts in AL you from?

good advice.i think they give discount for vets too like hunting/fishing licenses.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 pm

I have heard if you are active millatary, you just have to apply, no class required.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Tyler S wrote:Wait till your home on leave and go to your county courthouse and apply. They will run a basic background check and then call you to come pick your permit up. Usually 1-3 days. Pay your 5-15 bucks and your set. It's good for a year. Don't let it expire or you will have to wait for the check again. You may can get your sheriffs department to mail you an application since your in the service. Be shur that the states you will be in honor the permit.
Tyler - that 1 to 3 day period you are talking about is for a permit to PURCHASE, not CARRY. The Carry permit takes up to 30 days to process and is good for 5yrs in most states.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:Anyone know much about getting a concealed carry permit? I am from Alabama, but live in virginia because I'm in the marine corps and am looking at getting my permit but not sure where and how to do it. I know there are states you can apply for as an out of state resident but not sure which one is the best deal.

-Jordan

Utah is the best deal and then Florida for out of state. Utah covers 36 -40 states I believe. Then when you get home get your home state ccw as well.

Look up Utah ccw classes in your area. The class is 4 hours then you send in your finger prints for background and 63 days later receive your card. Utah is standard on 63 days. No more no less. License is $55 for five years. If you combined Florida and Utah covers 49 States. Florida is $105 for 5 years. 4hours Utah class and range shoot for Florida. Got both of mine the same day. Can't carry here in Illinois but use it for travel. Which I do a lot of.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:18 pm

You might not need Florida though. With the Utah and Alabama you might be able to cover more States with just them two. You would have to check out the reciprocity map for Alabama to see exactly what States it covers and com pair it to Utah.

Check out usacarry.com for reciprocity maps.

rgsiii

Post by rgsiii » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:27 pm

JakeDD wrote:
Tyler - that 1 to 3 day period you are talking about is for a permit to PURCHASE, not CARRY. The Carry permit takes up to 30 days to process and is good for 5yrs in most states.
When I was an Alabama resident, it was just a few days to get a permit and IIRC was good for one year. The time period might be different in a county like Jefferson.

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:31 pm

I just took my safety class on Sunday so that I could submit paper work to get my CCW. Went to the state patrol to give them my application and proof of my 5 hour class and I did not have the right birth certificate, need the raised emblem and signature, I had just a copy from the hospital so the hour drive to the State patrol office was a waste. Returned home and ordered a birth certificate now I have to wait another couple days before I can submit my info. From what I am hearing its at least 45 day wait. This is NE, class cost me $90 and permit will be $100.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 pm

permits in pa are 20 dollars for 5 years.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm

JakeDD wrote:
Nope. Thats for carry. No waiting period for a handgun either.... Gotta love Alabama!

Some counties it will take you a little longer to get your cc, but I know of no mandatory classes or anything, if your a woman in a rural county you most likely will get your permit the same day.. If not on the spot, that's a fact I've seen it several times.

rgsiii

Post by rgsiii » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Tyler S wrote: Nope. Thats for carry. No waiting period for a handgun either.... Gotta love Alabama!
As is said in Alabama----Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere :D

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:48 am

rgsiii wrote:
Tyler S wrote: Nope. Thats for carry. No waiting period for a handgun either.... Gotta love Alabama!
Or Fac ut gaudeam..... :lol:

rgsiii

Post by rgsiii » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:22 am

Tyler S wrote:
rgsiii wrote:
Or Fac ut gaudeam..... :lol:
I did hear that more than,"We dare defend our rights."

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Way to post then read.

Don't you thnk that as a member of the military he is already on a few of those. This site needs a facepalm smiley.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Alabama carry permit is honored in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire,
North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming. Good for one year and costs $15.00. If you are a senior citizen cost is $5.00.

smittty

Post by smittty » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Unless you are in politics or LEO there is no such permit in jersey where i am from .. OH wait i almost forgot the bad guys also are allowed to carry

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 am

Their is an ex CIA agent offering online courses in VA.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:27 am

Have a hunting license? Your in the data base.....

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:31 am

OHIO
Persons wishing to obtain a Concealed Carry Weapons Permit must do the following:

Complete twelve hours of weapons proficiency training given by instructors that are certified by the National Rifle Association or the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy to teach firearms training.
Obtain a CCW Application Form and the Ohio Concealed Carry Law Pamphlet prepared by the Ohio Attorney General's Office. You can obtain the needed forms at the Geauga County Sheriff's Office, on line at www.ag.state.oh.us, or where you received your weapons training.
You need a completed application form, one (1) current passport size photo, copy of your training certificate, State ID with photo or Ohio drivers' license, and $67.00 cash, money order, or personal check. No business checks accepted.

Derrick

Post by Derrick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 am

Wow, its a lot easier in Alabama to get one than here in Michigan. It is the same here for Veterans or not, even when I was still in the service I would had to have gone through the same process, I just waited until I was out to obtain my CPL.

Its 120 bucks for the REQUIRED, ALL DAY class here. You show up at 8 am and dont leave until 5 pm. You got through everything and then go shoot some paper, then you take that certificate to the county clerk and they run a back ground check, oh I forgot to mention, when you take your certificate to the county clerk you also need to bring 105 bucks to just apply for it, non refundable so if you get turned down, there goes your money. But why would you even take the class if you had a felony in the first place? and knew you would get turned down? haha. Then you wait a month to get a letter in the mail saying when you have to go in front of the sheriffs board and the county Sheriff tells you whether you are approved or not and they hand you your license. The fastest you can possibly go through the process would be a couple months.

I dont ask for any special treatment ever being a Vet. But I think its kind of crazy how they make us go through their "training" on how to properly operate a pistol when many of us carried one frequently during our service. Although there is a few states that dont require them too, Florida being one of them.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:08 pm

Do military personel have to get their CO's permission to get a CCW? I recall a friend, many many years ago, had to get his CO's permission to ride dirt bikes on his time off.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:45 am

Gotta love Washington, I walked into the county sheriff's office, tell the lady I need to get my concealed carry permit, I fill out a piece of paper, she reads it over. " alright sir looks like your fingerprints are already in the system" that will be 55 dollars, your permit should arrive in the mail in two weeks.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:31 am

Here are 2 good resources for state laws and CCW reciprocity ... the interactive map is nice. Get your home state + non-res Utah and you can carry in most states...at least the ones that are gun friendly.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Just openj carry in the states that deem in legal and dont worry about it. I do in KS all the time and never had to pay a dime. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine