Mad as a hornet about leaky boots...

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Mad as a hornet about leaky boots...

Post by wems2371 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:28 pm

Yesterday, hunting in the rain, was evidently the first true test of my latest pair of hunting boots...and they failed miserably. I never stepped in water, but just walked a field for 2+ hours. It wasn't in a monsoon, but a gentle rain if you will, and I came out with soaked socks. It didn't wick down my socks, as I had to prove to my husband :roll: , as my socks were bone dry above the ankle. I was wearing chaps too. He also felt my socks, because I'm pretty sure he thought it was just sweat. :roll: Wrong--I could have wrung them out, they were that wet! Both boots leaked, so it wasn't like I had somehow damaged one. I've had these boots just over 3 months, and only worn them for the past 2 months. :x These were Itasca's Intrepid 400gram, with Aqua Plus Waterproof Breathable System, and 100% Waterproof according to the tag. At $99 they were fairly inexpensive, but that's besides the point. Waterproof should be waterproof, for at least a reasonable amount of time, and I think it should be reasonable to hunt in a light rain or dewey conditions. I don't have a real problem if a pair of $100 boots makes it a year, like my Irish Setter Ladyhawks or Rocky Bearclaws did, but this is the 2nd pair that made it less than 60 days (LaCrosse being the other pair). I have an email out for the store's return policy, and will at minimum contact the manufacturer, but am sorely disappointed yet again. My husband is insistent that I need to stick with Goretex and buy a more expensive pair--kind of the get what you pay for idea. I'm fairly gunshy of spending more money, only to get the same results.

Who makes a pair of boots that stands behind the "waterproof" claim or you swear by? Women's styles would be nice for proper fit. Hoping for tried and true suggestions, as I hunt a couple times a week during season, preseason scout a couple times a week, and train a few times a week.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Mad as a hornet about leaky boots...

Post by ACooper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:11 pm

What has the world come too when $100 can't buy a decent pair of boots... Regardless of price, if the boots are advertised as waterproof then they "bleep" well should be! Nothing pisses me off more than slogging around with wet feet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:09 pm

I have had excellent results ordering from Sportsman Guide. They have several kinds and sell many of them for under 70 dollars. I have a pair of Browning boots that I waded water with a few days ago and a pair of Pocky's that have more insulation but both are waterproof and comfortable.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:19 pm

If you don't mind a slip on boot, you can get a pair of Muck boots for around 100.00. I love mine and they are totally water proof and surprisingly comfortable. I also have a pair of Irish setters for rougher and/or hilly terrain. I have had them a couple of years and have waded water in them and they haven't leaked yet.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I have some research to do. :wink: One of the suggestions I got by PM, was rubber lowers and lace-up uppers. Since I'm usually not in deep water, except occasionally when duck training, that might be a good idea.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:25 pm

Danner, or lowa boots are worth the money. Same pair 2 years almost every day and haven't had that problem yet. If your not satisfied with danners call and they will fix the problem ASAP.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:53 am

Ive worn IrishSetter/redwingboots for 15+ years and have yet to have a pair advertised as waterproof leak on me. I am currently abusing a pair of their 9in upland boots for the 5th year that has yet to leak even though the leather is starting to crack at the flex points. Through some incentives at a part time job I had I bought a pair of Danner Sharptails that I have been wearing off and on over the last 6mo and they have been OK.

If you are gona spend anytime in the field in wet or soggy conditions it pays to spend a little more money and get a good pair of boots.

I refuse to wear rubber slip on boots, but the rubber lower lace up leather upper boots aren't too bad other than most dont seem to have great traction.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:30 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:Ive worn IrishSetter/redwingboots for 15+ years and have yet to have a pair advertised as waterproof leak on me. I am currently abusing a pair of their 9in upland boots for the 5th year that has yet to leak even though the leather is starting to crack at the flex points. Jim
You're mentioning of cracking at the flex points is exactly what happened to me. I never wore them but in the field or for training, and they wore out on either side of the toe flex crease. I liked them for comfort, but they only made it a little over a year before soaking my feet. I have a friend who has the exact same pair in camo, and hers are probably 2 years old now, but she's not in the field much at all and hers still don't even look broke in. My friend that I'm going to go hunt with on Thursday, says her local Scheel's has a bunch of women's I.S. on clearance right now. So if they have my size, I may give them another chance, with few expectations for the cheap price. Until then, I may be wearing breadbags! :D

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:19 am

Nothing worse than wet feet. Most gortex boots will stand up to an occasional stream crossing but walking in wet grass all day is a lot different. Rubber is about the only boot that is going be totally waterproof but I haven't found a pair that are comfortable to wear all day.

I quit worrying about the advertised breathing qualities of my leather/gortex boots and started treating the leather with SnoSeal. Most boots have a wicking liner anyway and I wear a pair of good wicking socks so a little sweat isn't a big deal. I also rotate my boots daily and make sure they have a chance to dry thourghly before wearing again. Treating the leather doesn't make them completely waterproof but it helps.

