Kennel or crate size question

Hdfilmmaker

Post by Hdfilmmaker » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:42 am

So I'm searching for two new kennels for my DDs. These dogs will got north of 85#. Does the dog box or kennel for travel need to be slightly smaller then larger? Do you want your dog more confined for the travel, or should they be able to stand and take a chance of falling abs getting hurt? Most sizes of dog boxes I've seen dimensions are 36x20x24 interior? Thoughts and opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakotazeb

Re: Kennel or crate size question

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:00 pm

The dimensions you listed would be for a Large kennel and I would think that would be about right for your 85# dogs. I use the Intermediate size for my Brittanys (35-40#). I know for travel the general rule is to not have it too big. But if the dog has to spend the night in it I prefer the dog to have a little more room. I'm sure other on here with larger dogs will chime in.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

tekoa

Re: Kennel or crate size question

Post by tekoa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:33 pm

I have a large Ruff Tough crate for my 85 pound Chessie. She can stand up, turn around and lay against either wall of the crate during travel. She's comfortable at night on just a floor pad. I use a small bolster on one side of the crate during travel to give her something to brace against. She's traveled more than 20,000 miles in that crate and always seems to have been comfortable and safe.

Your DDs are taller than my Chessie so I think a large crate (25" high on inside) is the smallest that will allow them to stand up and turn around.

Only downside to the large kennel is that it's heavy and awkward to carry.

Hdfilmmaker

Post by Hdfilmmaker » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Thank you for the replies. I think I'll go with a large for them. Have a Merry Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk