Whistle GPS Tracker

love2hunt

Whistle GPS Tracker

Post by love2hunt » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:14 am

I wanted to share my experience with a product that Susan Ross shared with me. It's called Whistle, a GPS device that you can attach to your dog's collar and track them from your smartphone. So far, I've only used it one day, but it saved me a lot of walking to look for my dad's squirrel dog. Its biggest limitation is that it requires cell service on your phone. When in service, though, it works great. There are a lot of unnecessary features for hunters (sharing to social media, activity trackers, etc.) but the piece of mind in being able to see the dog on the map is great. The best part is that it is a MUCH cheaper than a Garmin or SportDog GOS collar, assuming you already own a smartphone. I will still be getting an Alpha when I can afford it due to it relying on GPS and not cell service, but this will stand in until then.

http://www.whistle.com
love2hunt

ruffbritt4

Re: Whistle GPS Tracker

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Sounds like a good idea, but most of the places I hunt do not have cell service. Or if I go on a trip and don't know if I will have service it could be a huge risk.

Spy Car

Re: Whistle GPS Tracker

Post by Spy Car » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Does the Whistle GPS only track location, or will it provide one with miles covered and mph as well?

I'd like a device to track conditioning work.

Bill

love2hunt

Whistle GPS Tracker

Post by love2hunt » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Ruffbrit, it definitely has its limitations. The nice thing is that the collar is GPS, so when you're phone is back in service, you should be able to find the dog. Not as good as a Garmin, no doubt, but it's a more affordable stand in and better than no GPS at all.

Bill, I do not see any of those features in the app. It tracks how long they are active for, but that's it.
love2hunt