Try staying away from the combination boots with leather/cordura uppers. They seem to leak worse than the all leather boots. I also stay away from the moccasin toe boots like these, the more stiching the more holes for leaks;

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeIma ... tId=748553

I own a pair of the leather upper/rubber bottom boots also. Good for training and walking the perimeter of a muddy field but the traction isn't to good for climbing steep banks.

My next pair will likely be these with the air-bob sole. Probably collect more mud but provide a little better traction.

http://www.schnees.com/product/2712/sch ... ting-boots

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

bently

Post by bently » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:03 pm

When you look at the rubber lower and leather upper, take a look at the Maine hunting boot sold by LL Bean. I just got a pair a couple of weeks ago and haven't been wet yet but they are promising and are made in Maine. Have different styles including gortex. Not that pricey (under $200)

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:33 pm

I stand by my muck boots. We spend the day driving deer and then take the dog out to work on sunday. I have yet to have a leak without a cut of some sort. They are shin high and well insulated. I can wade the creeks and then the lake and never an issue. Get a boot that you are comfortable with. I will not shy from my Muck's. Everyone in our hunting club owns them.

Joe

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Ditto on the Muck Boots

My danners shrunk when they got wet..So I will be sending them in yet again the first time was for faulty stitching which caused a ball up of material over my little toe other then that they are nice and light

So for real waterproof and light boots with a comfortable sole Muck Boots is the way to go
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:14 pm

I love my mucks but the last pair the soles came unglued within 6 months.....not happy.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:20 pm

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Mucks are nice and I wouldn't mind owning a pair, their sizing left me stranded in between to little and to large. If I'm going to be in them all day I wanted a pair that fit properly. Only thing worse than wet boots is a pair that don't fit.

Coveyrise64
kninebirddog wrote:Ditto on the Muck Boots

My danners shrunk when they got wet..So I will be sending them in yet again the first time was for faulty stitching which caused a ball up of material over my little toe other then that they are nice and light

So for real waterproof and light boots with a comfortable sole Muck Boots is the way to go
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:Mucks are nice and I wouldn't mind owning a pair, their sizing left me stranded in between to little and to large. If I'm going to be in them all day I wanted a pair that fit properly. Only thing worse than wet boots is a pair that don't fit.
Coveyrise64
Go with the larger size and find some arch inserts that feel good to you and take up the extra space... Ahhhhhhhhh.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:35 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Contact Muck Boots
http://www.muckbootcompany.com/about/wa ... fault.aspx

I did, they wanted me to pay shipping each way.....wasn't going to do that. I will try one more pair and if thats how they go again i won't be a customer anymore......If they had of paid the shipping at least back (on a replacement) I would have been inclined to ship them.....they assumed i was full of it or something and weren't willing to pay shipping.

Premature faliure and lack of good customer support is why I left Lacrosse, seems muck decided to take the same route......I can easily wear cabelas brand and they will take them back without question.......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:24 pm

may have just been that pair of boots. I haven't ever had that issue. I am on my third pair. More because of the briars during drives. Never had an issue except cuts.

Joe

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:45 pm

I have a pair of Muck Uplanders for wet days, they have good traction and are comfortable. Danner Sharptails held up and were comfortable but the waterproofing didn't impress me. I have a pair of Chippewa's now, they have kept their waterproofing better than the Danner's but it is too early to see how durable the rest of the boot is.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am

I don't think that a waterproof pair of leather boots exists. At least not in my experience. Walking in wet grass will get my feet much wetter than wading in water.

jforgey

Post by jforgey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:59 pm

I have a pair of Wolverine Forresters (non-insulated) that I have worn through mud and water 6" deep with no leaks. Wolverine has an insulated boot (Pathfinder). Very light and comfortable. Feels like a sneaker.

On the leather boots I wear, I oil them myself and seal the seams with silicone spray.

However, the best advise I can give....buy your boots from Cabellas. They have great customer service and would take your boots back. Good luck.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:43 am

rinker wrote:I don't think that a waterproof pair of leather boots exists. At least not in my experience. Walking in wet grass will get my feet much wetter than wading in water.
I am wondering the same about all non-rubber boots, in regards to walking vs wading.

I was past the 90 day store warranty, but within Itasca's 1 year warranty. I thought Gander Mountain might make me exchange them for the same pair, but they said I could pick anything out. That didn't give me a huge amount of choices, as there were 5 pair total of women's upland boots. Two of them were the same as my return, except in different insulation grams. The 3rd was still an Itasca. The other 2 were Lacrosse's that I also had a previous problem with. Went to the men's department where nothing went small enough and the youth's where nothing went big enough and there wasn't much selection either. They offered my money back and I ran with it. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions. :wink:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 pm

If it does not say Gor-Tex pass it by. I have been wearing Ecco's for years, love the feel...Prety much a hiking boot I wear now, can only find them online..I have terrible feet and they are the most comfortable. I have a nice RockPort GT too. Danner makes a good boot too..Online pretty much gives free shipping and free shipping to return....Amazon quarantees anything at anytime....
brenda

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:58 pm

I gotta comment on this because I have noticed the same thing. I've had Gore-Tex boots for years. I used to like Rocky's but now I buy Wolverine boots because they (at least some of them) are still made in the USA. Assembled here, anyway... But I've noticed that stepping in a puddle, wading across a stream, they are indeed waterproof. but walk 150 yards in wet grass and my feet are soaked through. I wonder why this is? It's the same with the Cabela's Gore-Tex Guide brush pants I have, which I no longer use. But that's the subject of another post.

