Dog Bed

oregon woodsmoke

Dog Bed

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:27 am

Who is currently making and selling a sturdy indestructible dog lounging bed for outdoor kennel use? You know, the canvas sling on a sturdy metal framework.

One that won't collapse when a big dog leaps on it going at speed, and one that can't be ripped apart in rough play.

BigTub

Re: Dog Bed

Post by BigTub » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 pm

I have been looking into this for our 1+ yr old Britt, whose middle name is Destructo. Even with the well over $100 beds, the best warranty is 120-180 days or so. K9 Ballistic has the metal encased one and then some chew resistant ones also. After doing the normal google search for chew-proof dog beds, I got to see lots of adds for Bullybeds and Gorilla dog beds. I am waiting to see if he mellows out before buying the next bed. My 2 yr old female Britt really mellowed out at 1.5 yr. We have a Kong bed in her crate and she has not destroyed it. The 1 yr male would have demolished it in one night. I am looking forward to anyone's personal stories.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:45 am

I made dog beds out of 1 1/2" PVC with 3/4" cattle pads. Pretty indestructable. I made the legs a bit to on the first ones.They broke a few times. Cut them down to four or six inches and they worked great. Some are 20 years old now. They do tend to make callouses on the dogs hocks and elbows....Cj

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:58 pm

CJ, I’d be interested in a picture of one if you got it

Gneiss Dog

Post by Gneiss Dog » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:06 pm

Kurada beds have been good for me 1 is older style and at least 7yr old only thing wrong is the tubes bowed a bit ( now it would be their indoor model). They make ones for a crate but I like the wet mutt mats for that think those are 2yo ish and while not daily bed they never chewed them on multi day drives.
They have chewed part of PVC on newer one I got but not destroyed and since shown no interest in it. I definitely like it for the summer time older model let water drain better. I’ve had dog beds last years to only a week it’s more if they decide to destroy or not than how well made in my experience.

https://kuranda.com/dog-beds

Split 55 gal drums work too but some chew the plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:24 am

I bought a Cooleroo dog cot from Jeffers. Size large 51"X31", cost $34.99.

I had the idea to buy a cheap one to see if the dog would use it before I spent the money to get an expensive one.

This thing is sturdy, The metal frame is heavy. For the price, I was expecting flimsy metal tubing.

Fabric is an outdoor woven fabric that will let water drain through, rated for indoor or outdoor use. The catalog didn't say what it is made of. Some sort of plastic-y stuff that is pretty common on outdoor furniture made for people. It comes with a warranty.

Some assembly required but there are not a lot of parts and it isn't complicated.

There is a small triangular shape gap in each corner and I suppose a dog with small feet who put some effort into it might be able to get a leg through there.

The dog likes it and started using that instead of his regular cushy bed.

Shipping is free if you spend $50, so I bought a couple of tubes of wormer to get me over the limit.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:27 am

Probably not the right guy to answer this question. My dog's sleep in the house in my bed! But all the time I see these big overstuffed pillows they call dog beds. have ya tried one of them? I'd think all you really need is the bed, not the frame! Probably be cool to have the frame but not sure it's worth the money! Want the dog elevated a bit? Build a frame platform out of wood and put the pillow up on it.

My own though about this is about what I think about a lot of dog things, your putting to much thought into it!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks Don. The dogs have a large selection of cushy beds in the house. I was looking for something for outside for the dog who likes to lay out in the sun and has chosen the best pee spot as his go-to sun bed. I'm hoping he will use the raised cot and cut out the stinky habit of sleeping in the dirt where it smells like dog pee.