A final goodbye to the first gun dog I have ever had.

GSP 4 me

A final goodbye to the first gun dog I have ever had.

Post by GSP 4 me » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:41 am

10 years ago this month, I took one of the biggest risks in adopting a 2yr old GSP from a shelter. My wife and I mulled over getting a dog for well over a year prior to this. My 1st choice was a GSP, but my wife was reluctant as she heard several stories about their high energy levels and the crazy things that can happen if they don't have an outlet for it.

One day, I went searching online and found a GSP at a local shelter. He had the white and liver coat coloration I wanted and then I couldn't believe my eyes. The dog was named Mustang! My wife didn't believe me until she saw the dog's profile herself. I'm a huge Ford Mustang fan and collected several of them over the years.

The next morning we were at the shelter and took him home. I loved bird hunting, but it was mostly relegated to doves since I didn't have a dog. My new dog was going to hopefully provide more bird hunting opportunities. My primary concern was that he was gun shy and given up by a disappointed hunter, but then again we lived in the SF Bay Area and not South Dakota.

To my relief, he wasn't gun shy at all when I took him around to a local skeet shooting range...game on!! He had strong prey drive, was very birdie and he had an endless supply of energy. He was my companion first and hunting partner second. We hunted pheasant, quail and doves. What an amazing nose!!!

I learned very quickly just how affectionate he was too. He would rest his head on my lap, then bring up a paw, then the other and before you know it, he was using me as his dog bed.

5 years later my son was born and then my daughter 2 years later. Mustang never showed any aggression towards them. He did however start showing signs of aging from his dog park activities of chasing the ball and fracturing his front wrist bones. We would religiously take walks together and the dove hunts continued. Over the next few years arthritis was setting in and he would take more naps.

I was on the fence about taking him dove hunting this past Sept., but I figured even just morning hunts would be something he would love. We had a wonderful time.

Fast forward to last week and my concerns about his health and sporadic eating triggered a phone call and visit to the vet. He was lethargic, eating his food one day and then not eat again until the following day when all appeared to be fine.

X-Rays and bloodwork revealed an issue. His chest x-Rays were fine with a perfect heart, but the abdominal x-rays were difficult to view because of some abdominal fluid. He was very sick and they recommended hospitalization at another urgent care facilty where an abdominal tap could be done and immediate surgery if necessary.

The immediate trip to urgent care began the nightmare of what no dog owner wants to hear. The abdominal tap revealed the fluid in his abdomin was blood. An ultrasound of the area was poor, but the vet thought he might have a mass on his spleen and if surgery was to be an option, she recommended a catscan sooner rather than later. Their tech made an emergency return to work since it was already after hours.

I was summoned by the vet to sit down as she explained the catscan results. Mustang had masses on his liver and spleen. Based on the spread of the masses it was highly likey that they were cancerous. The masses on his liver were bleeding. There was nothing that could be done. The discovery was textbook of his symptoms. He would bleed, become anemic, clot up and reabsorb the blood, feel better and the cycle would repeat. They released him to me and gave me some Chinese herbal meds to give him orally that would help him with the clotting. Unfortunately, he could perish at any moment if he was unable to clot.

Mustang had a terrible night Tuesday. He wouldn't eat and collapsed twice when he tried to get up. I stayed with him the entire night and could see how tough this was on him. He didn't deserve to go through this. I decided this was enough and set up a home appointment to have him put down. A few friends came by to pay their last respects before the Vets arrived to euthanize him. He had already recovered from his previous episode and he was his prefect self. He was greeting everyone with that little tootsie roll tail of his and leaned up against them. I hadn't seen him this happy in a long while.

I held him face to face as he took his last breath and told him we would see each other again someday. I told him there would be plenty of doves for him to chase around but they might all be colored white where he was going. I had 10 wonderful years with him, but I still feel cheated that it was too soon. I will have many great stories to tell the kids or future grandkids about him. I truly think devine intervention had a role in how I came across finding him and I will miss him terribly. The grieving process hasn't been easy, but I knew that someday I would have to pay the price for that unconditional love that only a dog can bring.

A huge thank you to all the forum members that helped me with my questions since my very first post on here. You've been a tremendous wealth of information, support and encouragement. I couldn't have asked for a nicer group.
Last edited by GSP 4 me on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: A final goodbye to the first gun dog I have ever had.

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:45 am

God Bless as you grieve but remember all of the great times Mustang afforded you and how grateful he was as he showed by being "YOURS". Your post says so much about you both.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Up North

Post by Up North » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:12 pm

You gave him a great life! Sorry for your loss.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Thank You for all the heartfelt replies.

Ezzy, you've been a cornerstone to this forum and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:15 pm

This made me tear up to read. I'm so, so sorry. It sounds like you two had a great life together. Hugs and peace to you.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Sorry for your loss. It's always such a tough time.
But the first ten years of your story is one tremendous success story. I bet in his eyes he ended up with a dream home.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm sorry for your loss.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Sorry for your loss. Just try to remember the good times you and your dog had together. You rescued that dog and gave him a great life. Be proud of that. I know it's tough, I just lost my dog to a spinal mass and she was only 8, I'm tearing up just typing this post. Been in this position before and time will heal but hard to understand that right now. Take care my friend and God's speed.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:58 am

Sorry for your loss. As others have stated it's hard for me to see the key's on the keyboard this morning. It sounds like your family and mustang were destined to be together and you gave him a great life.

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Sorry for your loss, I still grieve for my lost hunting dogs

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:41 pm

I am so sorry. As you say, we know up front we will have to say goodbye too soon, but heartbreaking still. Godspeed to him and and some small peace to you with the memories and the love he left behind with you and your family.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:00 pm

It sounds like you and Mustang gave each other great lives. You did right by him from the day your brought him home until the day you let him go. Sorry for your loss bud.