What kind of camera to buy

Troy08er

What kind of camera to buy

Post by Troy08er » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Just started looking for a compact camera to use in the field. What camera are you guys using or wish you had. I'm just starting out and been looking at the Canon G10. I can pick this up for around $300-400 range. Looking to take fast action pictures. Thanks
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

brad27

Re: What kind of camera to buy

Post by brad27 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Troy, all the pictures in this thread were taken with the G9 except the last one. It is a good camera, but does have its limitations.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=34029

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:23 pm

[quote="brad27"]Troy, all the pictures in this thread were taken with the G9 except the last one. It is a good camera, but does have its limitations.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=34029[/quotBrad nice pics,Is the g10 a step up. I really don't want to add a lot more weight & bulk. Thanks
Last edited by Troy08er on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Pentax and Olympus have a camera that is waterproof up to so many feet, shock,dust,crush proof.
My buddy has the pentax and was showing me some pics on it. Looked good to my eye. Had some cool features also.
Personally I think I would want something like this for carrying in the field.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 pm

ROTTnBRITT wrote:Pentax and Olympus have a camera that is waterproof up to so many feet, shock,dust,crush proof.
My buddy has the pentax and was showing me some pics on it. Looked good to my eye. Had some cool features also.
Do you know the model #. & price. I'm just starting out don't want to break the bank just yet on my first camera.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:39 pm

I think the current model is the G12. The electronics are faster in the new models. They are excellent cameras for still remaining compact enough to carry around easily.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:55 pm

Troy

These were taken with a $150 fits in my pocket Samsung

This was taken with a $700 Nikon slr + lens ++++

I love the nice camera for taking pictures but I end up taking the small one in my pocket with me more than the big one. My sister has the g12 and it takes great pictures, I think it is a bit better for low light than the g10 but the g10 will probably be more than enough for taking pictures of the dogs in the field.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:56 pm

For a pocket-sized daily, never notice carry along...Casio Exilim G EX-G1.
Tough, element-proof and takes fair photos...uses the mini-chip.
Takes the dust of a pocket in stride.
A higher quality Panasonic without the fixed lens lasted 2 pheasant trips.
All depends upon use and demands tho.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Troy08er wrote:
ROTTnBRITT wrote:Pentax and Olympus have a camera that is waterproof up to so many feet, shock,dust,crush proof.
Do you know the model #. & price. I'm just starting out don't want to break the bank just yet on my first camera.
The Olympus is TOUGH TG-1 iHS, 399.99 on website.
Pentax is Optio WG-1 198.00 at Amazon.com.

Not certain about what each model has. I think there are different levels of each model.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks do think the G10 will handle the fast action pictures. Lets say clear pictures of a dog on point and covey breaking.
Garrison wrote:Troy

These were taken with a $150 fits in my pocket Samsung

This was taken with a $700 Nikon slr + lens ++++

I love the nice camera for taking pictures but I end up taking the small one in my pocket with me more than the big one. My sister has the g12 and it takes great pictures, I think it is a bit better for low light than the g10 but the g10 will probably be more than enough for taking pictures of the dogs in the field.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:23 pm

I would have Brad look at it for you. He knows a little about this kind of thing even if he pretends not to. But I am sure it will be plenty of camera.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Troy, I have found the G9 to be a little slow for action pics. It is hard to keep up with moving subjects sometimes with the auto focus. Shooting in continuous mode is not that great either. You get (Normal: approx. 1.5 fps; AF: approx. 0.7 fps) with the G9 and (Normal: approx. 1.3 fps; AF: approx. 0.7 fps) with the G10. It really is nice to have at least 2 frames per second for action work. That being said, it still does work ok. The two pics I took of those dogs turned out fine. For what you want to do it should work.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:57 pm

brad27 wrote:Troy, I have found the G9 to be a little slow for action pics. It is hard to keep up with moving subjects sometimes with the auto focus. Shooting in continuous mode is not that great either. You get (Normal: approx. 1.5 fps; AF: approx. 0.7 fps) with the G9 and (Normal: approx. 1.3 fps; AF: approx. 0.7 fps) with the G10. It really is nice to have at least 2 frames per second for action work. That being said, it still does work ok. The two pics I took of those dogs turned out fine. For what you want to do it should work.
So the g9 would better suited that the g10. K, I'll start looking for minimum 2.0 , Brad, do know off hand what I should be looking at.Thanks
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:02 pm

get the G10 if you can. It is better.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Any of the point and shoots give trouble with the time delay on the autofocus. The G series have been better than most I have tried, but they are still notorious on fast moving subjects. The manual focus on the G12 is quick to access and relatively easy to operate.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:28 pm

