Bike Tow Leash

41magsnub

Bike Tow Leash

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:11 pm

http://www.biketowleash.com

Maddie the GWP is now almost 2 years old and it is time to step up the physical training a bit. Many weekdays I don't have time to do a long hike with the dog so my backup has always been a chuck-it thrower in the park to wear her out some. It works great, but I don't get any exercise out of it.

Now that the weather is getting nicer and their is some daylight in the evenings, I want to road the dog some. I live in the suburbs with miles and miles of nicely paved roads with very light traffic so the bike is the best answer. I wanted to do something better than holding a leash on the handlebars or rigging up something for bike joring. I need better control of the dog than those can do since I'm in town. I read reviews on the springer and walky dog, but they were pretty mixed and I didn't like how they attached to the bike. The best looking one was the Bike Tow Leash, but wow - it cost 2-3x as much.

I decided Maddie was worth it and bought the thing.

It attaches at the rear wheel and took all of a minute to install. It has a rigid tube attached to the bike on flexible mount. In the tube is a bungie cord that attaches to the dog. It keeps the dog at "heel" on your left side. The directions say to use the collar, not a harness. The reasoning is with a harness there is enough freedom of movement for the dog to get in the way of the bike. I was not comfortable just using her collar, so I am using a harness and it seems fine to me.

We have been using it since last Saturday and it is fantastic. We both have a great time. Maddie had it figured out within 50 feet and was pulling me down the alley. She looks like a doggie sidecar! On our rides thus far she has tried to go her own way to check out another dog or the rooster that she spotted in the ditch, but she was yanked right back to where she was supposed to be. Since it attaches to the bike down low, she isn't able to pull me over. I'm in complete control of the bike and the dog. The best way I can describe it is like I am riding an old moped that still had pedals.

tjsnipehunter

Re: Bike Tow Leash

Post by tjsnipehunter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Nice review. I was just wondering if there was something like this that was safe for both dog and rider. I love to ride my bike but figured I'd be doing it a lot less with my new pup, a gwp also. Wish it were a little less but it might be something I'll need by the end of this summer.

Tim

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Good call on the Bike Tow Leash. I have had the "Springer" system for many years, but I think that yours looks like it would work better. Stick with the harness. If you are connected at the collar it could get ugly. Bad things can happen fast on the bike.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:13 pm

I think I can see why they recommend the collar and am interested why you don't feel comfortable using it? But what ever works!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:21 pm

tjsnipehunter wrote:Nice review. I was just wondering if there was something like this that was safe for both dog and rider. I love to ride my bike but figured I'd be doing it a lot less with my new pup, a gwp also. Wish it were a little less but it might be something I'll need by the end of this summer.

Tim

I have a Walky Dog that was $46.00 from Amazon. I don't think its as nice as this bike tow leash looks, but I've had a lot of success with it the last 6 months. Instead of clamping to the back tire it clamps on the seat post, so if the dog does stray a little it doesn't drag your bike around either.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:29 pm

They make harnesses that have a D ring over the shoulders rather than at the rear. I would think that they would be a little safer for this application.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:37 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think I can see why they recommend the collar and am interested why you don't feel comfortable using it? But what ever works!

Ezzy
Two reasons - 1) is there would be a fairly constant pull to the right on her neck 2) if she trips or stumbles and gets a hard jerk forward it the pressure point would be on her head and could cause a neck injury.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:40 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think I can see why they recommend the collar and am interested why you don't feel comfortable using it? But what ever works!

Ezzy
There are too many unexpected things that can happen when you are clipping along with the dog attached. Unexpected bolting after a rabbit or squirrel, traffic, other bikes, and other dogs to name few. Anything that can cause a wreck on a bike is multiplied when you hook a dog on. If I go down or the dog goes down I would rather have him dragged by the harness than possibly breaking his neck.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 pm

MJB64 wrote:There are too many unexpected things that can happen when you are clipping along with the dog attached. Unexpected bolting after a rabbit or squirrel, traffic, other bikes, and other dogs to name few....
From experience. I have tried roading 2 different dogs off bikes. After a couple weeks (each time) I was dumped and have broken two hands because of it. IMHO...NOT worth the risk. Sorry.

maximus1

Post by maximus1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:50 pm

Have the walkydog set up with two clamps on the seat post so I can road 1 or 2 dogs at the same time, whichever I choose. This will be my 3rd year using this system and have had cats, dogs, rabbits etc run around them and never came close to going down. Dogs get used to this and it doesn't take them long to ignore critters. I never hook to their collars.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:08 pm

