Ca SB 1221 a bill to ban hunting bobcats and bears with dogs

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Ca SB 1221 a bill to ban hunting bobcats and bears with dogs

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm

From AKC Government Relations
Dear AKC Delegates and Club Officers,
Please forward this to your club members in California.
Senate Bill 1221, which will prohibit using dogs in the pursuit of a bear or bobcat, is scheduled to be heard by the Senate Appropriations Committee on Monday, May 7th. The American Kennel Club joins other sportsmen’s organizations in expressing concerns that enactment of SB 1221 would set a precedent for outlawing others forms of hunting with dogs. We encourage responsible dog owners who enjoy engaging in sporting activities with their dogs to contact their State Senators and ask them to oppose SB 1221.
Please note that the Appropriation Committee is specifically charged with assessing how legislation will affect the state financially; via impact to the state budget or in a loss of revenue. For this reason, we encourage you to explain how passage of SB 1221 could alter your plans to compete in field trials, hunt tests or engage in other sporting activities in California.
AKC’s letter to the Senate Appropriations Committee is attached for your reference.
Senate Appropriations Committee
Date: Monday, May 7th
Time: 11:00 AM
Sacramento, CA 95814
What You Can Do:
• Contact your representative in the State Senate and ask him or her to support responsible sportsmen by voting against SB 1221. Click here to find out who represents you in the State Senate.
• If you are unable to attend the hearing, we encourage you to contact the members of the Senate Appropriations Committee to express your opposition and ask that they support responsible sportsmen by voting against SB 1221.
Members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee
Senator Christine Kehoe, Chair
State Capitol, Room 5050 Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 651-4039
Fax: (916) 327-2188
Email: senator.kehoe@sen.ca.gov

Senator Mimi Walters, Vice-Chair
Phone: (916) 651-4033
Fax: (916) 445-9754
Email: Senator.Walters@senate.ca.gov
Senator Elaine Alquist
Phone: (916) 651-4013
Fax: (916) 324-0283
Email: Senator.Alquist@senate.ca.gov
Senator Bob Dutton
Phone: (916) 651-4031
Fax: (916) 327-2272
Email: Senator.Dutton@senate.ca.gov
Senator Bill Emmerson
Phone: (916) 651-4037
Fax: (916) 327-2187
Email: Senator.Emmerson@senate.ca.gov
Senator Ted Lieu
Phone: (916) 651-4028
Fax: (916) 323-6056
Email: Senator.Lieu@senate.ca.gov
Senator Curren Price
Phone: (916) 651-4026
Fax: (916) 445-8899
Email: Senator.Price@senate.ca.gov
Senator Darrell Steinberg
Phone: (916) 651-4006
Fax: (916) 323-2263
Email: Senator.Steinberg@senate.ca.gov

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: Ca SB 1221 a bill to ban hunting bobcats and bears with dogs

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 pm

My letter to my representative and the committee, I will go to the hearing as well. I urge all in California to send a note as well.
Ms. Kehoe and Members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee,

As a lifelong resident in Placer County please note my objection to Senate Bill 1221. I come from a heritage that cherishes the outdoors and it is clear to me that those who understand a respect the “circle of life” are a diminishing force that brings much needed balance to a culture that is faltering. Leaders are ill-advised to use emotional rhetoric in forcing an agenda that lacks scientific basis and does little more than add to the suffocating fat of bureaucracy. This agenda is anything but enlightened, those who stand with it cannot, or refuse to acknowledge the inarguable natural instinct of humans as predators and the equally natural and functional partnership with canines in the pursuit of food; one of the essential and basic functions of both species.

I do hope we understand the importance of applying civilization in moderation. The categorical repression of hunting, fishing, farming and countless other activities that collide in the relationship between the raw human and his or her planet and resources is one of the cornerstones in the palace of bureaucracy that is hated by the constituents standing outside its walls and looking in. Our leaders must stop fooling themselves by presenting one piece of their conglomeration at a time, and in this case eliciting emotion by presenting the distasteful extremes to those who have as much right to not participate and view the activity; as those who choose to engage: If this is added to the pile of other useless laws it will all have the same numbing effect on the populace and the cause will be forgotten or indiscernible as it was baseless clear back at conception. It will only be further wasted time and money and those who voted for will be looked upon the same as those who voted against.