I took these with a DSLR: a Canon Rebel T2i with a Canon L-series 70-200 lens with image stabilization. If you're going to get serious about taking fast close-ups, you need to think about a DSLR instead of a point-and-shoot. I'll admit, though, that I haven't looked at point-and-shoots in some time, and their capabilities are always improving exponentially.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Another:

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 pm

SpinoneIllinois wrote:Another:

Nice pics. I just don't want the bulk and weight of the big cameras. Being a foot hunter,I'm already caring water for the dog,GPS,remote for e-collar,shells,first aid and more than likely a limit of quail and chukar :D.. Just looking for something a lot nicer than my cell phone in the 300-500 range.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:30 pm

I've seen some pix shot with the G12, which you can probably find in that price range, and they're pretty "bleep" good. The real selling point is the video. The video is remarkable for a camera that fits in your pocket. Get yourself one of those tiny tripods, set it on the ground when your dog goes on point, then go about your business of flushing the bird and post us some video!

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks, that's the route I'm leaning towards.
SpinoneIllinois wrote:I've seen some pix shot with the G12, which you can probably find in that price range, and they're pretty "bleep" good. The real selling point is the video. The video is remarkable for a camera that fits in your pocket. Get yourself one of those tiny tripods, set it on the ground when your dog goes on point, then go about your business of flushing the bird and post us some video!
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 pm

This is an interesting thread, as I have also been looking for a camera. Without much idea of where to start.

Anyone know much about something like this?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20549793?adid ... la&veh=sem

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:38 pm

That looks like a fine camera too, Coop. Has the critical features I'd be looking for, HD video and image stabilization, plenty of resolution. But if you're going to go compact, and that's roughly what you're looking to spend, I'd look at this one, too: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-10.1-MP ... 1/20553619

For $20 more, you'd probably get a better-quality camera that's smarter and more user-friendly. I've just always been a Canon guy, since my first AE-1 about 25 years ago, and have never had a problem. I think Canon is making the best cameras right now, followed by Nikon. There's a reason the pros stick with those two.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 pm

I just started looking for a compact camera to use in the field.
A G12 (or 9 or 10 etc) is far from compact IMO, at least it's not going to just slip in your pocket. Personally for hunting I want either my good DSL which I typically pack when I'm not packing my gun and others are doing the shooting or I pack a true compact (Panasonic LX3) that fits in my pocket. Generally the top dog "photographer's" compacts (i.e. what to pack when not packing the DSLR) are the Panasonic LX5, the Canon S100 or the Nikon P7100 - I carry a Panasonic LX3 (now the LX5) and luv, luv, luv it. Truly compact, pocket size, shoots RAW files, excellent lens with widest angle for the class makes for excellent landscapes. Zoom not great but loads of zoom not necessary for good pics, especially if you're shooting big RAW files.

A couple new ones in the category are the Fuji X10 (i.e. "the LX3 killer") which I almost pulled the trigger on a few months ago but didn't like that it pretty much took two handed operation (I like being able to one hand a compact camera out hunting because I usually have something else in my other hand - a transmitter, gun, tele receiver, etc.). A new one I think I'm going to buy for my wife is the Sony DSC RX100 coming out next month. Should have excellent low light performance with f/1.8, shoots RAW, great lens...and I know how to process the Sony RAW files. :wink:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/fujifi ... jifilm_x10
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/06 ... ple-images

Those 5 would be my top pics for a truly compact, top level photo enthusiasts camera.

Some pics from my LX3:

If you really want to capture decently crisp birds in flight, you honestly will have to go with a DSL. You can set your compact up to rifle off a bunch of pics but the quality is typically very poor, extremely noisy and really just tend to look like blobs in the sky. Shot these with my Sony A700, 70-300mm lens:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:46 pm

My father has a Fuji. It works OK, but it is larger than my G series, is less sharp in the corners, has a strong red bias and seems to be slower on the autofocus. So, I think there is value in the extra money if you have it.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:15 am

Question:

What about the small hand held video cameras that have the photo button you can fire during a videlo?
They seem practical, small and get action. I have never owned one but keep wondering if it would do the trick or is the quality to poor in the photo?

