Gunner

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Gunner

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:51 am

Thursday, in a freak hunting accident, I shot my beloved Gunner.

He was away from us, out of sight to the left but came from nowhere and topped a ridge 30 yards behind a wild-flushed sharptail that I shot.

He ran back to me as though he was just peppered, but collapsed.

I carried him 1,811 steps back to the truck and got him to the vet as quickly as possible.

All appearances were that he was well on his way to recovery and coming home to us this week.

During the night, heart arrhythmia, that he was being treated for, and had to all appearances recovered from, overcame him and he passed on.

All here are heartbroken beyond words.

He was a once-in-a-lifetime dog, our mischievous, good-natured companion, and my couch buddy.

We are simply unable to process this at this time. Your thoughts and consideration would be greatly appreciated.

The Jennings Family

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Gunner

Post by ACooper » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:12 am

Oh "bleep" Greg I am truly sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:24 am

Wish there were some words to help you and your family to feel better but I can't even begin to fathom how awful you feel :cry:

Sooo Soo Sorry.. condolences to all
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:26 am

My deepest sympathy for you and your family. I am at a loss for words. For the short time I met Gunner he left a paw print on my heart, I am typing this with tears and my eyes and two of his sons lying at my feet.
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Donna and the kids.
Peggy

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:28 am

This is heartbreaking, our thought are with you and your family in this time of loss.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:22 am

So very sorry that something like this happened. It's just hard to handle by yourself. I will say a prayer asking that God will give you help.

My heartfelt sympathy to you Greg and your family.

Al
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Greg, prayers are with you and your family. May the Lord keep you and hold you close.

Post by 1114 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:06 pm

So sorry for your loss, especially under these circumstances. Accidents happen but it doesn't make it any less heartbreaking. By all accounts, he was a fantastic dog. Hang in there...

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:17 pm

So sorry about your loss. I will say a quick prayer for you.
Doyle

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Wow Greg, truly sorry to hear that, thoughts are with you and your family....

Chip

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:48 pm

sincerest condolences

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Greg that is awful news hang in there .We are tested sometimes for reasons we dont understand,again im sorry for your loss.

Eric

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Greg I'm speechless.... I can't imagine what your going through. Time will heal the heartache. I wish the best for you and your family in this time of grieving.

k2k

Post by k2k » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Greg,

My heartfelt condolences to you, and your family, as tears roll down my cheeks. I can't imagine the pain, but I wish you peace.

Karen

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Man Greg, I'm terribly sorry to read this. I really don't know what to say other than Godspeed Gunner and I'm saying prayers to help you and the family with the healing.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:40 pm

I just now saw this, and want you to know how truely heartbroken we are..He was a fabulous dog and I know you have alot to deal with, but know our prayers are with you.
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:18 am

To all here that have posted words of support: We appreciate them very much. They help.

To the several folks that have emailed, PMed and texted: Thank you very much. I appreciate it. I'm sorry that I'm just not up to talking about this right now. I'm just too choked up.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:35 am

Nearly everyone goes through the grief cycle of shock, denial, anger, bargaining (seeking in vain for a way out) or rationalization (trying to justify why it happened), depression, looking for solutions, acceptance. Time heals wounds but it's too soon right now ..... too soon. Many of us wild bird hunters have been a hair breadth away from pulling the trigger in the same kind of a situation. We understand Greg and "there but for the grace of God .. go I".
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 am

Greg...our thoughts & prayers are with you & your family.
Bill L.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:33 am

I thank all that have PMed and FB messaged words of support over the past couple of days. It helps.

To the two mean-spirited PMers. You were not there and have no idea how this occurred. "Blue sky": Yes. I did. Just not enough. I will further say this: anyone that has ever shot a wild bird without absolutely, 100%, having all the dogs in sight has done *exactly* what I did. It just caught up with me before it caught up with you.

Anyone that hunts primarily in flat land: The safety protocol that we are normally taught, "the safe-to-shoot wedge", is insufficient in hilly territory with fast-moving dogs. You cannot rely on looking in the arc and shooting if there is nothing in it. You must, rather, verify both that there is nothing in the arc *and* 100% verify, without assumptions, that the people and dogs in your party are outside the wedge *and* not able to get into it while you are moving on the shot.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:13 am

Greg
I am truly sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Remember the fun times and the frustrating training days that make for memories and time will ease the sting. I will light a candle for you today.
NCQ
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 am

Greg Jennings wrote:I thank all that have PMed and FB messaged words of support over the past couple of days. It helps.

To the two mean-spirited PMers. You were not there and have no idea how this occurred. "Blue sky": Yes. I did. Just not enough. I will further say this: anyone that has ever shot a wild bird without absolutely, 100%, having all the dogs in sight has done *exactly* what I did. It just caught up with me before it caught up with you.

