OREGON anti-dog breeder law

rockllews

OREGON anti-dog breeder law

Post by rockllews » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:06 am

The typical anti-dog breeder law in Oregon- I wish I'd have found it sooner... but it snuck by all the sites I watch that provide such Legislative Alerts. :evil: I don't know when this is being reviewed, there's one date Jan 30.

Either way, if you live in Oregon, please write or call our representatives! Click here to write to them: http://www.leg.state.or.us/writelegsltr/

House Bill 2470:
http://landru.leg.state.or.us/09reg/mea ... intro.html

I'll try to find the decision.

Thanks.

rockllews

Re: OREGON anti-dog breeder law

Post by rockllews » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:09 am

:evil: :evil:
1-29(H) First reading. Referred to Speaker's desk.
2-3 Referred to Consumer Protection.
2-23 Public Hearing held.

I found this bill just days too late. If anyone knows the outcome or attended the public hearing, I'd appreciate knowing how this turned out.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:31 am

I hate these because it's a give an inch give a mile proposal. This law passes and then there are 10 more right behind it. I didn't study it to much, but for a first glance it seems to be directed at stopping puppy mills, which we all know is a good thing. How many responsible breeders own more then 25 intact dogs for breeding purposes. I guess the trick is the "circumstances" to have more then 10 intact dogs for breeding. That one is the little kicker that most people will look over, and probably make it difficult for breeders, but 10 is still ALOT of dogs. If the bill passes and come times to vote I'll vote "NO" because I hate giving animal rights any momentum, but if it's voted in I won't lose any sleep.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:12 pm

Prohibits owning, possessing, controlling or having charge of
more than 25 sexually intact dogs aged four months or older.

'Pet dealer' means a person that during a 12-month
period sells, offers for sale, barters or exchanges more than the
greater of:
(A) Twenty dogs; or
(B) Three litters of dogs.
(b) 'Pet dealer' does not mean an animal control agency, humane
society or animal shelter.

I totally agree all these laws are 'give an inch, they'll go a mile' type, especially in these times. I know a handful of breeders who maintain such a number of dogs yet produce less than four litters a year. Sure, they might be a minority.... 25 is such an arbitrary number.

Not an argument, but an example.... It doesn't take much for a breeder (responsible breeders, too) to acquire 25 dogs... say 3 studs, 10 bitches, 7 prospects, and a handful of older pups that haven't sold yet or are just being started/finished. I guess I'm of the mindset that the number of dogs has nothing to do with the quality of care. A person could have nice facilities and employees, trainers, etc and breed very scrupulously for improvement... putting a limit on dogs in the pool will dampen any major efforts to create and maintain a long-term breeding program. A person with four female dogs might produce more pups a year by breeding every cycle, yet they would not be under the some of the husbandry provisions of bills like this because they have less than 10 intact dogs over the age of four months.

On Edit: also, notice the first provision I pasted above- "possessing, controlling, having charge of": I assume but may be wrong that this could be applied to dogs in a kennel for training??? I'm not sure on the wording because surely the trainer/owner of the kennel would have "possession" and "charge of" the dog under his responsibility at the kennel. If I misunderstand this definition let me know. If I'm right, imagine how this would impact that magical 25 number.

The good news? A) We would get to vote if it made it that far, B)I see some loopholes, and C) I can always move. :D

We'll see what happens with this eventually I suppose.