Old Ruffy

SHORTFAT

Old Ruffy

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Well... It's been two weeks now and I can finally type this without tearin' up. We had to put down our companion of 14 1/2 years on July 8th. He was a black lab that I brought home when my son was only 3 months old. Ruff was one month younger than Nathan. My wife could've killed me! But I told her... just wait till they're 3... then you'll know I was right. Well my son learned to walk holding onto that dogs ears and they were best pals to the end. He was a good grouse dog. A gentelman and a scholar... or so I always told him... My wife was sold on him by the end of a few months and when the night came when we knew we had to put him down, we all sat together with him in the livingroom and cried. We have a 10 month old English Pointer pup, and she's doin' the best she can to ease the hurt... but I sure do miss my old friend. My daughter didn't really want the pup at first cuz she felt guilty about "replacing" Ruff... but the pups soft ears have won her over to a new member of the family. It's amazing how deeply a dog's life can touch a family. I've owned several dogs in my life, but I can honestly say Ruffy was the best of the lot. I miss him.

Thanks for a forum to say goodbye... rest well old friend.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

SHORTFAT

Re: Old Ruffy

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:41 pm

I tried to upload a picture of Ruff and my son when they were about 6, but I couldn't get it to post. I'll keep trying...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:38 pm

truly sorry for your lost.

brandon

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:55 am

I feel your pain. Sounds like Ruff was given and gave a pretty darn good life in this go around. I hope the memories you shared with him help to ease the pain in the days to come. My best to you and your family.

vern3

Post by vern3 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Sorry for your loss

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:51 pm

Sorry for your loss. It's hard letting them go, and unless you've had the absolute pleasure to live with one (or more), you just can't understand how much a part the family they really are!!
Bill L.