The quest for Utopia and pandering to special interests and their shameless use of this emotional rhetoric cheapens our culture and the country it was founded in daily. Those in government see their participation as service while those outside the process lash out and frame it, and those within it, as something far less flattering. The reason for that is that the long term prospects for success in our government strategy for several decades has been largely seen as unsuccessful, no matter how your politics flow. This bill is useless, it regulates a tiny portion of the populace but has a basis for huge impact on a much larger portion later, every working dog owner I know is concerned. This is an opportunity to base a decision on common sense and reverse the trend of toxic bureaucracy that makes our people, society and culture weaker.

I am a tax paying citizen and I oppose this bill based on common sense, the Constitution, and a plausible theory on how the repression of this lifestyle is degrading the social structure rapidly. Should none of that resonate, I urge the committee and the Senate to see that they are attempting to alter the fulfillment of a number of the basic human needs by passing more laws, and eventually that will serve to create irreversible conflict that will be our collective undoing.

Respectfully submitted,

Joe Gower

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:00 pm

a good response by AKC...
April 30, 2012
Senator Christine Kehoe
Chair, Senate Appropriations Committee
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814
Re: Oppose Senate Bill 1221
Dear Madam Chair,
The American Kennel Club writes today on behalf of thousands of responsible dog owners and sportsmen in
California to oppose Senate Bill 1221 which will prohibit using dogs in the pursuit of a bear or bobcat. The
California Department of Fish and Game studied this issue several times and concluded that there is no basis
for restricting hunting in this manner. We ask that you support responsible sportsmen by opposing this
measure.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) was established in 1884 to promote the study, breeding, exhibiting, and
advancement of purebred dogs. We now represent over 5,000 dog clubs nationally, including 471 clubs in
California. In 2011, AKC sanctioned over 250 performance events in California¾including hunt tests and
field trials¾in which over 13,000 dogs participated. Based on surveys of participant spending including
lodging, food and equipment AKC estimates that these events generate more than $4.2 million dollars for the
host communities. The nature of these events dictates that they are held in rural areas which likely have fewer
opportunities to attract tourism dollars. Support of SB 1221 will indicate that responsible sportsmen who
utilize dogs in accordance with current law are no longer considered desirable by California communities.
The sponsors of SB 1221 have stated that they believe the use of dogs to pursue game is “inhumane and
unsporting.” We have serious concerns that enactment of SB 1221 would set a precedent for outlawing others
forms of hunting with dogs. Responsible and ethical hunters respect regulations, and season limits and pay
license fees and federal excise taxes. These monies are the primary vehicle by which conservation efforts,
which benefit all wildlife and California citizens, are funded.
Historical evidence suggests that humans have been hunting with dogs for thousands of years. Today’s
sportsmen invest time and money to train and breed dogs to fulfill the original purposes of the breed: to pursue
and retrieve game. These activities assist wildlife management officials and enhance the bond between
humans and canines. For these reasons, the American Kennel Club asks you to stand with responsible
sportsmen and oppose SB 1221.
Sincerely,
Sheila Goffe
Director, AKC Government Relations
Cc: Members of the Senate Appropriations Committee

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Joe,

That was a beautiful piece of writing. I wonder if one may too easily over-estimate comprehension skills of some elected officials. I'm told when one is uncertain of the skill level of the reader, messages written at the eighth grade level are recommended. :wink:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue May 01, 2012 8:03 pm

BigShooter wrote:Joe,

That was a beautiful piece of writing. I wonder if one may too easily over-estimate comprehension skills of some elected officials. I'm told when one is uncertain of the skill level of the reader, messages written at the eighth grade level are recommended. :wink:
That was written at an 8th grade level. :(

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 pm

nikegundog wrote:
BigShooter wrote:Joe,

That was written at an 8th grade level. :(
Bingo! :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 am

This just passed the CA SAC and is headed for the full Senate.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:05 pm

our wonderful governor just signed this into law. They will try for our bird dogs next.
Take Care
Pete