I have two pairs of Muck boots I use for hunting - Woody Sports. They are 100% waterproof, and although I've punctured both pairs they are easy to fix with Shoe Goo. 24 hours later, they are 100% waterproof again.

I will also say that if you are going to buy a rubber boot with leather uppers, get the LL Bean boot. 100% guaranteed for as long as you own it. Return at any time, no questions asked, and they'll give you a new pair. It doesn't matter if it's been 10 weeks or 10 years. You just can't beat that. And they are also still made here in the USA - in Maine. Can't beat that either.

Idahohunter

Post by Idahohunter » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 am

Like others have mentioned, Danner has some great boots. Try and get their American made stuff. Even though it is a bit more expensive it is worth it. If you want to fork over the bigger bucks ($300-400) and get a pair of boots that will last you at least 3-4 years (unless you chukar hunt everyday then probably only 2) check out some Kenetreck boots. I got my first pair from a company called High Mountain Outfitters and they are fantastic! Between elk, deer, and chukar hunting I have easily put over a couple hundred miles on these bad boys and they are in a league of their own. Boots are one of the few things I don't like to skimp out on when it comes to gear.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm a big fan of Danner boots (and I'm a woman too). But when it's raining or wet or muddy out, I pull out the trusty green rubber boots and wear them. I have a new pair of zip up Danners and they are VERY comfortable.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:09 pm

I just bought a pair of Under Armor's HAW boot, torture test to follow..............

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

klewis

Post by klewis » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:18 pm

cant be4at the ll beans ,get the ones that says main hunting shoe .jmo

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:37 am

birddog1968 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:Contact Muck Boots
http://www.muckbootcompany.com/about/wa ... fault.aspx

I did, they wanted me to pay shipping each way.....wasn't going to do that. I will try one more pair and if thats how they go again i won't be a customer anymore......If they had of paid the shipping at least back (on a replacement) I would have been inclined to ship them.....they assumed i was full of it or something and weren't willing to pay shipping.

Premature faliure and lack of good customer support is why I left Lacrosse, seems muck decided to take the same route......I can easily wear cabelas brand and they will take them back without question.......
Through the past year or two cabelas has drastically changed their return policy. They question a lot now and don't like to follow through. I worked there for a few years and saw a lot of stuff that should have been taken back and the customer was told sorry... Per management... Etc. not what they will tell you when you are purchasing.

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:58 pm

I have Muck boots and love them. I also have all leather hunting boots when I know it will be dry.

I just looked at the Muck site. You might look at the Uplander Lace-Up Hiking Boot. It would give a lot more support
because it laces up. %100 water proof. If they are like the others they will be comfortable.

$169.00 I believe. I have more boots than I need, but if I didn't I would be giving these a try.

Mike

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Just purchased a pair of Under Armor H.A.W. boot, about just like a muck boot, fit nice and feel good....time to torture them and see what they will take.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

MTR

Post by MTR » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 am

Probably 10 years ago I bought a pair of Browning kangaroo featherweight upland boots with the shark skin capped toe. They are a 10" boot and very light. I have the un-insulated version. I think I paid $225 for them. Absolutely loved those boots, waterproof with real Gortex and never have wet feet. After 6 years of hard use, they were ready to start to be retired, they had a crack in the leather on the sides - but are still waterproof. I bought another pair from sportsman's guide for $125. I have the older ones as backups in the car and wear them maybe one out of 5 times. Last year I saw that they were closing these boots out and bought 2 more pair at that price. I took them out of the box, oiled them up a little, put them back in the box and put them on the shelf. I figure that I am good to go for 10 years+/- . I have horrible ankles. I could roll my ankle stepping on a BB. I like the support that these give. I see that the only have the 8" featherweights with gortex uppers now.

I have tried the muck type boots but have had issues with ankle stability and I really couldn't get over the fact that the neoprene uppers got destroyed by the multaflora rose rather quickly in the training fields.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 am

Ive also got a pair of 10" , 600 gram cabelas guide boots....been real happy with them to this point. Can't say as I wear them in alot of wet conditions because i wear the knee boots when its wet or i know I am going to have to cross ditches of creeks.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

brule

Post by brule » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Best pair of boots that I've ever owned and would recommend to anyone are Asolo's. Put quite a few hundred miles on the ones I've got right now and they're still waterproof. Owned all kinds of different boots and nothing has compared to these. If I'm walking in damp fields or snow over the boot I like to wear gaitors that go over the top of the boot and clip to the front boot lace. With a good gaitor, something like a Kenetrek you'll be able to do crick crossings with water over the top of the boot. And I don't know what kind of terrain or how many miles you plan on putting on your feet, but if you're doing any type of steep terrain or lots of miles I myself would stay away from muck boots. I do own a pair, but there strictly used for when I'm heading out duck hunting.