Uplander Dog House

Garrison

Uplander Dog House

Post by Garrison » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:23 pm

Found a used, but in really good condition Uplander Dog House on Craig’s List for $50. Pretty happy with the find.

Overall impressions:
A nice dog house, think I like the now discontinued dog den more due to the better door. Dog preferred it over the barrel when I had both in the kennel. I’m sure it will last a long time.

Pros:
Simple, well made, floor comes out for cleaning, I can crack the roof in warmer weather to let some air in. Medium is perfect size for a 50lb dog, nice and tight and warm, Had to buy it for $50

Cons:
Door is really light weight aluminum, not nearly as high quality as the Dog Den door, can’t prop it open in the heat. Wish it was a little deeper for winter bedding

Upgrades:
I cut a stall mat for the floor, I might work out a magnet catch system for the door to prop it open in the heat. Interior is plywood, some models come with FRP, think I may get a sheet and line it for easier cleaning.
2D362793-0FB2-4757-BD7B-478952B6FF41.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

art hubbard

Re: Uplander Dog House

Post by art hubbard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:50 pm

Good buy...

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 am

Stole it! How do you sleep at night?!? :lol:

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:57 am

$50 I can't even buy a sheet of 1/"2 plywood for $50....Wow

Grant

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:40 am

I was shocked at the price too, until I found out the guy that was selling it wasn’t a bird dog guy.

Although the people in the bird dog community are some of the most generous people I have ever met and we all spend untold amounts on our hobby, by and large it is incontrovertible that we also have the tightest grip on our wallets. :D

Two Pomeranians wouldn’t go through the door so it was listed. And now that my dog sleeps well at night featherfinder, I do as well :lol:
Last edited by Garrison on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:29 am

LOVE a sense of humor Garrison!

chuckanut

Post by chuckanut » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Does anyone know what the temperature rating is on these boxes? I am considering buying a couple for my pointers but it gets below zero on occasion and I am wondering at what temperature I’d need to bring them in but it doesn’t say on any website and I can’t seem to get a straight answer from a retailer.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm

chuckanut wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 pm
Does anyone know what the temperature rating is on these boxes? I am considering buying a couple for my pointers but it gets below zero on occasion and I am wondering at what temperature I’d need to bring them in but it doesn’t say on any website and I can’t seem to get a straight answer from a retailer.
I don’t know what the rating would be or how they would even rate it, depends on the dog. But if I lived in a really cold climate this or even better, the divider style house is what I would buy. Dog Dens are pretty nice too. Lots of dry bedding and not too big of a box for the dog and it would take some pretty brutal temps for the dogs body heat to not warm it up.

If you live in a really cold spot and can’t crate them inside on the really cold nights, there are a couple companies that make electric dog house heaters you can install.
- Mark Twain-

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 am

chuckanut wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 pm
I don’t know about the uplander dog box but I have a dog den with a hound heater that works great. I live in north west Nevada where winter temps are often in the low teens, single digits and for a week or two into the negative digits. I Use grass hay as bedding and set the hound heater on medium which keeps inside toasty warm and dogs happy. No need to bring them inside no matter weather and if I was possibly concerned I would just turn heater up to high but really I think it would be to warm.