Anyone that hunts primarily in flat land: The safety protocol that we are normally taught, "the safe-to-shoot wedge", is insufficient in hilly territory with fast-moving dogs. You cannot rely on looking in the arc and shooting if there is nothing in it. You must, rather, verify both that there is nothing in the arc *and* 100% verify, without assumptions, that the people and dogs in your party are outside the wedge *and* not able to get into it while you are moving on the shot.
Greg, I don't know you but can tell by your posts that you loved that dog! Please ignore those messages and focus on the well wishes of everyone else. God Bless.
Doyle

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:14 am

Yeah, Doyle, I loved Gunner. If he could have carried me out, I would have happily traded places with him.

He wasn't perfect, but he was very, very good. He did have a perfect disposition; he didn't have a mean bone in his body. He loved everyone and everything. Well, except for skunks. He purely did not like skunks.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:36 am

BigShooter wrote:Nearly everyone goes through the grief cycle of shock, denial, anger, bargaining (seeking in vain for a way out) or rationalization (trying to justify why it happened), depression, looking for solutions, acceptance. Time heals wounds but it's too soon right now ..... too soon. Many of us wild bird hunters have been a hair breadth away from pulling the trigger in the same kind of a situation. We understand Greg and "there but for the grace of God .. go I".
This is so true...I came within a half squeeze on the trigger once of shooting my ol Rip dog...A bird I missed flew in 10-12 ft cover, and being not quite as broke as he shoulda been , went in after it. I saw the bird come out of that cover, my finger on the trigger and saw Rips head right where I was going to shoot..He jumped straight up in the air to mark the bird and I almost shot him...I sweated for an hour about what I almost did..And took me a long time to pick up a gun again.....So, we can all relate and share your pain. :cry:
brenda

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Greg, that is aweful and my condolences to you and your family. May he be resting in peace in the grandest bird field of them all... my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Jennings Family :

Can only imagine the pain you & your family are going through right now, Time heals all wounds, My God grant you & your Family peace at this tough time, My thoughts & prayers are with you & your Family
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:18 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I

To the two mean-spirited PMers. You were not there and have no idea how this occurred. ".
SERIOUSLY YOU SORRY PIG%UCKERS NEED TO GET A LIFE, YOUR GODDAMN WELCOME THEY CENSOR THIS "bleep", WHAT SORRY "bleep" WOULD SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEP I SAID IT......

Last year in Kansas Rick and I were hunting I was walking up a creek bottom up flushed a single I pulled up and shot and "bleep" if Jack was not standing on top 10 yds from where the bird come up, thank god he was standing it, I chastised myself all day, it's an easy thing to do Greg....

Chip

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:38 pm

lvrgsp wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:I

To the two mean-spirited PMers. You were not there and have no idea how this occurred. ".
SERIOUSLY YOU SORRY PIG%UCKERS NEED TO GET A LIFE, YOUR GODDAMN WELCOME THEY CENSOR THIS "bleep", WHAT SORRY "bleep" WOULD SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEP I SAID IT......

Last year in Kansas Rick and I were hunting I was walking up a creek bottom up flushed a single I pulled up and shot and "bleep" if Jack was not standing on top 10 yds from where the bird come up, thank god he was standing it, I chastised myself all day, it's an easy thing to do Greg....

Chip
I agree whomever pm'd any negativity should be ashamed of themselves...

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:06 pm

I don't know what to say other than I'm so sorry, and I know we have lost a good one from the shorthair world. I loved seeing pics of Gunner's pups, and I know they've got tons of potential. He will live on in those pups. My condolences to your family and RIP Gunner.

To those that sit back and judge, you must be flawless...or more likely in denial. I can't count how many times I've been thankful for a fortunate outcome despite a bad decision on my part. It's the whole hindsight thing...and through the bravery of someone else sharing their experience...it can hopefully help the rest of us to avoid the same situation.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Greg, man Im sorry to hear the sad news. Gunner was a cool dog and I know from talking to you, he was much more than just a "dawg". I bet Gunner and my old dog Boomer will be gliding across the great big prairie in the sky together for many many seasons ahead. If we are lucky we can join them some day in the future.

Thoughts and prayers go out to you brother and to your family during this trying period.

Hang in there.

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Greg, I am very sorry for the loss of your hunting buddy!
Matt

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:21 pm

Truly, truly sorry for your loss and what you are going through, my condolences to you.
I have posted this once here, but will again....a tribute to our beloved GSPS who have gone to the great fields in the sky.....

The Spirit of a German Shorthair Dog

I was standing on a hillside, in a field of blowing wheat
And the spirit of a German Shorthair Dog was lying at my feet.
He looked at me with kind dark eyes, an ancient wisdom shining through
And in the essence of his being, I saw love there too.

His mind did lock upon my heart as I stood there on that day
And he told me of this story about a place so far away.
I stood upon that hillside in a field of blowing wheat
And in a twinkling of a second, his spirit had left my feet.

His tale did put my heart at ease, my fears did fade away
About what lay ahead of me on another distant day.
"I live among God's creatures now, in the heavens of your mind
So do not grieve for me my friend, as I am with my shorthair kind.

My collar is a rainbow's hue, my leash a shooting star
My boundaries are the Milky Way where I sparkle from afar.
There are no pens or kennels here, for I am not confined
But free to roam God's heavens, among my Shorthair kind.

