LUCK OF THE DRAW RIP.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

LUCK OF THE DRAW RIP.

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:02 am

I lost my loyal hunting companion, Lucky, yesterday. Getting home after a long night shift, the first thing I did was check on my dogs, as I always do. Everything seemed normal except that lucky was lying on the ground next to his dog house instead of in it like he always is at that time of morning. I went in and got ready for bed and got up in the afternoon, went out to take care of the dogs and Lucky was stretched out against the door of his kennel...He had passed while I was sleeping.

Lucky was a special dog in my life. I brought him home at 9 mos. old after one guy drove a few hundred miles to get him and after seeing him, decided he didn't want him. Another family bought him and returned him because they couldn't handle him. I drove up to look at him and as LUCK would have it, we seemed to bond instantly and I had to have him. I gave him a week or so to get acclimated to his new surroundings and we began training and playing and playing and training every day. He learned fast and would do anything for me once he understood what I wanted. He became a loyal, obedient and outstanding hunting dog, as anybody who ever hunted over him would attest to. He was a driven, intense and stylish, bird finding machine. I have some really cool stories to tell and I will have those memories as long as I live. He was 11yrs. old and I don't know what happened. I am not looking for sympathy here, but rather felt the urge to share and emphasize what a special dog he will always be to me....

Thanks for reading/listening and may Lucky RIP.,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

cohanzick creek

Re: LUCK OF THE DRAW RIP.

Post by cohanzick creek » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:30 am

Sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great dog
cc

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:39 am

Charlie, I've been there and know what you are feeling. It is a day none of us want so we try to not think about it till it happens. But like you said the memories will always be with you and the times he took your breath away. So till you meet again cherish those memories he provided for both of you. I am sure he knew he was Lucky!

RIP Lucky

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 am

Sorry for your loss Charlie.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:53 am

I was fortunate enough to have hunted with Lucky many, many times. He was such a hard driven dog with one of those very unique personalities. I thought so much of him I have a picture of him on my locker at work. He had everything you want in a birddog and he'll be missed. As mentioned before he gave us soo sooo many great memories and stories. I feel privilaged to have been able to spend as much time with him as I did...either hunting or drinking beer with him at the lake. Just a fun, well mannered dog to be around. Rest In Peace Lucky and Thanks For The Memories.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:16 am

This is the Thread I always hate to read.Sorry for your loss Charlie been there time & time again & it never gets any easier.I'm sure you have many fine memories that will bring a smile to your face as you think of them.
RIP Lucky.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:07 am

I'm sorry for your loss, it is never easy. I guess in a way, you were both "Lucky". He was, because he found you; and you were, because you found him. Condolences.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks everybody for the soothing comments. They are appreciated more than I can put into words.

Charlie

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:43 pm

The worst part is Charlie...we've all been there and it sucks. There isn't any way to candy coat it. Unfortunately, they don't live as long as we do. The Good part is..when we're ready, we get another one and hope and pray that it is as good as the ones we've lost. I have been fortunate enough to get one as good if not better and usually it is because those we lost taught us how to be better owners and trainers!!
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Godspeed, Lucky. May the bird fields be plentiful for you from now and for always.

I really enjoyed your tribute. Sounds like a very special bird dog and I know you must have been a special team together.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Sorry for your loss Charlie... The good ones will always stay with you in the memories, but it's hard when they go. :cry:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Echo Hill Kennel

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:54 am

Charlie,

Sounds like you and Lucky were a perfect match sorry for your loss its never easy.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks again to all!!!!

Charlie

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:51 am

So sorry to hear that Charlie.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 am

Words never seem to be enough when you lose a good dog but I am sorry for your loss.

RIP Lucky.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

asc

Post by asc » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:03 pm

11 years of good times sir. sorry to hear about your dog, Lucky.