FC Caden's Hoosier Court Jester & Bingo

postoakshorthairs

FC Caden's Hoosier Court Jester & Bingo

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue May 31, 2011 10:46 am

it has been a long tough memorial day weekend at our home. I haven't shared this much beyond our walls because most people just wouldn't understand...plus it's not easy to talk about. It's tough to put one dog to rest but two in a weekend is almost unbearable. I lost an awesome hunting companion Saturday and will lose a family friend this afternoon.

Joker was an awesome hunting companion that I was given the opportunity to acquire just last year. He was a favorite among my hunting buddies and was a hit when we guided a youth hunt last fall. He loved to hunt and I loved to hunt behind him. His life was cut tragically short Saturday morning when he was shot by a neighbor. He was playing in the yard with me, as each of my dogs do one by one on the weekends, when he and my JRT bound over the dam of the pond. We are lucky enough to live on 45 acres of rolling timber in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields and more woods so I've never had a second thought about having the dogs run free in the yard. When the JRT returned and Joker didn't I went looking for him in a short period of time. To my dismay I saw a dog that looked like him lying dead in a neighbors yard that had recently moved to the area. I summoned the sheriff to go onto his property since I wasn't 100 percent sure it was him or knew anything about the neighbor. Unfortunately, my fears were confirmed...the guy shot him because he killed a chicken. He didn't try to collar him, throw a rock, shoot over his head...nothing. He was the victim of unfortunate circumstance, coupled with over reaction. I will forever feel guilty for losing him like this.

Bingo, our families golden retriever will be put to rest today. He has been with us since his 8th week. He was not a hunter but was a friend to my wife and children. He stood guard outside the front door for years when I worked 24 hour shifts..quick to bark at any strange vehicle or noise. He woulda licked them and not bit but the notification made my wife feel secure. When the kids would play in the yard he was always by their side and if they wandered in the woods wouldnt leave till they did. To be honest, I didn't like him much when he was younger...he was hyper, chewed on my shoes, and just annoyed me. As he aged he grew on me and the last couple years he was my nightly feeding companion and mushroom hunting partner. He would beg to be fed then watch me feed the dogs in the kennel then, like he was hoping I forgot about the earlier feeding, beg for more food when I was putting the food away. We found out he had lymphoma a few weeks ago and his quality of life has deteriorated quickly. It would be unfair to extend his suffering only to delay ours. Good Bye old friend!

k2k

Re: FC Caden's Hoosier Court Jester & Bingo

Post by k2k » Tue May 31, 2011 3:43 pm

My deepest sympathy for your losses. You must be devastated. So sorry.

Karen

vern3

Post by vern3 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Tough week for sure
Prayers sent during this difficult time

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue May 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Poastoak, what a tragedy and two in one week! Your neighbor may have been within his legal rights but anybody with any ethics or compassion would have run him off and talked to you before doing anything drastic. This is a horrible story and my thoughts and condolences are with you.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue May 31, 2011 11:05 pm

I can't say I know how you feel, and probably would never wish to. But my deepest condolences to you. It's always tough to loose a best friend, but they would want you to keep hitting that field with you always remembering that point, that retrieve. Keep on truckin' my friend.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:36 pm

So sorry Marc. Joker looks like a beautiful shorthair, and it was a senseless act over something I know you would have made right. He's on to where he can roam free now and wouldn't want you feeling guilty.

And for Bingo, that gray face and happy golden retriever smile says it all. I know it doesn't make it easier to swallow, but I know you have some fine memories of the boy.

Take care...and thinking of you and yours.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Very sorry to hear of your loss of 2 special friends :( although the neighbour may have been within his rights it was a drastic measure in my opinion and very unfortunate..my hope is for you not to have this weigh on your soul and to keep all their memories alive by smiling when you think of them ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. It was a tough few days for sure. To make matters worse we've since found out that the guy has been to several of the neighbors houses, before he shot Joker, threatening to shoot any dog that came on his property. I also received a phone call in the middle of the night two nights later from a blocked number saying " i heard your dog was loose..you better get it before it gets shot". I'm afraid it's gonna become a bigger issue :evil:. I sure hope that's the last two dogs i have to say goodbye to for a while. I can't stand watching my wife and kids cry... :cry:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Thats horrible! What did the sheriff say? Nothing on his place would be safe if he shot my dog! Hope Cash is ok......
brenda

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Sorry for your loss. Also sorry that we have people like that in this world!!! Prayers are with you.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:29 pm

snips wrote:Thats horrible! What did the sheriff say? Nothing on his place would be safe if he shot my dog! Hope Cash is ok......
Sherrif said that since my dog was on his property he had a right to "protect his livestock". The deputy was a friend, hunter, and dog lover so he did chew they guy's a$$ for not trying other means. Let's just say it's not laid to rest but my kids have to pass his house everyday so i'm calculating my moves pretty carefully. Cash is fine and I won't let this happen again....period! I rescued a lab going into his property a few days later. This is a very close knit rural area with lots of friends and neighbors...the word is spreading fast about this guy.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:54 am

postoakshorthairs wrote:
snips wrote:Thats horrible! What did the sheriff say? Nothing on his place would be safe if he shot my dog! Hope Cash is ok......
Sherrif said that since my dog was on his property he had a right to "protect his livestock". The deputy was a friend, hunter, and dog lover so he did chew they guy's a$$ for not trying other means. Let's just say it's not laid to rest but my kids have to pass his house everyday so i'm calculating my moves pretty carefully. Cash is fine and I won't let this happen again....period! I rescued a lab going into his property a few days later. This is a very close knit rural area with lots of friends and neighbors...the word is spreading fast about this guy.
For sure when you have kids you have to be VERY careful..when youre dealing with someone who would shoot a dog over a chicken i would keep a VERY close eye on them..it makes me furious and it wasnt even my dog so i can only imagine how YOU feel....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:15 am

postoakshorthairs wrote: I also received a phone call in the middle of the night two nights later from a blocked number saying " i heard your dog was loose..you better get it before it gets shot".
He was within his rights to shoot your dog for killing chickens but that phone call would put me at his front door to find out wich one of us was the tough guy. Very sorry to hear about your dog.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:58 am

Ron R wrote:
postoakshorthairs wrote: I also received a phone call in the middle of the night two nights later from a blocked number saying " i heard your dog was loose..you better get it before it gets shot".
He was within his rights to shoot your dog for killing chickens but that phone call would put me at his front door to find out wich one of us was the tough guy. Very sorry to hear about your dog.
He wasn't there. he must work nights...not a soul in sight.