Out of bird dogs --RIP

deseeker

Out of bird dogs --RIP

Post by deseeker » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:38 pm

penny5 in ND.jpg
penny5 rez limit.jpg
After puting my 15 year old SH(Shooter) down 4 months ago, and puting my 10 year old MH(Star) down 2 months ago, I just had to put my 12 year old MH(Penny5) down last Tuesday---I'm now out bird dogs. It's been a rough 4 months for me :( , but I have a lot of great hunting memories to remember my dogs by. I'm too old to get another one, so I'll just tag along and enjoy my hunting buddies dogs this Fall. :D This Fall will be my first year since 1974 without a hunting dog :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dakotazeb

Re: Out of bird dogs --RIP

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:02 pm

That's certainly been a tough stretch for you. My thoughts and condolences are with you. Are you sure you're too old to get another dog? Maybe find a 4-5 year old that needs to be re-homed. I think as we age the question of when are we too old to get another dog comes up. I got my last one when I as 70 and she is now 5. Probably be my last one assuming she lives another 5-7 years.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:27 pm

Sad to hear. Those were some nice dogs you have had.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:25 am

Very sorry to hear. Tuff run for sure. You will have some great memories of these fine friends. My condolences.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:54 am

A pup can make a old dog young again!

Sorry for your losses,best of luck in the future.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:11 pm

Very sorry to hear that deseeker. You've had a hard couple of months. I'm old and have health problems so I also can't start with a new pup ; I wouldn't be able to to give it the attention it would need. I'm going to rescue an older dog when that time comes.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:10 pm

That’s a tough year. I’m trying to do the math, still young enough for three, but too old for one more? Can’t wait to see the new puppy pictures after this Fall. :wink:
Last edited by Garrison on Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:42 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. I am 79 and looking for another pup. Love the challenge and feel I have at least one more in me.

ash

Post by ash » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:21 pm

sorry for your loss. that must be a hard time for you.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:44 pm

Sorry for your losses. That's been a few tough months.

Have 2 gsp's and have one ordered. There is going to be a litter sired by Jacob vd westwind. Can't wait. I'm 65 and we'll have to wait and see if it's my last.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Sorry to hear about that. I went 6 mos when my old Springer, Skipper, died. Looked at litter's all over and couldn't find him, devastating! So once I realized I was only looking for him, I got a shorthair, my old Hannah! Never got under two dogs again and tried for six years difference in them. Got my Sis hoping to out live her by one day. When, if, I make 85 she'll be 12 yrs. Can't stand the idea of not having any dog but also don't want to leave an old dog behind to anyone that really doesn't understand. I live to much past 85 think I'll go to a shelter and get an old dog there for company!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:20 pm

Well said Don. I'm in the same boat. I'm 75 and have my last dog now I think. If this one lives to 12 , I'd be 80 looking for a new dog; as I also have Parkinson's disease , it wouldn't be fair to a new dog. Getting old $%^&*(
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:52 pm

Putting aside serious health problems which may preclude you from having any dog, it is worth noting that real dog guys like all dogs--- not just bird dogs -- and that there is more to dog training and dog sports than bird hunting. Maybe you can't hike the fields anymore, but getting into a different type of dog training with a different type of dog will expand your mind enormously and is a lot of fun as well. If bird hunting is impossible, learning new stuff is genuinely worthwhile and serious obedience work is extremely interesting and yields a wonderful house dog and companion.

As an aside, I have written into my will a certain amount of money for the specific purpose of maintenance and care of any dog I may leave behind at my passing. If something happens, I don't want my dogs have to rely on luck and I don't want others to make a decision as to whether to spend for my dog. He has his own money.
Last edited by Steve007 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:37 pm

Good idea. I have a JRT now and he definitely "expands my mind enormously" :)