I just wonder why they are all on the left side. if you they would put it on the right side, the dog could run on th grassy part of the bike trails and not rub the feet raw.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 pm

I've been using the WalkyDog to run my GSP for about 7 months. It's great and I don't know what I would do without it. We've encountered squirrels, birds, other dogs, etc and haven't had any issues but I am 6'1 / 190# and ride a 25# bike (the dog is 55#). I could potentially see an issue with someone smaller or who wasn't real comfortable on a bike. We mostly stick to double tracks and short sections of road I need to travel to get to trails. Here's a video of us riding, this was shot soon after I got the walkydog. It didn't take long to get comfortable but I make sure to always be ready for the unexpected.

http://youtu.be/hfJU-lv6kl0

maximus1

Post by maximus1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 pm

[quote="Munster"]I just wonder why they are all on the left side. if you they would put it on the right side, the dog could run on th grassy part of the bike trails and not rub the feet raw.[/quote

Walky dog can be used on either side of the bike. If I road 1 dog it's on the right, 2 dogs 1 on each side

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 am

We had our first minor incident yesterday. A little history... Maddie has no fight or dominance behavior in her at all. She is not timid or shy. She is very outgoing and approaches everybody assuming they want to play. However, if another dog is aggressive or shows dominance behavior, Maddie will instantly submit or try to run away. I've never seen her hackles or heard her growl for real.

Some kind of husky mix lunged at us on the bike yesterday from the left side. Maddie managed to get on the right side of the bike trying to get away from it. The rigid bar went over the top of the rack and it was almost enough leverage to dump the bike... almost. We were going slow and I was able to plant my feet to stay upright.

markjj

Post by markjj » Thu May 03, 2018 4:51 am

I also recently mastered it and even started to tune a little.

markjj

Post by markjj » Thu May 03, 2018 4:56 am

I also recently mastered it and even started to tune a little.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Fri May 04, 2018 11:29 am

I made my own for two dogs on my mountain bike. Ran a piece of PVC across the back an o ring in each end. Connected a bungee cord to the o rings and latches to the ends. Works great! I ride a trail and when I get away from other riders I let them run free. Just thought I would post if anyone is cheap like me!
Doyle

Mike da Carpenter

Post by Mike da Carpenter » Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 pm

ddoyle wrote:I made my own for two dogs on my mountain bike. Ran a piece of PVC across the back an o ring in each end. Connected a bungee cord to the o rings and latches to the ends. Works great! I ride a trail and when I get away from other riders I let them run free. Just thought I would post if anyone is cheap like me!

How about a couple pictures of your setup?

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sun May 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Sorry! Had to put it back together after winter... I replaced the bungees with rubber straps after dogs got more confident. Also, I am a BIG guy who has Vizslas not much worry of them yanking!
Dog PVC 1.jpg
Dog PVC 2.jpg
Dog PVC 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun May 06, 2018 8:45 pm

My dog would break a 1 inch pvc. also rip the end off a bungee tarp strap. Dog is well mannered. One time she just had to poop. Slamed on the brakes and flipped me. No more bikes at all.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon May 07, 2018 8:14 am

They are well mannered. Didn’t just leap to it though..did some walking to show correct behavior
Doyle

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 pm

mtlhdr wrote:I've been using the WalkyDog to run my GSP for about 7 months. It's great and I don't know what I would do without it. We've encountered squirrels, birds, other dogs, etc and haven't had any issues but I am 6'1 / 190# and ride a 25# bike (the dog is 55#). I could potentially see an issue with someone smaller or who wasn't real comfortable on a bike. We mostly stick to double tracks and short sections of road I need to travel to get to trails. Here's a video of us riding, this was shot soon after I got the walkydog. It didn't take long to get comfortable but I make sure to always be ready for the unexpected.

http://youtu.be/hfJU-lv6kl0
I'm still running my GSP several times per week with the WalkyDog Plus. We love it. I've had two harmless low-speed "crashes," both of which were my fault. At some point the original paracord frayed and I replaced it with some heavy-duty paracord. I think unleashed dogs (which we rarely encounter) are our biggest concern now, but I can quickly unhook Chance if I see one coming. We use the LCS deluxe padded roading harness. I still don't know what I would do without this bike set up.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:17 am

I read this thread and immediately got excited that this would be great for me....but then had the thought that it looks like that thing sticks way out from your bike. I ride a lot of single track. I'd like to have something to control my dog in the more public areas until I get out into the sticks a ways, then let him run. My concern is, on tight single track, this thing looks like I'd hook a bunch of trees and kill myself or my bike. Is that an accurate concern? Or does it fold away tight somehow....or how do you handle that? Or is it just not for use with my kind of biking?
I haven't had my dog out with me biking yet. If this doesn't work, my thought is just leashing from my handlebars with his pinch collar so he learns not to pull.... but that seems dangerous for me and the dog.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:05 pm

