Dexter: he left us far to early

dasfzero

Dexter: he left us far to early

Post by dasfzero » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:11 pm

I lost my 1 1/2 yr old gsp dexter on memorial day. I have never been so sad in my life. I had him on his e-collar when he took off after a deer and was struck by a motorcycle... I did everything i could to save him. I raced him to the hospital running read lights and doing 100+mph. Unfortunately his internal injuries were to much to overcome. :(

Dexter was an amazing dog! Extremely intelligent, full of love, an amazing personality, and my best friend. He taught himself how to open the door to let himself inside so I taught him to close the door. (perfect for those winter days you didnt want to get out from under the blanket!)

I built him a casket to be buried in. I made it with tongue and grove corners so it all fit together perfectly. We stained the wood a dark mahogany and it really looked nice. I then lined it with one of his favorite blankets left gave him all his toys and bones. I wrote him a long letter and gave it to him before i sealed him up. On the outside of it we wrote him messages in silver pen. The neighbor kids came over to say their goodbyes and write on his casket.
It took me all day to dig his grave. By the time i was done i could just barely see out of the hole it was so deep.

Once we finished filling it up we mulched the area and planted some nice flowers/plants. We placed a bird bath as his grave marker and hung some bird feeders so that he would always be surrounded by the birds he loved so much. I dont think there is anything more i could have done for the guy.

I miss him so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gertie

Re: Dexter: he left us far to early

Post by Gertie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:17 pm

I'm so very sorry about the loss of your dog friend. He was indeed much too young. Bless you.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:36 pm

My heart goes out to you. Way too soon to say goodbye.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:49 pm

So sorry for your loss. When they are an old old friend it's tough. Seems even more bitter when they are so young and full of life. A hunting dogs life is lived for the pure joy of hunting. Always with the pedal to the floor and a dangerous life it is. That pure joy makes it all worth while to them. Watching that pure joy is why we love them so. My boy lost one at that age. Buried him in one of his favorite quail gullies. Been 3 years. We always stop to say hi and shed a tear. The pain eases, the good times you had always remain. When you're ready a pup helps with the healing.

A little peace sent your way
Greg & Marla

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:37 am

Sorry to hear about Dex..............it's never easy.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:57 am

terrible :(