I nap the day on a snowy cloud, gentle breezes rocking me
And dream the dreams of earthlings, and how it used to be.
The trees are full of grouse up here and quail they do abound,
And pheasants line the meadows, just waiting to be found.

There even is a field trial grounds, the grass all lush and green
And everyone who gets around becomes a champion.
For we're all winners in this place, we have no faults you see
And God passes out those ribbons, to each one, even me.

I drink from waters laced with gold, my world a beauty to behold
And wise old dogs do form my pride to amble at my very side.
At night I sleep in an angel's arms, her wings protecting me
And moonbeams dance about us as stardust falls on thee.

So when your life on earth is spent and you stand at Heaven's gate
Have no fear of loneliness, for here, you know I'll wait."

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Gunner was special beyond words and your love and pride in him beamed. My prayers to you and your family.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:05 pm

I'm so sorry. My dad shot his friend's beagle once. It can happen so easily in the heat of the moment. My Dad said that the grief he experienced from doing that, was like nothing before. I'm very sorry.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:52 am

Greg...........my thoughts and prayers are with you. A freak accident for sure.........may Gunner live on in your hearts and memories. We shall see them again someday. God Bless.........

Judy
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Greg and Family-

There are no words.....except to express my deepest sympathies in your loss. Gunner and you made a lifetime of wonderful memories.....lean into these precious moments of time to give you the strength to endure these dark days of grief. My heart is with you during this difficult time.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:36 pm

my deepest condolences Greg.

-John

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:08 am

Greg,
I just saw this and wanted to pass on my condolences. I have done the exact same thing and it's easy to do in that kind of cover. The heartless "bleep" that sent those kind of messages in such a difficult time obviously have never read your posts about Gunner. You could tell by your posts just how fond you were of that dog and you would obviously never do anything to harm him. You will be in my thoughts.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Greg:

Sincere condolences from our family. Gunner was with Brenda last year when I stopped by and he looked like one nice dog.

Don't beat yourself up too much, things happen...we don't know why and often don't understand. Trust that he will be waiting for you in the end.

May God bless you and your family during this tough time.

Dennis

djadams

Post by djadams » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Greg, I know this is a little late of a reply but I just got the news yesterday from Brenda.
It is a heartbreaking experience to lose a dog... especially unexpected like that.
I know, I lost a dog last year that was Gunner's half brother (Sire'd by Fritz)... Woody ran away last October and I haven't seen him since and I wish I knew what happened to him. It was very difficult to deal with that.

I hope that you and your family are doing OK after your loss.

I only hope that my dog Baron (Snips Baron von Gunner), sire'd by your dog and Snips Snappin Sally, can someday be half as good as Gunner and carry on his legacy!!
Last year I was told by a gentlemen after the loss of Woody that "the best medicine for a lost dog is a new one"... well, this statement is true. Baron has been able to fill that hole in my heart. Even though he is a different dog and I will never, ever forget Woody, I am very happy with Baron!! I hope that you can someday move past this as well.

Hang in there!!

Dan

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Greg,

I didnt know you then. I didnt even know about the forum then. But for as much as you have helped me and taught me in this short time I have been in the forum, i cannot imagine the lives you have taken part in. Thank you for your tenacious attention and advice! I hope one day I will get to meet you and hear all about your dog Gunner! Thanks again, and I am so sorry for your loss!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:00 pm

Greg, I have to apologize. I either missed or over looked this thread until tonight. I know it is coming late but I am so sorry to hear this. I know it doesn't help, but freak accidents like this happen, and the older I get, the more I believe things happen for reasons that we may eventually or maybe never understand. I am also furious to hear about mean spirited PM's. These people have to be ignorant, complete idiots, evil people with no heart, or all of the above!!!

Hopefully, time will heal the pain but I know he will always be in your heart. A broken heart is the worst pain there is. God bless you and your family.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:56 pm

I haven't been on much and I think I usually subliminally try to avoid this section when I am. Today is the first time I've read this, I apologize for being a bit late. I am sorry to hear of this tragic loss Greg. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. It may be easy for some to think that something like this could never happen to them. Bottom line is stuff happens, not all days go as well as they should or we would like. There is an inherent risk everytime we take our dogs out to the field. The dogs wouldn't want it any other way, that is where they are happiest, that is where they are meant to be, despite any and all risk. Treasure the good memories.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:35 am

I thank one and all, from the bottom of my heart, for the kind words that have been offered to me and to my family. The have helped us through get through this more than you can know.

Big Steve

Post by Big Steve » Wed May 04, 2011 12:18 pm

We have never met, but I just found out about the passing of Gunner. I'm very sorry for your lose. I was fortunate to get a Gunner pup from Buckeye Kennels in Ohio last summer, and she is now 10 months old. I had sent Rick Hopkins an email telling him that I would like to meet you to talk dogs and he relayed the bad news to me. I still hope to talk to you some time soon. Again sorry for your lose. Big Steve (Scharrer)