Dogtra Pathfinder VS. Garmin Alpha 100 TT15

BuckeyeSteve

Dogtra Pathfinder VS. Garmin Alpha 100 TT15

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 am

I've read a ton of individual reviews on both...but would like to have a better understanding of how the would work vs each other for my specific situation. Any knowledgeable advise would be appreciated.
I like that the Dogtra is half the price of the Alpha, and like not carrying an extra device. I like that it sounds more simple to use. I understand I can shut down other apps and cell service to make the battery life last and I can carry a remote charge pack.... I still like the battery life of the Alpha more. I trust the durability of the Alpha (vs my phone, not the collar itself) more. I like that I don't have to pre-download maps if I go hunting on State Gamelands with the Alpha, as I don't always know where I'm going to end up being when I take off for the day (I realize better pre-planning would fix this). I like that I don't have to buy or pay for map updates with the Dogtra. Both have their pro's and con's.
I have one dog, and will likely stay that way, though it's possible I'll run 2 in the future. My dog is a 6 month old pup and it's my first dog I've ever tried to train. I saw someone comment in another thread that the Dogtra was more of a tracking collar with the ability to correct a junk run than it is a legit training collar. Is that accurate? I probably need a training collar more than I need the tracking collar -- though I do need both. I'm going to be hunting mostly public game land in PA for pheasant and grouse....with some hopeful out of state trips to larger lands for various pursuits.
Any good advice between the two?

nevermind

Re: Dogtra Pathfinder VS. Garmin Alpha 100 TT15

Post by nevermind » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:33 pm

I'm not a e-collar guru or pro trainer...I picked up this is a young dog you have and first time training, anyway I would choose one according to the range I let my dog hunt. A dog that doesn't leave shotgun range wouldn't need a tracking collar... my dogtra 2500 with locate worked well and is a good training collar.
I purchased pathfinder a few months ago as I have a further ranging dog. I'm liking it so far... about it not being a useful training collar... maybe just the user wasn't comfortable with change. I did find it awkward at first to go from knowing the feel of the button on the 2500 to no button on the pathfinder. I find when using for correction timing is everything, so you have to be ready on the button and watching the dog, so go with your capability there.
BTW only negative comments I've read on the pathfinder have been made by those that don't have one... go with the one you want as both are good units.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:56 pm

That's a great point on the naysayers being those who don't have them.... I have experience with neither or any, but I know I have confidence in the Alpha (just because it seems to be the top dog in trainer/trackers from my reading) -- however, this dog training thing is pretty darn expensive and I still have lot's of other stuff to buy (bird launcher, roading harness, bike trailer lead, an outdoor dog run because this thing is killing me in the house :D , and I'm really feeling the need for a new shotgun to go with my cool new dog :twisted: ) in addition to the stuff I've already bought (the dog, $1000 in vet visits, collars, check cords, bumpers, cheweys, pinch collar, pigeon trap, 125 quail, a quail hutch, a quail fly pen, a ruff tuff kennel, puppy classes, books, etc., etc.....). I didn't really realize this dog & dog training thing was going to be a 5000+ dollar adventure. The $400 difference in the two would pay for everything else I still "need" to buy, but I HATE regretting purchases and feeling like I made a mistake. I'm leaning towards the pathfinder for that reason, but it's a significant purchase and important piece of equipment that I'll hopefully have for the next decade, so I don't want to cheap myself into a decision I'll regret.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Would love the screen on my phone. Hate the alpha screen. But I'd be concerned about wet conditions and battery life. My alpha will last a couple days, handles a pouring rain, and my phone is safe in my pocket in a ziplock.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Any insight into the statement I read somewhere on here that the Pathfinder is not as good of a training collar? If I'm willing to risk the phone safety and think I can manage the battery life....Am I giving up any capabilities as a training collar?

Also, can the Pathfinder be used off multiple phones so my wife could use her phone to track the dog when they go on woods walks, or does it only work to one phone?

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm

The unit on you connects by Bluetooth to your phone I believe. I would think you just download the app and connect to whatever phone. I'm just guessing.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:19 pm

I have used an Alpha extensively for the last two years. In the Training section of this forum I posted in response of a thread titled Training/Tracking GPS I think it was called. TxBarley started the thread and it is easy to find, so hopefully some good information for you there without retyping here.