Skid Plate?

Highbrass

Skid Plate?

Post by Highbrass » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:16 pm

Can anyone offer a review or recommend a skid plate/chest protector?

AT2

Post by AT2 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:53 pm

I was considering one for my dog as well. I was at a trial the other day and a guys dog had a nice long deep scratch on her belly. She didn't seem to even notice it but we all did. My dog still barely has any hair on her belly.
So yeah if someone could recommend a brand or something that would be nice.

AT2

Post by AT2 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:06 pm

guess not.
I intend to get Piper one so I will take this for action. :lol:

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:38 pm

I wonder if one of those nylon blaze vests I see some dogs wearing be strong enough? I would think it would need to be flexable but tough, maybe something made outa Cordura?

Maybe someting along this?....
http://www.lonewolfdogwear.com/#camo

Danro

Post by Danro » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:11 pm

http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-vest/d ... ector.html

I use this vest. It's got good orange coverage so it's good for a safety vest. I didn't know that it would be so big for my Brit, so I ended up having to cut a section off so it's only two straps, not three. But other than that it's been great.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:48 pm

I have several I bought at my local hunting supply store. They are called "skid plates." They are very durable and have clips instead of the velcro. The velcro protectors seem to always fill up with weeds and grass and never fit my dogs. The Skid Plates have a ton of adjustments along with many sizes. Do a search for "skid plate dogs" on google and you should find them. Also, these do not have sleeves on the front legs so your dog can still move. They have really been nice on my females, especially soon after weaning.

Nitrex

Highbrass

Post by Highbrass » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:18 am

Thanks for the replies. I picked up a "skid-plate". We'll see how it works out this weekend.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:33 pm

I got one for my dog at Cabela's, it clips on and comes in three sizes. My GSP is on the small side for the medium, she's 50 lbs. It worked pretty well.

I'll have to see if I can find the catalog number, it was the Cabela's brand one that cost $30.

Weege3

Post by Weege3 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:21 pm

My friend uses one of the cabelas skid plates on is britt. He loves it and protects her belly really well. I tried it on my gsp but it rubbed in his problem areas making them worse. So I don't use anything now he seems allright.