Thanks,
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:00 am

Hi there Troy. Being an avid action photog myself, I'd say that the best way to get a handle on what you want to shoot with is to ask yourself what kind of shots you want to take. The Canon G series cameras are brilliant, but if you want to shoot more action type shots, the point and shoot cameras will fall short and you'll have to look at DSLR's. For lighweight top quality point and shoot, there's not a lot that beats the G series canons.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 am

I like the Nikon L110. It is a nice crossover camera. Not a DSLR but not just a point and click digital camera either. It is a cross between the 2 and graded out very highly on all the internet research I did on it before I bought it. It runs about $200 and it has a continuous sport setting for action shots, 15X zoom, HD video capability, and many many other settings that I don't quite understand or use a lot as an amatuer photographer. I believe Fuji has a model comparable to the L110 but with an 18X zoom but from everything I read in my research Nikon's internal parts and motors were more durable and faster. Not to mention the lenses were higher quality.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 am

Here are some pics I shot with it.

img]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17 ... CN1024.jpg[/img]

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:05 am

Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:06 am

Nice.
tommyboy72 wrote:Here are some pics I shot with it.

img]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17 ... CN1024.jpg[/img]

Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:11 am

Anyone have any experience with the Nikon p510? Am I too hung up on zoom?

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:06 pm

I have the Canon EOS Rebel T2i, it takes great pictures and the more you know about the camera and the more you figure out how to work the camera, the better pictures you're going to take. This camera takes great pictures. The 18-55mm lens that comes with the kit is a great lens but if you're looking to take action photos, it's definitely worth investing in an action photo lens such as the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM which is a great lens for action photos.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:41 pm

I don't think you can be without at least one point and shoot camera - especially for hunting. I had an Olympus "Tough" camera that was absolutely awesome in the field and even underwater. When it finally died, I wanted to get the latest model but ALL the tough cameras out right now are getting terrible reviews so I'd steer clear - at least for awhile. In the meantime, we picked up a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 and it's been great for a pocket camera and has plenty of zoom (12x optical). We picked up the Panasonic from Costco for $250ish and I would buy another one if needed a small point and shoot.

That being said, I'm in the market for a DSLR. I know they're bulky and that there will be a learning curve but I LOVE taking pics in the field (and everywhere else for that matter). That G12 might just be the best of both worlds thought so I'll take a look at those too....

lovemypooch

Post by lovemypooch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:51 pm

Man this camera http://amzn.to/1jifZb7 is awesome! I like to hang it around my shoulder/neck with the strap, so i keep it safe behind my back until i need it, then I can whip it out quickly. Plus the UV filter is a must for outdoors. The pictures are amazing!!

augus

Post by augus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:54 am

I have had an Nikon for a few month with no issues..

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:06 pm

Troy08er wrote:Just started looking for a compact camera to use in the field. What camera are you guys using or wish you had. I'm just starting out and been looking at the Canon G10. I can pick this up for around $300-400 range. Looking to take fast action pictures. Thanks
There are a number of cameras that will fit your specs and lots of camera forums with guys that are very well versed in all the models and specs.

When I was looking for a dslr body for digiscoping (it replaces tripod mounted binos and spotting scopes for.big game hunting), they had me on the best in the market are where to get the best deal.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Great thread and photos!

Grant

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:51 am

AAA Gundogs wrote:
Troy08er wrote:Just started looking for a compact camera to use in the field. What camera are you guys using or wish you had. I'm just starting out and been looking at the Canon G10. I can pick this up for around $300-400 range. Looking to take fast action pictures. Thanks
There are a number of cameras that will fit your specs and lots of camera forums with guys that are very well versed in all the models and specs.

When I was looking for a dslr body for digiscoping (it replaces tripod mounted binos and spotting scopes for.big game hunting), they had me on the best in the market are where to get the best deal.
What are the specific advantages of digiscoping over regular use of the spotting scope? Just seems like a lot of extra equipment to pack around. I don't need a digital image file when scouting/spotting.