Saoirse 05/17/2001-11/04/2008

canis521

Saoirse 05/17/2001-11/04/2008

Post by canis521 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:31 am

Lost one of my true friends this last Tuesday. She came from a litter of 8, of which 7 were diagnosed with megaesophagus. Six were euthanized; I decided to try and manage it with her. She had a great 7.5 years, but the last 2 weeks her vomitting increased significantly. X-rays showed her esophagus was taking up a large portion of her chest cavity, her heart was slightly enlarged, and it appeared a tumor had developed near her spine. Last Friday I talked to the vet to let him know I had made the decision to put her down; I would know when the time was right- he said to call him on any day and at any time. Ironically she seemed as healthy as ever over the weekend, she wanted to play with her cohorts, as lively as ever and no vomitting. Sunday evening we waded the river behind my parents house looking for woodies; she was in her element, as joyful and alert as ever.

And then Tuesday came. In the morning she vomitted, this time it contained blood. I knew it was time, and I called Dr. John. I would see him at 2:30 that afternoon. I had a few hours to spend with her; I took her back to the river behind my parents, it was the place of her first hunt, and I wanted it to be the place of her last "hunt". She perked up once we got there and walked to the river and stepped into the familiar surroundings. She was tired we didn't go far at all, and it was all downstream. She sat down in the river, then laid down- something she always avoided doing- I knew the time had truly come.

I carried her to the stream bank, set her gently down and laid next to her. She laid her 2 paws over my leg followed by her head; this was it, we both knew it. I was recently with my father while he passed away; I could not help but make the correlation between life and death, be it human or animal. It is a similiar process. I am grateful I was with my father and my dog during their passing; it will help me realize how meaningful life is, and how each individual can touch others.

I am grateful she passed away on her own terms and in a place she was so familiar with. Admittedly I second guess some of my decisions, but I truly believe she enjoyed her life and was comfortable throughout and in the end.

Saoirse is, and always will be, dearly missed. Thanks for what you gave to me.
DSCF0007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Saoirse 05/17/2001-11/04/2008

Post by wems2371 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:56 am

What a wonderful tribute for a dog dealt a bad hand from the beginning of life. I'm glad you stuck with her and gave her those 7.5 years, and were able to be by her side when she passed on. That had to be the absolute greatest comfort to her...........and to you. She looks like a beautiful girl. Rest in Peace Saoirse. Sorry for your loss. Denise

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Wow...a beautiful eulogy to a treasured hunting partner. May the sun shine on you in your time of darkness and may all of the memories made comfort you now as you grieve her passing. Me deepest sympathies to you in your loss.

Blessed Be

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 am

So sorry, that is sad :cry:
brenda

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:45 am

I agree that he had a great life! That is obvious from the heart-felt tribute from his best friend. It brought tears to my eyes.