Said Good-Bye Too Soon

Petra

Said Good-Bye Too Soon

Post by Petra » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 pm

I said good-bye to Petra this morning, she was the pup that came with a heart on her side to help heal my heart after Cleo died. She was only 7 , "bleep" cancer. She taught me more than I ever taught her. The surprise today was Riley. He greeted the very kind and gentle Vet. that came to the house with his usual wiggle butt. When I was ready after all of my goodbyes she sedated her first and Riley laid on the ground about 2 feet away behind me as I held Petra. When I gave the Ok and she started to come over with the barbiturate Riley got up and stood between us to protect Petra. I had him lay back down behind me and at the moment Petra stopped breathing my friend asked what was wrong with Riley and I turned to see him trembling. It broke my heart.

I do not know when the shock of her being gone way too soon will end.

This tribute is to a dog that never left me. She was a sheer joy to hunt with. She pointed birds other dogs ran past. I will never forget the look she gave me when I released her when I could not locate the bird and she would not move just the eyes and eyebrows trying to direct me. I could walk and enjoy the woods or fields not having to constantly wonder where she was or what was happening. She was a true hunting PARTNER.

Riley and I will miss her.

Uva Collection

Re: Said Good-Bye Too Soon

Post by Uva Collection » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:20 pm

So sad and a nice story.
We don't know why animals know what they know, they just do.
You will miss your friend for a long time.
For years after i had to put down my GSP and her pups because a skunk got into the barn and in with the dogs, Meg protected the pups, but there was blood drawn, and the dead skunk turned up rabid - I saw her every morning waging and jumping up and down at the barn door. I always remember her eyes looking straight at me, she wondering what happened as I did back then. I don't think we ever forget.
Sheila Uva~Uva Collection
http://uvacollectionsheilauva.com

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:09 pm

So sorry. Cancer has hit us hard this year too. :cry: Hold tight to the memories.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:59 am

So sorry Petra. I know what you are going through.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:33 am

So sorry to hear of your loss. Keep all of the memories close- and she will never be gone.
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:36 am

So sorry about your dog friend. It just breaks the heart to lose them.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

AZSetter

Post by AZSetter » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:33 pm

This is absolutely the worse part of owning a dog. No matter how old they are it seems to soon. This is the price we pay for their unconditional love while they are with us........, the lessons they teach us and the memories that never leave.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Very sorry. There are no words to help, but anyone who has ever loved a dog, can understand your loss. :(
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 am

7 is way to young. In the years to come you will remember th lessons that's he taught you. It's amazing how a great dog can imprint you for life.