Truck bed drawers

Munster

Truck bed drawers

Post by Munster » Mon May 07, 2012 9:26 pm

I bought a new truck and am wanting to put the drawers in the bed. I think the bed is 5.5 ft. I know I want drawers that are 2 ft wide and 7 inches tall.

Does anyone want to share any of their plans? Pictures, drawings.

Thanks
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Munster

Re: Truck bed drawers

Post by Munster » Tue May 08, 2012 8:54 am

Hmm, no one has one of these huh?
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 pm

www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 pm

I made my own truck bed drawers. The box is 5' long and 4' wide and made from plywood. The drawers just slide in on either side of the center divider, I had planned on putting UHWM strips on the underside of the drawers but they slide OK without them. I used small-head trim screws to put everything together. I used a router with a 1/2" rabbeting bit to mill 1/8" deep dado slots in the top and bottom of the box for the center divider. That way the box is kept square and rigid at all times - and it will support a LOT of weight. I have it sitting on top of some strips of that rot-proof plastic trim so if water gets into the bed it won't soak into the wood. I put some trap door pulls flush with the top and use turnbuckles to strap the dog crate down on opposite corners. When I added the second crate, I used bungee cords to strap the second crate to the first. They don't move at all. I also built a plywood partition which nests on the one side for water bottles - it holds 3 Arizona Iced Tea bottles perfectly.

This is the only picture I have of the drawers with the crates:

About a year after I built the drawer box, I made a lock for the drawers. I had been using a cable lock looped through the trap door and handle pulls, which was a pain in the rear. This drawer lock works much easier, I can swing it up out of the way to open the drawers, and put a padock through it to lock it. So guns and ammo & gear are a little more complicated and time consuming for a thief to get to, and this way I avoid potential trouble here in NJ because ammo needs to be in a locked container. Yes, don't remind me. NJ blows. I know.

I was thinking of making the locks to sell, but I don't think anyone would pay what it cost to make, let alone what it would cost if I was to make any money on it.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Mary, here's a link that ought to keep you busy for a while. :D

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... light=rear storage

You aren't going to get a lot of plans for a box, since everyone makes their's special to fit in so many different vehicles. With that thread, you can obviously get pretty complicated, but a 2 drawer system like we had is pretty easy to build. Don't look at the finished project and get overwhelmed, but look at the components and where you need to start.

reba

Post by reba » Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 pm

I started with 150 pound drawer slides (they come in different lengths).

Wood is very heavy, so the drawer is made out of aluminum. A good sheet metal shop can fix you up.

The frame is made out of wood.

The drawer face is aluminum diamond plate.

The latch and lock is the same one used to close the back lid of a truck cap.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Reba - how much $$ do you have into yours?

desullivan

Post by desullivan » Sun May 13, 2012 9:42 am

I found some great plans/photos/instructions for truck bed box from Michigan Sportsmans forum. Made mine based on those instructions.

reba

Post by reba » Mon May 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Maybe $250; however time, time, time, time and more time. Planning, more planning and drawing and more of all.

BTY I bolted the box down using the truck bed bolts, which also requires planning so you can get to the bolts.

I'd post pictures but don't have a clue.

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Sun May 20, 2012 1:12 pm

OP, Your post got the wheels turning and ideas rolling for making a drawer unit in my truck, but I have to get a cap first. I have a 2010 Tacoma short bed, so these measurements are for that width, but you should be able to add or subtract where needed. I am planning on using 3/4" Birch plywood for most of it, then 1/2' Birch plywood for the internal dividers in the drawers. The triangular stiffeners are just pieces of 2x4's cut to fit. For the frame in between the 2 drawers I will sandwich 2 pieces of 3/4" together. I will be using ball bearing sliders which so far I have found run $120-150 each. Quite a price but they will take the weight and slide with ease. I may have to use a dado bit or possibly router to recess the sliders depending on the their thickness so I can maximize drawer space. For the locks I haven't found exactly which I will use and that will probably be the hardest part in cutting out the pieces there. Hopefully these drawing and dimensions help out, used a generic pic of Tacoma bed so you can see somewhat how it will look upon completion. Going to put carpet on the top to help with sliding and what not. Can up the overall height depending on the height of truck cap and what size dog crate you have to fit in between. Good luck.
Pics are too large to load here, can also see them at http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/view ... 64#p168064

reba

Post by reba » Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 am

seacowboy

Very nice design, EXCEPT it will be very, very heavy before you store any gear.

Heavy duty for sure, but all that 3/4 ply is going to weight a ton.