Iowa's Land & Water Legacy

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Iowa's Land & Water Legacy

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:38 am

If you're voting tomorrow (and I hope you are :)), please don't forget to vote YES on question #1. It's a win/win for anyone that loves the outdoors and wants to protect the ecosystem we rely on. It is NOT a vote that will solicit additional taxes--please read the FAQ sheet for details. Spread the word!

http://www.iowaswaterandlandlegacy.org/home.aspx

myerstenn

Re: Iowa's Land & Water Legacy

Post by myerstenn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:47 am

Just for thre record it will be funded from a raise in future sales taxes so it will cost us all money. that being said I voted for it

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Iowa's Land & Water Legacy

Post by wems2371 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 pm

myerstenn wrote:Just for thre record it will be funded from a raise in future sales taxes so it will cost us all money. that being said I voted for it
I surely don't want to pay any more tax. :cry: But IMO, a future sales tax will happen regardless of the existence of this amendment, and I don't believe a sales tax increase will happen solely because of the approval of the amendment. If taxes are inevitable, it would at least be nice to see some money come our way, as in benefiting the outdoorsman. Being that we rate 49th in the nation regarding public land set aside for wildlife habitat and 47th in conservation funding...we need all the help we can get IMO. Is it the best route, to have to get funding that way? I don't know...but it seems like all that's been put on the table.

Q: Is this a tax increase?

A: No. Voting for Iowa’s Water and Land Legacy Amendment is a vote to create the Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund. The amendment does not include a tax increase. Trust Fund revenue will come from allocating 3/8 of one percent from sales tax revenue the next time the Iowa Legislature approves a sales tax increase. This amendment simply creates the trust fund to ensure Iowa’s natural resources are protected for future generations if the sales tax is increased at some point down the road.