Fi Collar - GPS tracking collar

BuckeyeSteve

Fi Collar - GPS tracking collar

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 am

Has anyone had any experience with the new Fi Collar? I've gotten a couple pop-up ads on my phone recently, and just looked up their website. It's a $149 collar that supposedly goes 3 months b/n recharges and can be used from your phone for tracking fido. The pics they show look like google earth images in urban areas -- which is definitely not where I'm worried about losing my dog.

I recently had a neighbor ask me to stop running my dog with his bell on (on our daily exercise runs), so I'm looking for a backup way of tracking him for that once every 300 runs where he decides to get adventurous and go exploring. Without my bell, it's stressful every time I lose sight of him for a minute because I can't tell if he's close or on a hard run over the next hillside. I'm hoping this is something that could give me a safety net without going to the expense of a Alpha 100.

If anyone has any experience or first/second hand knowledge of these, I'd appreciate the insight.

Pedro

Re: Fi Collar - GPS tracking collar

Post by Pedro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am

I don't know anything about the Fi Collar.

If you look you can find 1st generation Astro 220 + a collar for less than $300. That'd be the way I'd go if I wanted to save money.

I have one as a backup that's 10 years old and going strong. Pull it out a few times a year just to keep batteries good.

JONOV

Re: Fi Collar - GPS tracking collar

Post by JONOV » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 am

The Dogtra Pathfinder is half the price of the Alpha. It just requires a smart phone. I've used it and it would work well for what you need. It isn't a training collar but works well when you need to remind the dog that there's no "agreeing to disagree..." I used it to get my dog to heel when he wouldn't get out of a badger hole and when he took off after a deer it broke him off. You just don't have the instant timing one needs with a training collar.