A lifetime is not long enough!

dlfl

A lifetime is not long enough!

Post by dlfl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:24 am

Brady came to us by way of a statement made around a campfire that we would like a red whippet to match our greyhound. Cindy spoke up saying she raised field trial whippets and had a litter of red whippets. A trip to Atlanta and the breeders home the next afternoon when the field trial was over. Shown to us in her home were seven red whippet puppies, not long off the mother. While they were a blur of speed and fur, one decided to park himself next to me on the couch. The others jumped up and stayed a second or two, the little male stayed at my side. He had found who he was looking for and nothing else would do.

The next morning a long trip to Panama City with the puppy lying on a towel between us. A rest stop from time to time got us home without any accidents. He made himself at home and from that time on he allowed us to live with him. The bonding that took place that first day on the couch would only become stronger.

He was a natural retriever and would chase anything thrown till he could not go any longer. At about three months of age he was watching other dogs practicing lure coursing. I let him chase the plastic bag for about 15 feet each time it came around the last pulley to the starting place. Each time he got more and more excited. We ended by letting him chase the bag for about 50 yards. Brady had found his real passion, running at top speed to catch anything running. Over the next few months he was worked to be ready for his first field trial when he reached a year of age.

I am not sure if I had any idea of the what it would mean to have a friend with the amount of desire, talent, ability to turn on a dime, and blistering speed he would prove to have. His first official field trial he announced to all that it was now a new ball game if others wished to compete. He was a picture of athleticism and talent every time he ran. He ran the best of the best and most times he came out on top. Titles and wins were his for the taking.

We were not able to campaign him near enough for the talent he had but he was a very happy dog. He passed on that talent when he was bred. His pups would go on to achieve much higher accomplishments.

After he was out of his prime he developed a new passion! CATS !!!! None within several blocks were safe if he got out. And get out he did, a talent almost as good as his running. The occasional opossum that got into the yard were very lucky if they escaped with their lives.

He helped raise a few pups and a greyhound rescue. He never seemed to lose his puppy exuberance.

Today was much harder than I had expected. He had lived the good life and all must come to an end. But I have to admit it, I cried like a baby and carried him home in my arms. The two other dogs were given a chance to see him and get in one last sniff.
Dіck

Kiki's Mom

Re: A lifetime is not long enough!

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:48 am

Oh "bleep"....may the sun shine on your heart and warm the memories that will carry you through this dark place called grief Goodbye is never easy, no matter how well loved and lived the life. Brady was a treasure and your tribute to him was beautiful.
My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Streenie79

Re: A lifetime is not long enough!

Post by Streenie79 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:30 pm

"....I cried like a baby and carried him home in my arms...."

Of course you did. That's what the truest friends do. How very, very lucky you and Brady were to have each other.

And while you're so right.....a lifetime is not enough.....it would seem that the lifetime the two of you shared was indeed of the very best there is. Though no doubt difficult to put to words, thanks for sharing some of it here.

Streenie