Help me find a BOOT

chwagn11

Help me find a BOOT

Post by chwagn11 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi I am so tired of boots that Leak, I have owned Danners, Cabelas, Under Armour, Rocky, LL Beans Kangaroo, and others all leak water the first time out in a field of thick grass and heavy dew. No it is not leaking down my legs as they are dry and my socks on my ankles are dry. My feet on the other hand are soaked. I have spent a small fortune trying to find a boot company which really makes a boot for a real hunter not just the once a year guy. Dew, I am convinced is worst than any stream crossing or puddle since it is all day long. Never found a waterproof boot. I had high hopes for my last Danners but that went out the window grouse hunting in Colorado with soaking wet feet.

Dakotazeb

Re: Help me find a BOOT

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:22 pm

I hear ya. I too, have never found a boot, other than rubber boots, that didn't get soaked through when walking in wet grass or wet heavy snow. No product like Gor-Tex or Dry-Plus has ever worked. Crossing a small stream, etc. is not problem but when the boots are in wet grass or snow for a continued time they are going to be wet. I've given up and bought a pair of rubber boots for those occasions. I don't like to wear them for very long due to the comfort level but my feet stay dry.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:19 pm

I always run Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP over any leather boots I own, even if they are labeled as waterproof. That Obenaufs does wonders for boots honestly. And really rub it into the seams good. You should be good to go. My 400 gram Thinsulate Danners, nor my uninsulated Cabelas Kangaroo Upland boots have ever leaked with it on.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Don't think I could be much help as I have owned several different brands and they all were water proof.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:13 am

ezzy333 wrote:Don't think I could be much help as I have owned several different brands and they all were water proof.
Mine too. I am thinking their feet may be sweating, rather than the boots leaking.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:03 am

birddogger wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Don't think I could be much help as I have owned several different brands and they all were water proof.
Mine too. I am thinking their feet may be sweating, rather than the boots leaking.

Charlie
That was my first thought also.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:52 am

ezzy333 wrote:
birddogger wrote:

Charlie
That was my first thought also.
Mine too. Ive had Rocky, Cabelas, Wolverine, Irish setter, and Carolinas. None of them have ever leaked while walking thru puddles and streams. Not until they were old and worn.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:32 pm

No problem with most any waterproof boot walking through puddles and an occasional stream. But take your boots out and walk for 30-60 minutes in some soaking wet grass/weeds and you will more than likely find you will have very wet feet. And it's not from sweating, it's from water penetration from the outside.

Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP is a good product but it will only help keep the water out so long.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Yup. All day in wet grass and weeds and sloppy snow and no boots or coatings has kept me dry.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:57 am

The boot must have a gore tex lining.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:13 am

reba wrote:The boot must have a gore tex lining.
The boots we are talking about all have Gore-Tex liners. Put on any boot with a Gore-Tex liner and walk in wet grass or wet snow for 30-60 minutes and you will have wet feet. I've owned virtually every brand over the years and in the conditions I stated above none of them kept my feet dry.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Gunner2292 wrote:I always run Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP over any leather boots I own, even if they are labeled as waterproof. That Obenaufs does wonders for boots honestly. And really rub it into the seams good. You should be good to go. My 400 gram Thinsulate Danners, nor my uninsulated Cabelas Kangaroo Upland boots have ever leaked with it on.
+1

Seriously, real leather boots are skin. They need to be cleaned and moisturized.

Glycerin soap and Obenaufs HD LP, like you stated, works the best.

I've got a pair of Russell's that have started their third decade. My feet have never been wet.

live4point

Post by live4point » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Treat your boots with Sno Seal if your boots are leather,ive tried about every other treatment out there and none of them do much,Sno Seal works.

3gsps

Post by 3gsps » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:05 pm

live4point wrote:Treat your boots with Sno Seal if your boots are leather,ive tried about every other treatment out there and none of them do much,Sno Seal works.
X2!!! the snow seal is the best out there, & I spend a lot of time outside for my job & for hunting!! never had a problem unless I had a hole in the boots to start with :roll:

carlrh42

Post by carlrh42 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:51 am

How do you explain gor-tex waders.

marc

Post by marc » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Try Schnee's Boots out of Bozeman, Montana. They are comfortable, waterproof, durable and....well....expensive. But you get what you pay for. Mine are 4 years old, and have been beat on from elk hunting in Colorado to bird hunting in the Northeast without a leak.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:40 am

iv had better luck with irish setter boots and have tried them all

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:13 am

Guided several years in all kinds of weather. Never had any Gore-Tex boots get soaked through. Currently in Danners for 4th season, keep them clean and put on a dryer every night. Sweat is the only reason the inside gets wet.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:59 am

What I have found to work best is a good boot, Irish setters, Meindls, LL Bean, and others with Goretex, NO insulation. Treat the boots with Obenaufs and at the end of the day use a boot drier. Perspiration builds up in the boot if not dried. If you use insulated boots perspiration is a real problem.
I have had damp feet after walking all day in wet grasses, and a good sock is also part of the equation.
I also like to have two pair of boots. One on the drier and the other on my feet.
The only thing that keeps my feet absolutely dry is a good rubber boot, and then I deal with perspiration.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:46 am

I really like wearing rubber boots, kind of like Muck boots only the last pair I bought was just Bass Pro/Red Head brand for about $35. I buy them slightly big, and add arch support inserts and wear two pairs of heavy socks. most of the places I hunt have mucky areas, and my feet stay dry and comfortable.