This works for me as I run her on rails ti trail or old canal trails. In your area depending on how people are there I would use it to get to single track then let the dog run. Or you could make it more robust put an elbow in it so more behind the bike. I made it that wide to keep them away from the tires. Really more than anything just a way to control dogs around roads and people. Good luck!
Doyle

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 pm

ddoyle wrote:This works for me as I run her on rails ti trail or old canal trails. In your area depending on how people are there I would use it to get to single track then let the dog run. Or you could make it more robust put an elbow in it so more behind the bike. I made it that wide to keep them away from the tires. Really more than anything just a way to control dogs around roads and people. Good luck!
Yep...that was my original interest, to use it to get past the people and unleash him when I get to single track area..... I just wonder if I'll catch a tree with that thing on my bike and kill me or my bike. If it comes off easy enough, I could just take it off and hide it in the woods somewhere?

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:02 pm

It is just on the back with a bolt and a wing nuts so no problem taking off. If you have back pack could throw rubber straps etc...in and leave the PVC. Really if you lose PVC no big deal.
Doyle

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:48 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:but then had the thought that it looks like that thing sticks way out from your bike. I ride a lot of single track. I'd like to have something to control my dog in the more public areas until I get out into the sticks a ways, then let him run. My concern is, on tight single track, this thing looks like I'd hook a bunch of trees and kill myself or my bike. Is that an accurate concern? Or does it fold away tight somehow....or how do you handle that? Or is it just not for use with my kind of biking?
Check out the WalkyDog Plus. It has a quick release system that functions very well. When you're ready to ride the single track pop the stem and roading harness in a back pack and you're set and nothing sticks out. Takes seconds. When you need to road the dog, pop it back in and you're back in business. Two comments re the walkydog, keep your eye on the paracord (it'll wear out eventually) and make sure the clamp is very tight on your seat stem.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:34 pm

mtlhdr wrote:Check out the WalkyDog Plus. It has a quick release system that functions very well. When you're ready to ride the single track pop the stem and roading harness in a back pack and you're set and nothing sticks out. Takes seconds. When you need to road the dog, pop it back in and you're back in business. Two comments re the walkydog, keep your eye on the paracord (it'll wear out eventually) and make sure the clamp is very tight on your seat stem.
That sounds excellent.... I'm going to check that out! Much appreciated.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:21 pm

mtlhdr wrote:Check out the WalkyDog Plus. It has a quick release system that functions very well. When you're ready to ride the single track pop the stem and roading harness in a back pack and you're set and nothing sticks out. Takes seconds. When you need to road the dog, pop it back in and you're back in business. Two comments re the walkydog, keep your eye on the paracord (it'll wear out eventually) and make sure the clamp is very tight on your seat stem.
Thanks mtlhdr....I looked this up. I think that is a perfect answer for me. Doesn't seem quite as safe for a person in a wide open area, but for someone like me who needs to remove and pack the hitch, it seems perfect. Much appreciated!

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sat May 04, 2019 10:40 pm

https://youtu.be/9BsSzbc2zBE

Exercising the dog and entertaining the kid...

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 pm

I had a "Springer" bike attachment for quite a while years ago, was great exercise for dogs and operator, until...

We were on a bike path which was up on a hill above a slope that dropped down to a roadway, I was riding a fairly lightweight racing bike with dog attached to the Springer unit, someone came out quickly from behind a bush on the dog's opposite side (don't want to know what the person was doing in the bush, not relevant to the story <G>) and my dog was so startled he made a big leap sideways dragging me and the rear of the bike off the path to the edge of the slope - which consisted of loose dirt and gravel, thus breaking away from our weight - and we all slid down the slope onto the road. Good news was dog, bike, and I were all OK with no cars coming past just then! Interesting as that dog had a rock-solid temperament, not spooky at all, he just happened to get surprised by someone jumping out of a bush as we were rolling along at a good gaiting clip.

Moral of the story, if you choose to use a dog-attachment device on your bike you definitely need a reliable breakaway device (which didn't work in the situation above, though I had one in place) and use extra care with a strong dog and a lightweight bike ;-) And don't believe that a hefty bike rider will stabilize the bike if a dog gives a big jerk sideways, the tires on bikes are only in contact with the ground in a small area and the bike rider is not keeping weight directly over the rear axle of the bike.