RIP Tucker

CowboyBirdDogs

RIP Tucker

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:49 am

It's been a very tough week. Monday evening my dogs got out of our fence and my 3yr old male shorthair, Tucker, got hit by a car and was killed. He passed away way too young. He was always full of energy and putting a smile on everybody's face, so much personality. I've learned a lot through this process. Losing a pet doesn't compare, at least for me, to losing a bird dog you've had your whole life and trained. He wasn't perfect, no dog is, but he was coming along nicely and was only getting better. He always had a huge will to please. One thing I've definitely learned is to make that extra time for your dogs even when you're busy with every day stuff. Every day when I let him out he'd run around the yard until he found a toy or ball or anything I could throw and he'd bring it to me, most days I'd throw it around for him but some I'd be busy with other things and not have the time for it. I'd give anything to throw that ball or bumper for him one last time. I never once saw him get tired. It was a freak accident and nobody's fault, just something that happened and unfortunately it cost me one of my best friends and hunting partners. I've still got Abby and it has definitely affected her. She hasn't really acted the same since. They both got out and they always stuck together I'm pretty sure she probably saw the whole thing. She's lost a friend just like I have, she doesn't leave my side as soon as I get home. If you've never lost a hunting companion, brace yourself, it's tougher than I ever could've imagined. I know he's in a better place with more birds than he knows what to do with and he'll be waiting for me when I get there.

RIP Tuck. You're missed more than you'll ever know.
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad29 ... 175eda.jpg

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: RIP Tucker

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:30 am

So SO sorry ....that was way to young :( COndolences
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Echo Hill Kennel

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Sorry to hear, it is hard to lose a good gun dog when the life is cut short unexpectedly.
Hang in there
Our thoughts are with you..

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:41 pm

It's tough to lose a buddy. I feel your pain. :(

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:53 pm

My condolences. Always hard loosing them. He was a beautiful dog.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Sorry for your loss! That's a shame. :(
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. It's hard. This first season without him is going to be weird. He's in a better place. I'll hunt over his point again one day.

asc

Post by asc » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 pm

So sorry for your loss, been there and it ain't easy.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:50 am

Sorry to hear that. It is hard enough when they have lived a good long life but when it happens that young and unexpectedly, it is particularly hard.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way